this correct ยฃ475 Road tax

this correct ยฃ475 Road tax

Author
Discussion

ratboiler

Original Poster:

395 posts

155 months

Monday 2nd April 2012
quotequote all
Can you guys please confirm, I have just taxed the car via the post office mainly because I have just bought it and the tax ran out yesterday. I used the owner transfer slip which can be used once but had no details on it and paid £460 for a year.
I went onto the Government site and it states £475

glow worm

4,594 posts

191 months

Monday 2nd April 2012
quotequote all
You should be paying £215 and it should say PLG..... e-mail me so you can send me a cheque biggrin

Quite a few TVRs have been incorrectly registered on the V5C . Because they were manufactured under a Ministers Approval Certificate and not large volume producing certification they are registered as Private Light Goods Vehicles regardless of year of manufacture. Hence no emmissions rating should be on the V5C , hence £215.

The best way to correct it, is by looking at the DVLA website and follow the procedure for "incorrect information on V5C". I sent mine to the address using "signfor or special delivery" to make sure the DVLA Swansea could not claim they had lost it . Phoning or going to your local DVLA I found to be a waste of time. Post it, accommpanied with a letter saying its incorrectly registered and should be PLG .... because of small volume manufacture under a Ministers Approval Certificate.

PS .... You should get a refund smile

Edited by glow worm on Monday 2nd April 08:16

V8 GRF

7,291 posts

174 months

Monday 2nd April 2012
quotequote all
It shouldn't be either. No TVR ever underwent the CO2 tests so can't be taxed according to its emmissions so it's classed as a PLG and thats £215.

If your car has been incorrectly assessed you can appeal to have it changed and several owners on here have done,I know glow worm did.

ETA Here's the thread I remembered

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&a...

Edited by V8 GRF on Monday 2nd April 08:18

Dutch_Cerbera

417 posts

156 months

Monday 2nd April 2012
quotequote all
V8 GRF said:
It shouldn't be either. No TVR ever underwent the CO2 tests so can't be taxed according to its emmissions so it's classed as a PLG and thats £215.

If your car has been incorrectly assessed you can appeal to have it changed and several owners on here have done,I know glow worm did.

ETA Here's the thread I remembered

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&a...

Edited by V8 GRF on Monday 2nd April 08:18
strange, on the V5 of my Tuscan S there was a CO2 emission figure

V8 GRF

7,291 posts

174 months

Monday 2nd April 2012
quotequote all
Dutch_Cerbera said:
strange, on the V5 of my Tuscan S there was a CO2 emission figure
If you read the thread I linked to you'll see that there were some 'assumptions' made by mistake on some of the later cars.

PuffsBack

2,321 posts

189 months

Monday 2nd April 2012
quotequote all
My Cerbera Speed 6 V5 is currently in the process of being changed. Tax was £265 (on March 1st) instead of £215. The V5 gives a reading of 372 G/KG.

blueg33

26,066 posts

188 months

Monday 2nd April 2012
quotequote all
£215 here paid last week

Phil Tudhope

92 posts

183 months

Monday 2nd April 2012
quotequote all
Had exactly the same problem with my Tuscan Convertible.

Wrote to the local DVLA office. Phoned them numerous times. Didn't receive my letter of course, had no record of me phoning before etc etc.

Eventually went through DVLA Swansea and after a number of recorded delivery letters and e-mails I eventually got my V5 changed + a nice cheque for 2 years worth of excess payment of road tax.

Took me about 7 months in all - but worth it.

Phil.

RIP james

329 posts

182 months

Monday 9th April 2012
quotequote all
ratboiler said:
Can you guys please confirm, I have just taxed the car via the post office mainly because I have just bought it and the tax ran out yesterday. I used the owner transfer slip which can be used once but had no details on it and paid £460 for a year.
I went onto the Government site and it states £475
Can someone help me with the way foward with this car tax over paymant please.30th April 2011 i paid £143.00 for 6 months at £245.00 for year, 31st October 2011 i paid £143.00 for 6 months at £260.00 for year on the v11 tax form.Has someone the direct number so i can phone them please about this.

scotty_d

6,795 posts

158 months

Monday 9th April 2012
quotequote all
glow worm said:
You should be paying £215 and it should say PLG..... e-mail me so you can send me a cheque biggrin
£220 a year now did mine last week frown

Arapo

244 posts

143 months

Monday 9th April 2012
quotequote all
I have been paying £260... 2001 Tuscan S...

