Collecting Cars auction results

Collecting Cars auction results

Author
Discussion

handyman 1417

230 posts

142 months

Thursday 2nd July
quotequote all
The ‘Killer Bug’ isn’t preventing most of the population going to a supermarket to view their purchases prior to paying or gathering in their thousands for demos and sunbathing, so can’t see any rational justification for not looking at a car!
The buyer pays the CC commission on the hammer and settles up privately with the seller. There’s no after auction bartering as it’s NOT eBay!

Cheib

18,963 posts

131 months

Thursday 2nd July
quotequote all
OldAndTired said:
Terrible first post but couldn’t stop myself responding to the negative nellies!

First off it’s a business model that you don’t have to participate in. And if you think you can do better then it’s a free market so go ahead - no one is stopping you.

Secondly auctions operate under buyer beware. If you want the protection that is offered by a main dealer then stop blathering about CC should do this or CC should do that and buy a car from a main dealer.

Thirdly there is no doubt a percentage of these cars that are put up for sale will be in dubious condition, with dubious history - some humans are unethical. It’s life.

The trade who bid on this site understand this. They accept the “percentages”. They know they will get hurt once in a while, and end up with a dog, but if they are more skilful than others their edge will make them profitable over time.

An individual buying just one car has to accept that Variance in risk and understand they might draw the short straw. If they stick to cars still under warranty or know the history then they can reduce their risk.

But these posters who demand CC should do this or that for instance in the case of the F12 should switch off and go trot down to their local main dealer. They need to realise that many people have a greater risk appetite than them and that the world doesn’t exist to suit their individual preference.

First post over. I feel better.
Have to say I agree with a lot of that....really don’t understand people complaining about it. If you don’t like it don’t look at it ! What’s clever is how they’re marketing it through Chris Harris’s Podcast. That;s a big part of why it’s grown so quickly....that and I think the fact that they’ve leverage existing relationships to get dealers like DK to use it.


Edited by Cheib on Thursday 2nd July 22:12

500 Miles

1,301 posts

182 months

Thursday 2nd July
quotequote all
I think it’s a great site - well thought through and executed.

Good detailed and well written descriptions of the cars, good interesting stock which is added to almost daily - I used to only ever use my iPad for reading Pistonheads, I now check collecting cars on a daily basis.

I’ve bid for 4 things (iirc) an Ariel Atom, a red 993 Turbo, a silver 993 turbo and 2 tickets to watch top gear being filmed.

I was lucky enough to ‘win’ the silver 993 turbo yesterday and the tickets about 2 months ago.

I haven’t seen the car yet but have exchanged messages with the seller, auction fees have already been paid and the payment for the car to the seller will go through tomorrow. Is it riskier than buying off a main dealer? Of course but life is about taking risks, most will work out - some won’t - it’s all part of the fun.

Obviously I’ll look forward to the piss taking when I’m on the Porsche section complaining about a blown engine smile


Mezzanine

5,037 posts

175 months

Thursday 2nd July
quotequote all
Well done, that looks very tasty.

500 Miles

1,301 posts

182 months

Thursday 2nd July
quotequote all
Mezzanine said:
Well done, that looks very tasty.
Thanks buddy.

Looking forward to getting it - had a poster of one as a kid on my bedroom wall, have been looking for ages. Not a huge fan of the blue interior and will probably have this changed.

Purso

679 posts

58 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
Nice work 500 miles!!! Very jealous

Lemanandbeyond

112 posts

12 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
500 Miles said:
That is lovely, congratulations.

Krikkit

18,983 posts

137 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
Lemanandbeyond said:
500 Miles said:
That is lovely, congratulations.
Yep, properly gorgeous.

I know photos are always slightly flattering, but that looks absolutely minty save for the seat/control wear, and even that's insignificant. Hope it turns out to be a good 'un. smile

MDL111

4,652 posts

133 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
That Turbo looks lovely

Will be interesting to see what the 2.7 RS gets to

likesachange

1,893 posts

150 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
The nicest 911 turbo IMO well done! Although the wrong colour biggrin

CostaBrava1972

38 posts

8 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
I like that colour!

I've only bought two cars at auction - but in each case I was able turn up and physically inspect it closely before bidding & winning on the hammer. They do say that if you buy - and win - anything at auction, then by definition you will have paid too much for it. Both the cars I won at auction were classics of one sort or another. They each turned out - post sale - to be hiding significant mechanical defects which would have become immediately apparent on that test drive which I knew I couldn't have, and which no car auction I've ever attended myself would have allowed me to try anyway.

The first broke down on Snake Pass, driving away from the sale (which was fine, because I'm in a recovery club) and the second wouldn't start after sale (although it would pre-sale) and took me an extra three-hundred mile round trip with a trailer to bring home.

However, both cars were unique of their type and exactly what I wanted and needed - unobtainable in any other way. I was delighted with them both. It was then a case of me working through their defects and resolving them myself. Subsequently, I had a whale of a time with both of these cars, then sold each of them later for double (or more) whatever I'd paid at auction.

