Brooklands new year day classic gathering

Brooklands new year day classic gathering

Author
Discussion

GT3-RS

1,063 posts

165 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
Miner49er said:
Being the only car show over the Christmas break, it’s an event my kids and I always look forward to. With Mercedes World on the doorstep, it turns into a decent half-day out. I’m more than happy to pay Brooklands’ entrance fee, particularly as a proportion of it gets reinvested straight back into a venue I’m keen to support.

Hopefully the comments earlier in this thread don’t put anyone off as it’s a great event and always has a good turn-out.

If Brooklands held monthly car meets early on a Sunday morning, then a lower fee to attend would be justifiable, but that’s not what we’re talking about here.
Well said that man....a polite reminder to all the tight wads here.....if you don't support such Venues offering motoring related events then such Venues and events will cease to exist...and one more thing don't forget the workers who set up and run the event for your enjoyment on "NEW YEARS" Day.....think about it.....also as was previously mentioned Membership offers better VFM.....so quit whinging and join up thumbup

RichB

42,290 posts

230 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
Miner49er said:
...If Brooklands held monthly car meets early on a Sunday morning, then a lower fee to attend would be justifiable...
They do don't they?

Huw Janus

1,297 posts

14 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
GT3-RS said:
Miner49er said:
Being the only car show over the Christmas break, it’s an event my kids and I always look forward to. With Mercedes World on the doorstep, it turns into a decent half-day out. I’m more than happy to pay Brooklands’ entrance fee, particularly as a proportion of it gets reinvested straight back into a venue I’m keen to support.

Hopefully the comments earlier in this thread don’t put anyone off as it’s a great event and always has a good turn-out.

If Brooklands held monthly car meets early on a Sunday morning, then a lower fee to attend would be justifiable, but that’s not what we’re talking about here.
Well said that man....a polite reminder to all the tight wads here.....if you don't support such Venues offering motoring related events then such Venues and events will cease to exist...and one more thing don't forget the workers who set up and run the event for your enjoyment on "NEW YEARS" Day.....think about it.....also as was previously mentioned Membership offers better VFM.....so quit whinging and join up thumbup
You're missing the point.
They should have premium events which are chargeable and all the rest, which aren't, but with the opportunity to up-sell and sell extras at the event.
They would get far more people through the door and drive more revenue, which has to be a good thing?
It's £40 for a family ticket which is an awful lot if you go frequently.

If you think it's about being tight then you are being naive.


As a long term member, i have no axe to grind.


Fast Bug

7,369 posts

107 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
I don't think they could fit any more people through the door yesterday even if they wanted to...

Huw Janus

1,297 posts

14 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
I don't think they could fit any more people through the door yesterday even if they wanted to...
Very few events are that well attended.


daydotz

1,519 posts

107 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
Had a good day entry was fair although I'm more put off by the cashier who huffed at my pre paid tickets & how they justify charging extra for gift aid

fatboy18

16,541 posts

157 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
Huw Janus said:
GT3-RS said:
Miner49er said:
Being the only car show over the Christmas break, it’s an event my kids and I always look forward to. With Mercedes World on the doorstep, it turns into a decent half-day out. I’m more than happy to pay Brooklands’ entrance fee, particularly as a proportion of it gets reinvested straight back into a venue I’m keen to support.

Hopefully the comments earlier in this thread don’t put anyone off as it’s a great event and always has a good turn-out.

If Brooklands held monthly car meets early on a Sunday morning, then a lower fee to attend would be justifiable, but that’s not what we’re talking about here.
Well said that man....a polite reminder to all the tight wads here.....if you don't support such Venues offering motoring related events then such Venues and events will cease to exist...and one more thing don't forget the workers who set up and run the event for your enjoyment on "NEW YEARS" Day.....think about it.....also as was previously mentioned Membership offers better VFM.....so quit whinging and join up thumbup
You're missing the point.
They should have premium events which are chargeable and all the rest, which aren't, but with the opportunity to up-sell and sell extras at the event.
They would get far more people through the door and drive more revenue, which has to be a good thing?
It's £40 for a family ticket which is an awful lot if you go frequently.

If you think it's about being tight then you are being naive.


As a long term member, i have no axe to grind.
I've got a few Axes, can you direct me to the Grinding station

Thank you hehe

Stephanie Plum

2,544 posts

157 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
I don't mind paying to get into a show, but I think their fees are excessive. Bicester Heritage runs just as great an event and for a lot less, another example is Cranleigh Classic Car Show - great all day event, £5 per car.

Personally I think the Phoenix at HW is a nicer place to be, and for no charge.

