Problems with new PDK gearbox

Problems with new PDK gearbox

Author
Discussion

jcm12345

Original Poster:

9 posts

135 months

Wednesday 17th September 2008
quotequote all
Hi, I got a new 911 with a PDK gearbox about 10 days ago. It's spent the last 5 days back at the garage, as the gearbox locks itself in one gear, and "gearbox failure" or something similar comes up on the display.

The garage and the factory don't know what's wrong and are trying to work out how to fix it.

Has anyone else had problems with the PDK gearbox?

Thanks

Christoffer

472 posts

145 months

Wednesday 17th September 2008
quotequote all
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope Porsche can fix it ASAP.

bcnrml

2,107 posts

158 months

Wednesday 17th September 2008
quotequote all
jcm12345 said:
Hi, I got a new 911 with a PDK gearbox about 10 days ago. It's spent the last 5 days back at the garage, as the gearbox locks itself in one gear, and "gearbox failure" or something similar comes up on the display.

The garage and the factory don't know what's wrong and are trying to work out how to fix it.

Has anyone else had problems with the PDK gearbox?

Thanks
"gearbox failure" sounds terminal to me (on the basis that the error message is designed to be accurate).

Sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted.

ARAF

20,731 posts

171 months

Wednesday 17th September 2008
quotequote all
Sorry to hear your woes, and hope it gets sorted quickly. I was thinking of going for the PDK on the facelift 987, so would be interested to hear the outcome.

Good of you 997 guys to beta test it for us. wink

jjcodex

376 posts

164 months

Wednesday 17th September 2008
quotequote all
had a pdk 997 on test for a few days and covered about 500 odd miles in it with absolutely no problems at all - was very good indeed.

I am sure that this is a one off, and Porsche will sort and put it back as it should be

JJ

forza whites

2,555 posts

143 months

Thursday 18th September 2008
quotequote all
ARAF said:
Sorry to hear your woes, and hope it gets sorted quickly. I was thinking of going for the PDK on the facelift 987, so would be interested to hear the outcome.

Good of you 997 guys to beta test it for us. wink
Do you mean 998? the 987 is a boxster?

uktrailmonster

4,827 posts

148 months

Thursday 18th September 2008
quotequote all
forza whites said:
ARAF said:
Sorry to hear your woes, and hope it gets sorted quickly. I was thinking of going for the PDK on the facelift 987, so would be interested to hear the outcome.

Good of you 997 guys to beta test it for us. wink
Do you mean 998? the 987 is a boxster?
No I think he does mean Boxster.

uktrailmonster

4,827 posts

148 months

Thursday 18th September 2008
quotequote all
jjcodex said:


I am sure that this is a one off, and Porsche will sort and put it back as it should be
Hope you're right, but why are you so sure? There are not many "1 off failures" of anything I know about.

R5GTTGaz

7,897 posts

168 months

Thursday 18th September 2008
quotequote all
[cynical] Retaliation to the Nissan GTR Gearbox thread [/cynical]

Diesel130

1,549 posts

160 months

Thursday 18th September 2008
quotequote all
uktrailmonster said:
jjcodex said:


I am sure that this is a one off, and Porsche will sort and put it back as it should be
Hope you're right, but why are you so sure? There are not many "1 off failures" of anything I know about.
Hmmm ... is PDK the new RMS ?

ARAF

20,731 posts

171 months

Thursday 18th September 2008
quotequote all
ARAF said:
Sorry to hear your woes, and hope it gets sorted quickly. I was thinking of going for the PDK on the facelift 987, so would be interested to hear the outcome.
Good of you 997 guys to beta test it for us. wink
forza whites said:
Do you mean 998? the 987 is a boxster?
UKTM is right, I do mean the Boxster/Cayman. I have no need for rear seats, and have not been successful enough in life to buy a 911. wink
The facelift 997 already has PDK, the 987 is to get it when the facelift comes out in March (maybe).

ARAF

20,731 posts

171 months

Thursday 18th September 2008
quotequote all
Diesel130 said:
Hmmm ... is PDK the new RMS ?
Do you really think that Porsche has fixed the RMS problem. laugh

David911RSR

1,421 posts

158 months

Thursday 18th September 2008
quotequote all
jcm12345 said:
Hi, I got a new 911 with a PDK gearbox about 10 days ago. It's spent the last 5 days back at the garage, as the gearbox locks itself in one gear, and "gearbox failure" or something similar comes up on the display.

The garage and the factory don't know what's wrong and are trying to work out how to fix it.

Has anyone else had problems with the PDK gearbox?

Thanks
Good job you still have the faithfull 996 as back up.....

jjcodex

376 posts

164 months

Friday 19th September 2008
quotequote all
this is benchmark technology from a reputable manufacturer, and the truth of the matter is that it is far more likely that this fault is related to a faulty sensor telling the gearbox ecu that it is not very well, rather than because it is actually not very well.

If the issue was mechanical then it represents a repeatable failure, which would have been picked up in testing given how young and low miles this car is.

I think it is a one off because early doors failures like these tend to be in my opinion - ie a faulty piece of equipment or component.

If the car was a year old however, I may have thought differently.

Of course the above is in my humble opinion!

I always think of the lightbulb model (as in the old fashoined style). Bulbs are likley to either fail very very quickly (ie immediately) or when they eventually expire. The early failures are usually due to manufacturing faults, and the late are due to the component wearing out (for example the RMS).

JJ



uktrailmonster said:
jjcodex said:


I am sure that this is a one off, and Porsche will sort and put it back as it should be
Hope you're right, but why are you so sure? There are not many "1 off failures" of anything I know about.

Gunny Sergeant D

2,248 posts

188 months

Friday 19th September 2008
quotequote all
PDK is very likely to be bought in technology. Teething trouble with new technology release is usual.

shoestring7

5,724 posts

194 months

Friday 19th September 2008
quotequote all
Gunny Sergeant D said:
PDK is very likely to be bought in technology. Teething trouble with new technology release is usual.
Its built by ZF, not sure about the control systems,

SS7

jcm12345

Original Poster:

9 posts

135 months

Saturday 18th October 2008
quotequote all
Well I got the car back 2 or 3 weeks ago, but was never 100% sure about it. It's now back at the garage with more gearbox problems. After making some lumpy gearchanges over a few days, it started making awful noises from the transmission.

Time to get my money back.

bcnrml

2,107 posts

158 months

Saturday 18th October 2008
quotequote all
jcm12345 said:
Well I got the car back 2 or 3 weeks ago, but was never 100% sure about it. It's now back at the garage with more gearbox problems. After making some lumpy gearchanges over a few days, it started making awful noises from the transmission.

Time to get my money back.
Did they change the gearbox or "fix" it?

jcm12345

Original Poster:

9 posts

135 months

Saturday 18th October 2008
quotequote all
First time round, they changed a sensor and re-calibrated the mechanism. Which worked, for a while.

forza whites

2,555 posts

143 months

Saturday 18th October 2008
quotequote all
jcm12345 said:
Well I got the car back 2 or 3 weeks ago, but was never 100% sure about it. It's now back at the garage with more gearbox problems. After making some lumpy gearchanges over a few days, it started making awful noises from the transmission.

Time to get my money back.
As the gearbox failed within 30 days of taking delivery of the 'goods' ....you are entitled to a FULL REFUND of the purchase price...

Hope it all works out?

I know of one OPC who's PDK demonstrator is/was playing up....