However, my one golden rule is that I would never, ever bid for or buy at auction any car which I have not physically inspected first, since a camera always flatters to deceive. My other lesson from these experiences was never to buy at auction any car which is sufficiently widely available elsewhere that I can buy one conventionally from a nice vendor in person, instead (i.e. by turning up and having a good look and a chat, then taking it out for a test drive to reveal any problems).

Having said all that, the one car which I would never, ever buy at auction at any price is the late, great Lancia Delta Integrale. They can look great in photos but conceal a whole mountain of structural grief beneath their blistered bodywork. And that's although - after my sermon above - even the very rattiest example will always prove completely sensational, out on the road-test........



Edited by CostaBrava1972 on Friday 3rd July 11:00

AndrewD

7,157 posts

240 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
500 Miles said:
I think it’s a great site - well thought through and executed.

Good detailed and well written descriptions of the cars, good interesting stock which is added to almost daily - I used to only ever use my iPad for reading Pistonheads, I now check collecting cars on a daily basis.

I’ve bid for 4 things (iirc) an Ariel Atom, a red 993 Turbo, a silver 993 turbo and 2 tickets to watch top gear being filmed.

I was lucky enough to ‘win’ the silver 993 turbo yesterday and the tickets about 2 months ago.

I haven’t seen the car yet but have exchanged messages with the seller, auction fees have already been paid and the payment for the car to the seller will go through tomorrow. Is it riskier than buying off a main dealer? Of course but life is about taking risks, most will work out - some won’t - it’s all part of the fun.

Obviously I’ll look forward to the piss taking when I’m on the Porsche section complaining about a blown engine smile

That looks fantastic thumbup



matt21

3,704 posts

160 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
A friend of mine has just used CC, and here is some of his feedback.

Prior to listing CC did a great job with the description but took a bit of time to get the car uploaded for sale as I guess it was in a queue. Great communication throughout, understandably some pressure to reduce the reserve as the auction progressed. The car didn't sell, but they helped facilitate a sale at much reduced commission which turned out to be a main dealer. Said main dealer bought the car, put it on as a manufacturer's used car and sold it in 24hrs! Overall very positive experience and I am planning to use them at some point.

Does seem for anything newish and relatively common the car sells for a good trade price. The older, rarer stuff seems to make good money,

Harris_I

3,078 posts

215 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
CostaBrava1972 said:
Having said all that, the one car which I would never, ever buy at auction at any price is the late, great Lancia Delta Integrale. They can look great in photos but conceal a whole mountain of structural grief beneath their blistered bodywork. And that's although - after my sermon above - even the very rattiest example will always prove completely sensational, out on the road-test........
laugh As a long time owner of an integrale (2 in fact over 13 years) I chuckled at that. They are indeed all sensational on the road but you would need to bring an X-ray machine with you. I was quite surprised at the prices the three integrales fetched on CC.

The advantage of a car like that is they're rare enough that they're often known in owners' circles or by a well known specialist. In my case, I would simply advise any prospective buyer to give Keith a call at Auto Integrale if they wanted an opinion on the car.

PS I am NEVER selling.

Leftfootwonder

316 posts

14 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
A censored Nova currently at £3k!!! Forget Covid, Brexit, the finanical crisis, rioting, the lot....this is proof the world has gone mad.

cayman-black

9,451 posts

172 months

Friday 3rd July
quotequote all
How many beers did you have before bidding 500? laugh

The car looks great, good luck.

500 Miles

1,301 posts

182 months

Saturday 4th July
quotequote all
cayman-black said:
How many beers did you have before bidding 500? laugh

The car looks great, good luck.
Thanks all - might do a thread to cover the return etc if anyone would find it interesting.

Surprisingly, no beers were consumed smile

I’m on the wagon at the moment, had taken a break from drinking before lockdown and then decided to continue during lockdown - otherwise I’d probably end up drinking every day - circa 125 days so far...

Throughout that period, I’ve often worried about what I would bid on if I had been drinking - I’d definitely have bid to win on the latest Ariel, bid on the first one but didn’t go too high.

spikeyhead

11,745 posts

153 months

Saturday 4th July
quotequote all
500 Miles said:
Thanks all - might do a thread to cover the return etc if anyone would find it interesting.

Surprisingly, no beers were consumed smile

I’m on the wagon at the moment, had taken a break from drinking before lockdown and then decided to continue during lockdown - otherwise I’d probably end up drinking every day - circa 125 days so far...

Throughout that period, I’ve often worried about what I would bid on if I had been drinking - I’d definitely have bid to win on the latest Ariel, bid on the first one but didn’t go too high.
I was surprised how far over list that went for, list £45, bid to £54 +£3k buyers premium.

simonpieman

342 posts

142 months

Saturday 4th July
quotequote all
500 Miles said:
Thanks all - might do a thread to cover the return etc if anyone would find it interesting.
Yes, I’d find that interesting. Please do.

Luke.

8,614 posts

206 months

Saturday 4th July
quotequote all
simonpieman said:
500 Miles said:
Thanks all - might do a thread to cover the return etc if anyone would find it interesting.
Yes, I’d find that interesting. Please do.
Yes please.