Tyre cushions

Author
Discussion

xnetco

Original Poster:

141 posts

40 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
Morning

My Vanquish has been sat idle for about 3 weeks. Any suggestions on where to get tyre cushions from?

Tim

David W.

1,115 posts

137 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
Try the below, they seem like a cheap option and can be locked as pairs for wider tyres.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tire-cradles-49-5x21-5x66...



DW

Edited by David W. on Sunday 31st December 11:01

Jon39

4,972 posts

71 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all

Simply push your car backward or forwards one foot, then the weight is on a different portion of each tyre.
I note you have a Vanquish, so fairly heavy. If you are married, I am sure your wife would be pleased to help push.

I did have flat spots on one ocasion. Obviously forgot my own technique. Fortunately, after a few miles and some vicious cornering, the vibration ceased.






CSK1

758 posts

52 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
I have the Aston Martin branded ones, pricey but very good.
http://www.astonmartin.com/en/accessories/vanquish...

V8V Pete

1,491 posts

54 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
Drive your cars people smile
Advertisement

CoolHands

8,080 posts

123 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
CSK1 said:
I have the Aston Martin branded ones, pricey but very good.
http://www.astonmartin.com/en/accessories/vanquish...
Blimey £650! I’d buy 4 of these for £100
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trident-High-Density-Foa...

Phil74891

690 posts

61 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
How Much?!?

I’d be inclined to employ Avinalarf’s Ladyboys for any necessary pushing and pulling activities for that sort of money. 😬

Seriously though, those tyre cushion look like a right pain. Are there any studies out there that prove their actual worth?

xnetco

Original Poster:

141 posts

40 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
Jon39 said:

Simply push your car backward or forwards one foot, then the weight is on a different portion of each tyre.
I note you have a Vanquish, so fairly heavy. If you are married, I am sure your wife would be pleased to help push.

I did have flat spots on one ocasion. Obviously forgot my own technique. Fortunately, after a few miles and some vicious cornering, the vibration ceased.

Perfect. I've done this. Given me a good opportunity to fire it up.

On`it

55 posts

178 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
Dont buy the solid plastic pre shaped and a very good call from coolhands or carpet tiles.
if you want to go for it try these http://www.conrero.it/en/prodotti_modelli_en.cfm?w... I have used them and expensive but the best value I could find plus over inflate your tyres check with the dealers.
cheers and happy new year.

Beechburn

27 posts

5 months

Sunday 31st December 2017
quotequote all
I use these very successfully

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Rubber-Playground...

And I have seen other posts that state they use same or similar.

Frances The Mute

1,729 posts

169 months

Monday 1st January
quotequote all
Unless the car is unlikely to move for an inordinate amount of time or there is a continual and significant temperature difference between the inside and outside of your garage, they're a complete waste of time and money.

petop

1,374 posts

94 months

Monday 1st January
quotequote all
My car can be static in the garage for up to 2 months as i work abroad. Never had an issue. I get the missus to take the car every now and then, job done.

IanV12VR

2,349 posts

83 months

Monday 1st January
quotequote all
My Aston’s don’t move a lot between December/February and used to suffer from flat spots before I got my tyre cushions - the Aston one’s - and have to say you can really tell the difference going back to use the car. And before anyone says I should use them more I normally do 8/9k miles across the two a year. I seldom do short trips so they can go 2/3 weeks without being used.


ashway

387 posts

93 months

Tuesday 2nd January
quotequote all
[quote=On`it]Dont buy the solid plastic pre shaped and a very good call from coolhands or carpet tiles.
if you want to go for it try these http://www.conrero.it/en/prodotti_modelli_en.cfm?w... I have used them and expensive but the best value I could find plus over inflate your tyres check with the dealers.
cheers and happy new year.
[/quote]

why do you advise against the plastic wheel savers I've used them previously without issue??

On`it

55 posts

178 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
If the plastic ones work for you ashway then no problem I am sure many people use them.
But as I have used them with different cars and transmition options there can be issues with certain cars especially with paddle shift and clutch etc. Getting the car off them can mean jacking the car up and removing on one occasion for me.
The other options are much kinder and more user friendly for any car type and the rubber matts suugestions seem very cost affective and would be my prefered starting point IMO.

ashway

387 posts

93 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
[quote=On`it]If the plastic ones work for you ashway then no problem I am sure many people use them.
But as I have used them with different cars and transmition options there can be issues with certain cars especially with paddle shift and clutch etc. Getting the car off them can mean jacking the car up and removing on one occasion for me.
The other options are much kinder and more user friendly for any car type and the rubber matts suugestions seem very cost affective and would be my prefered starting point IMO.

[/quote]


Understand, I jack the car up and slide them in place so no issues with driving on to them

GameofCars

777 posts

37 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
ashway said:
Understand, I jack the car up and slide them in place so no issues with driving on to them
Why can't you drive onto them? As i was looking at possibly buying these ones - a bit more expensive than the really cheap plastic ones but much less than Aston's or Reifenkissen's:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/pieces-cradle-Guard-prote...
These ones look like they are designed to be driven onto. Don't want to phaff about jacking the car up each time.

cayman-black

6,728 posts

144 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
GameofCars said:
Why can't you drive onto them? As i was looking at possibly buying these ones - a bit more expensive than the really cheap plastic ones but much less than Aston's or Reifenkissen's:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/pieces-cradle-Guard-prote...
These ones look like they are designed to be driven onto. Don't want to phaff about jacking the car up each time.
They look good and can be driven on too. Cant say that i,ve noticed any flat spots and mine sits in the garage a LOT.

ashway

387 posts

93 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
GameofCars said:
Why can't you drive onto them? As i was looking at possibly buying these ones - a bit more expensive than the really cheap plastic ones but much less than Aston's or Reifenkissen's:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/pieces-cradle-Guard-prote...
These ones look like they are designed to be driven onto. Don't want to phaff about jacking the car up each time.
They look easier to drive on than the yellow FIAMMA ones I have, my garage floor is tiled and they tend to slip as you try to drive on. No big deal for me to raise the car slightly, slide the cradles in from the side then lower.

Edited by ashway on Thursday 4th January 20:47

On`it

55 posts

178 months

Saturday 13th January
quotequote all
ashway said:
They look easier to drive on than the yellow FIAMMA ones I have, my garage floor is tiled and they tend to slip as you try to drive on. No big deal for me to raise the car slightly, slide the cradles in from the side then lower.

Edited by ashway on Thursday 4th January 20:47
Getting the car off can be worse than on I would not go for these imo.