Which dream weekend car up to say £85k

Which dream weekend car up to say £85k

Author
Discussion

DjSki

Original Poster:

921 posts

133 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
Its now or never...in a few years I'll be 50........have had a few good years at work and I could now afford something special for european trips and sunny weekends for a couple of years.

I think there are only two options for me, an F430 (would have to be an F1 at my budget) or a 997.1 GT3. Needs to be very special/iconic car that has a good chance of retaining value.

Has anyone driven both and importantly experienced the costs of running both? Any input?

I was hoping that once I had a warranty that I would be covered by £2k a year for maintenance, am I dreaming? Would only be 2/3k miles a year.

A warranty on any purchase would be needed for me to enjoy ownership and not worry too much, so a main dealer sourced car could be the way to go.....or is it? Are there any Ferrari specialists that offer solid warranties that you can recommend?

Ferrari Wilmslow have a 28k F430 up at £80k, anyone know it?

https://preowned.ferrari.com/en/gb/search/2006/fer...

Any views/info gratefully recieved.

blueg33

20,299 posts

162 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
For me it would be the Ferrari. Porsche 911 is just too common

drcarrera

505 posts

163 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
Audi R8 V10 manual? Not the last word in handling delicacy but a great car nonetheless. Can't see them dropping much further price wise and much cheaper ownership costs than an F430.

Personally I think somthing like this https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/... looks far more "special" than a black F430.

If you want one for sunny days and Euro trips you could get a nice convertible one as well...

Edited by drcarrera on Saturday 26th January 15:55

DjSki

Original Poster:

921 posts

133 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
drcarrera said:
Audi R8 V10 manual? Not the last word in handling delicacy but a great car nonetheless. Can't see them dropping much further price wise and much cheaper ownership costs than an F430.

Personally I think somthing like this https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/... looks far more "special" than a black F430.

If you want one for sunny days and Euro trips you could get a nice convertible one as well...

Edited by drcarrera on Saturday 26th January 15:55
Had this on an initial list and I love the sound of a V10 more than a V8 but thought it wouldn't feel special enough. The interiors just feel like you are sat in an RS3...I'm not a bag snob (I love the GR and would own one) but its an Audi. If I had a £50k budget then I think things would be different as v10s at this money are real value.

drcarrera

505 posts

163 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
Fair enough. Aston Vantage?
Advertisement

SydneyBridge

4,120 posts

96 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
Ferrari California?

MDL111

3,125 posts

115 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
I think for sense of occasion a 430 is hard to beat - maybe an LP-560 if they are available at that budget

I’d say for people who want a Ferrari, they will eventually buy one (and many sell them again after a - often - short ownership period for various reasons). Itch needs scratching etc

I would not disregard a manual 360 (possibly convertible) - I think they have aged really well and a click clack Ferrari manual is very hard to beat ....

DjSki

Original Poster:

921 posts

133 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
drcarrera said:
Fair enough. Aston Vantage?


Like the V12 Vantage S which can be had from dealers from £70k but I worry about medium term values, which are important to me. See these continuing to tank for a while, whereas I can't see a f430 ever being less than £60k....

DjSki

Original Poster:

921 posts

133 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
SydneyBridge said:
Ferrari California?
Bum's far too big.

I know the 430 is marmite looking, but I love it.

DjSki

Original Poster:

921 posts

133 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
I think for sense of occasion a 430 is hard to beat - maybe an LP-560 if they are available at that budget

I’d say for people who want a Ferrari, they will eventually buy one (and many sell them again after a - often - short ownership period for various reasons). Itch needs scratching etc

I would not disregard a manual 360 (possibly convertible) - I think they have aged really well and a click clack Ferrari manual is very hard to beat ....
Agreed but I'm not a huge fan of the styling, bit soft for me. I think 430 manuals are going to come down as the bubble continues to soften......one debate was do I wait a bit and see if they reach my budget......but think it might be a year.

Vergis

433 posts

180 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
Lamborghini LP560 . Modern day super car power and looks

markj113

41 posts

113 months

Saturday 26th January
quotequote all
Another vote the LP560, superb engine, reliable and looks wild enough to still turn heads.

Love mine.

crimbo

1,209 posts

166 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
DjSki said:
whereas I can't see a f430 ever being less than £60k....
Wont be the first time they have been lower,
With the risk of sounding boring it may be worth just waiting a year to see just how the market is effected. Cars may drop a little more than normal and it may free up some more options.