RIP james

329 posts

182 months

Monday 9th April 2012
quotequote all
Arapo said:
I have been paying £260... 2001 Tuscan S...
Looks like we are in the same boat then.

RIP james

329 posts

182 months

Tuesday 10th April 2012
quotequote all
RIP james said:
Arapo said:
I have been paying £260... 2001 Tuscan S...
Looks like we are in the same boat then.
I spoke with DVLA today and they said 2001 march onwards are at the a new rate of tax.Under 2001 are cheaper.

glow worm

4,594 posts

191 months

Wednesday 11th April 2012
quotequote all
RIP james said:
I spoke with DVLA today and they said 2001 march onwards are at the a new rate of tax.Under 2001 are cheaper.
The people on the phone always say that...They don't understand about Ministers Approval Certificates and PLGs... I keep telling people its a waste of time ringing them. just follow my instructions.

My 2006 car on https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app...




AND DO AS THIS SAYS !!!!



Edited by glow worm on Wednesday 11th April 06:43

RIP james

329 posts

182 months

Wednesday 11th April 2012
quotequote all
glow worm said:
The people on the phone always say that...They don't understand about Ministers Approval Certificates and PLGs... I keep telling people its a waste of time ringing them. just follow my instructions.

My 2006 car on https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app...




AND DO AS THIS SAYS !!!!



Edited by glow worm on Wednesday 11th April 06:43
Whot is your co2 my is 405 g/km on log book.?. There saying some late ones are whot your saying and pree 2001. colin 07711919568

glow worm

4,594 posts

191 months

Wednesday 11th April 2012
quotequote all
Thats the problem your V5C should not have an CO2 emmision figure it should be blank because its under a Ministers Approval Small Volume produced manufature.... 405 is correct for a Speed 6, rover v8 5litre 398.3, etc. The year of manufacture is irrelevant.

Your Taxation Class probably says PETROL CAR .... thats the issue it should say PRIVATE/LIGHT GOODS (PLG) which means an emmissions figure is not required.

I know it sounds stupid that a sportcar is a Light Goods Vehicle but thats how all pre 2001 cars appear on V5C.


Just send your V5C to Swansea and tell them its in error and needs correcting to Taxation Class PLG ...

Just be glad its not a new Ferrari with 416 kg/km.... £1000 car tax for the first two years !!!!

Tom8

465 posts

118 months

Wednesday 18th April 2012
quotequote all
With the tax being related to emmissions, what do they compare the emmissions to during a MOT? What is acceptable if there is no number for a TVR?

glow worm

4,594 posts

191 months

Wednesday 18th April 2012
quotequote all
Tom8 said:
With the tax being related to emmissions, what do they compare the emmissions to during a MOT? What is acceptable if there is no number for a TVR?
Emmissions for MOTs are Carbon Monoxide (CO) for safety reason, Emmissions for Tax purposes are Carbon Dioxide (CO2) for gas gussling reasons smile and which poor buggers have the money to pay the government.

justyr

337 posts

176 months

Thursday 19th April 2012
quotequote all
Agree with the comment about not ringing these organisations. Same goes for HMRC et al. When you phone you get an individual whose job it is to put you off regardless of the validity of your claim, or extract money from you, and who deals with 'tiresome phone calls' all day, every day.
The correct thing to do is to send a letter recorded delivery, outlining accurately all the key points along with a clear statement of what you want out of it and why and by when. They are then obliged to follow up your case and write back to you with an outcome/decision. You then have a paper trail which forms a legal foundation/basis in fact.

Phil Tudhope

92 posts

183 months

Monday 18th June 2012
quotequote all
My Tuscan now basks in the glory of only costing £220 per year in Road Tax.

meanwhile, my Porsche Cayman costs £460 per year !! This is due to the £100 per year hike in tax in this year's budget for cars with 226 g/km CO2 or higher.

The Cayman is officially 227 g/km !!mad