NDA

16,292 posts

171 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
fatboy18 said:
Nik da Greek said:
NDA said:
Why charge exhibitors? The point remains the same and is the reason I don't go.
Sad times. Everyone there really missed you, too
They must have missed me too then tongue out
Well exactly.

It's not about being a tight wad, it just feels wrong to market a 'supercar day' or 'Morgan day' (or whatever theme) to persuade people to visit Brooklands to see these cars - so you turn up in that car and get charged a full entrance fee. No thanks.

As others have said - it's no loss to them and certainly no loss to me. I'll stick with Goodwood. smile

Fast Bug

7,369 posts

107 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
Huw Janus said:
Fast Bug said:
I don't think they could fit any more people through the door yesterday even if they wanted to...
Very few events are that well attended.
I'm aware of that as I go to a few events a year as I'm fairly local. However, I've not been to an event there and thought it was quiet, nor did anyone I talk to complain about the entry price. If you go to a few events there a year, become a member and it works out cheaper.

I've also been to a few events at Bicester, and yes they're cheaper but there's nothing else to see there really. I also went to the Luftgekuhlt meet in the pouring rain and there was virtually nowhere to get out of the rain. One garage and one craft beer place with a few tables, so you couldn't even dodge the rain for a few minutes to have a (soggy) bacon roll and a cup of tea. So whilst it's cheaper, is it better value for money?

Stephanie Plum

2,544 posts

157 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
Nothing else to see at Bicester?! What about all the motorsport businesses there?

RichB

42,290 posts

230 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
I think it's impossible to compare Brooklands to Bicester other than that they both hold events where ownres display their cars.

Stephanie Plum

2,544 posts

157 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
And one is considerably cheaper than the other wink

Fast Bug

7,369 posts

107 months

Wednesday 2nd January
quotequote all
Stephanie Plum said:
Nothing else to see at Bicester?! What about all the motorsport businesses there?
Of which 2 maybe 3 were open at the Luftgekuhlt meet, same with the scramble there weren't that many open and the ones that were had ropes over the door way so you could only peer in.

I'd also be happy paying £10-15 to go to Bicester for a show

Miner49er

373 posts

151 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
The OP posts about a car show, on a motoring forum, for the benefit of a bunch of car enthusiasts, which then results in 6 of the following 8 replies being negative!

The prices to attend are in post 1 and Brooklands’ website clearly states them too. Why anyone feels the need to voice their personal opinion that it’s overpriced baffles me... We can all see the costs and we can all decide on our own, whether we’re willing to pay it. If you aren’t willing to pay it, then just don’t go... We don’t need to know that it’s too expensive for you and we definitely don’t need to know that you’re not even going.

And whilst I’m in the mood... a few of the comments above regarding the perceived privilege of ‘normal’ show-goers to see ‘our’ special cars is quite frankly, cringe-worthy. You make it sound like your attendance is for the sole benefit of everyone else... Get over yourselves.

And another thing... the Brooklands versus Bicester Heritage Business Park debate - that’s like comparing The Natural History Museum with Westfield Shopping Centre.

Everyone attending that show on Tuesday was there for the same reason... to admire the massive contrast in interesting cars and, if lucky enough to own an eligible vehicle, to be a part of this special event.

Rant. Done.

wink

NDA

16,292 posts

171 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
Miner49er said:
Why anyone feels the need to voice their personal opinion...
You're new to forums?

Miner49er

373 posts

151 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
NDA said:
Miner49er said:
Why anyone feels the need to voice their personal opinion...
You're new to forums?
I'm still learning...

I'll add the word 'pointless' next time.

NDA

16,292 posts

171 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
Miner49er said:
NDA said:
Miner49er said:
Why anyone feels the need to voice their personal opinion...
You're new to forums?
I'm still learning...

I'll add the word 'pointless' next time.
It's all pointless.

Huw Janus

1,297 posts

14 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
NDA said:
Miner49er said:
NDA said:
Miner49er said:
Why anyone feels the need to voice their personal opinion...
You're new to forums?
I'm still learning...

I'll add the word 'pointless' next time.
It's all pointless.
Maybe he meant that his pointless post was pointless?


Miner49er

373 posts

151 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
Huw Janus said:
NDA said:
Miner49er said:
NDA said:
Miner49er said:
Why anyone feels the need to voice their personal opinion...
You're new to forums?
I'm still learning...

I'll add the word 'pointless' next time.
It's all pointless.
Maybe he meant that his pointless post was pointless?
Pointless post? Surely you mean pointless point? This post, the above post, the post above that, the post above that and the post above that are all pointless posts.

Don’t really understand the rules, but I’m winning right?