Potentially you might not be far away from 991 gt3, gen2 r8, mclaren money which will all be able to have warranty and be a bit newer

akadk

675 posts

117 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
In 2012 when looking for my first V10 R8, 430 Manuals Approved were £60-70k.

PompeyReece

454 posts

27 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
A Gen 2 R8, for the money, is probably the best deal you can get - for that you can pick up something with 5,000 miles on the clock and enjoy a newish car with an amazing NA engine.

However if your head really wants something more exotic you're talking about an Aston Martin, Ferrari, McLaren or Lamborghini - Porsche not exotic enough.

Personally, I would take the negative McLaren comments on here and put them in context of overall ownership in the real world rather than just a forum. So a 12C, Gallardo, 360, 430 will get your something older with higher mileage, a Vantage something newer.

Just test drive them all - you could end up being surprised.


RSbandit

431 posts

70 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
Have had a V10 plus R8 and currently have a V12 Vantage S, both great cars and you couldn't go wrong with either tbh. If the R8 badge is too plain then the obvious alternative would be an older LP 560 the V10 really is a masterpiece of an engine and imo the Gallardo still looks wonderful despite the designs age. Nice problem to have anyway enjoy the hunt!

DjSki

Original Poster:

921 posts

133 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
crimbo said:
DjSki said:
whereas I can't see a f430 ever being less than £60k....
Wont be the first time they have been lower,
With the risk of sounding boring it may be worth just waiting a year to see just how the market is effected. Cars may drop a little more than normal and it may free up some more options.

Potentially you might not be far away from 991 gt3, gen2 r8, mclaren money which will all be able to have warranty and be a bit newer
I know, things could keep sliding.....it’s a constant debate. Don’t think I’ve ever managed to call the bottom of any market though....

DjSki

Original Poster:

921 posts

133 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
Vergis said:
Lamborghini LP560 . Modern day super car power and looks
The only Lambo I love is the Murci’ but way out of budget. The smaller lambos aren’t my thing....apart fron the epic sound of course!

DjSki

Original Poster:

921 posts

133 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
PompeyReece said:
A Gen 2 R8, for the money, is probably the best deal you can get - for that you can pick up something with 5,000 miles on the clock and enjoy a newish car with an amazing NA engine.

However if your head really wants something more exotic you're talking about an Aston Martin, Ferrari, McLaren or Lamborghini - Porsche not exotic enough.

Personally, I would take the negative McLaren comments on here and put them in context of overall ownership in the real world rather than just a forum. So a 12C, Gallardo, 360, 430 will get your something older with higher mileage, a Vantage something newer.

Just test drive them all - you could end up being surprised.
100% agree that an MC12 is the supercar bargain of the moment and I do love the look of it. The warranty cost is the main worry and the overall complexity of the thing. Plus in my mind it sounds a bit flat compared to the competition. If I had a bit more money it’s what I would get.

MrVert

2,859 posts

177 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
I've owned both 997 GT3 & F430.

Had the GT3 for 3 yrs, great drivers car, the handling and feel are superb, as is the high revving race derived engine. On a cross country run, you'll feel totally connected, engine, manual gear change, steering all giving you sensory overload. They are a bit of a handful in the wet, P Zero Corsa tyres will have you aquaplaning at anything over 50mph in a downpour...

Costs wise, £1200 Porsche warranty (not essential with a GT3), service are £700 & £1200, every 2 yrs or 20k miles. Fuel, about 20mpg on a hoon.

The F430 is different, not quite a poised but still very direct, feels great in the steering and of course the noise is a serious step up (especially if you unplug the exhaust valves....). The F1 is a bit clunky but once you learn how to drive it (slight lift when changing) it is a great 'box. Really great fun to bang through the gears. A spirited hoon in the Ferrari will make you laugh out loud compared to the GT3. Warranty is approx. £2.5k, services £900 & £1500 alternatively. If something goes wrong, it will be a more expensive car to own no doubt. Fuel...... ahem..... hehe

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are after 'sense of occasion' rather than the 'best' or 'fastest' car (which is subjective).

Both of the above will get you into trouble of you even try to approach their limits on the road, as will most cars mentioned in this thread, so it's the overall ownership experience and feel good factor that will count.

In that respect, I'd have the F430 over the GT3. It just gives you more, feels more special and that's what it's all about.

If you can find one with carbon racing seats, snap it up. They have you set lower down and feel great.

Have fun in your search thumbup

Edit to add: after a quick search, I'd be looking at this one
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...

Edited by MrVert on Sunday 27th January 10:20