Exhaust Diameter

Exhaust Diameter

Author
Discussion

Big hub

Original Poster:

16 posts

25 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
Hi guys
I have a vxr8, the previous owner has removed the center silencer and has replaced it with straight pipes, but they did not flair the end of the pipes to make a male or female connection so they have welded the replacement pipes together, but these joints won't hold.

So i need to sleave the joints, but I am not sure of the diameter of the pipes without jacking the car up, so can somebody tell me the diameter of the pipes and save me the hassle.
Cheers.

leigh1050

2,091 posts

121 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
What exhaust have you got fitted?
I don't know what the standard size is but I've got a Wortech exhaust and that is 2.5in. dia. Not 100% sure but I think a Walkinshaw is the same.

Boosted LS1

19,122 posts

216 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
OP you need to measure it to be certain. Your sleeve will have to take into account any imperfections unless you smooth the pipes to o/e diameter.

stevieturbo

14,880 posts

203 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
Big hub said:
Hi guys
I have a vxr8, the previous owner has removed the center silencer and has replaced it with straight pipes, but they did not flair the end of the pipes to make a male or female connection so they have welded the replacement pipes together, but these joints won't hold.

So i need to sleave the joints, but I am not sure of the diameter of the pipes without jacking the car up, so can somebody tell me the diameter of the pipes and save me the hassle.
Cheers.
Why do you think a welded pipe wont hold ? That's how metal is joined together....welded.

Boosted LS1

19,122 posts

216 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
Not if done by a pigeon though, it happens. The phrase welding can be descriptive.

Big hub

Original Poster:

16 posts

25 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
Hi there , the pipe has been welded twice by different guys, with no luck.
I think to do the job properly the system would need to come off, using sleaves they are just bolt on

fred bloggs

463 posts

156 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
Goto a quicksilver exhaust place or somewhere like that, let them do it.

Mezzell

107 posts

11 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
Haven’t used them on my Ro but have on a lot of previous cars.......Power Flow have made some nice systems for me. Franchises all over the place as far as I know.

stevieturbo

14,880 posts

203 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
Big hub said:
Hi there , the pipe has been welded twice by different guys, with no luck.
I think to do the job properly the system would need to come off, using sleaves they are just bolt on
There is no issue welding pipes.

Now if the exhaust is not hung properly, something not aligned properly...or the welding is just ste. That is a problem.

But not a single thing wrong with welding two bits together. It does not need sleeved or anything like it.

Although if you were really stuck and cant be arsed welding anything....and you could cut the weld out without it affecting length...ie to create a new butt joint. You can get joint clamps to join two pieces together like that.

Big hub

Original Poster:

16 posts

25 months

Saturday 20th June
quotequote all
Thanks guys

RipGMH

251 posts

14 months

Sunday 21st June
quotequote all
stevieturbo said:
There is no issue welding pipes.

Now if the exhaust is not hung properly, something not aligned properly...or the welding is just ste. That is a problem.

But not a single thing wrong with welding two bits together. It does not need sleeved or anything like it.

Although if you were really stuck and cant be arsed welding anything....and you could cut the weld out without it affecting length...ie to create a new butt joint. You can get joint clamps to join two pieces together like that.
Completely agree. Welding pipe is normal, but being in construction and around a lot of metal and pipe welders there is a huge difference between a decent pipe welder and your average Joe back yard job.

Best bet is to go to an exhaust place, cut out offending weld. If it’s had a few dodgies the gaps probably too big now after a clean up so an insert section will be needed.

stevieturbo

14,880 posts

203 months

Sunday 21st June
quotequote all
RipGMH said:
Completely agree. Welding pipe is normal, but being in construction and around a lot of metal and pipe welders there is a huge difference between a decent pipe welder and your average Joe back yard job.

Best bet is to go to an exhaust place, cut out offending weld. If it’s had a few dodgies the gaps probably too big now after a clean up so an insert section will be needed.
Whilst true....I've seen some absolutely terrible welds holding for many many years. Even worse than my own welding, and never in 20+ years has one of mine cracked or broke.

IMO, the weld is very unlikely to be the problem, but exhaust fitment and alignment etc, is very likely. Any joint under a lot of stress, will fail.