New BMW's getting stolen using blank BMW keys

New BMW's getting stolen using blank BMW keys

Author
Discussion

as7920

492 posts

156 months

Thursday 15th November 2012
quotequote all
as7920 said:
FWIW, just spoken to BMW CS and they have said the update is available for my June '11 plate 1 series and my dealer will be calling me to book it in by early next week.
Dealer called today, car is now booked in. About an hour to "fix".

toxicnerve

23,005 posts

132 months

Thursday 15th November 2012
quotequote all
Mine is going to have the fix implemented during some other routine maintenance.

Gra76

28 posts

206 months

Thursday 15th November 2012
quotequote all
Steffan said:
But the failure of law enforcement to prevent these thefts is the real problem.
Short of deploying a police officer to guard every car I don't see how the police can be blamed in any way. I'm under the impression they've already been putting out 'bait cars' to see if they can catch the people doing it. The root cause of the problem is the 'security' the car provides in the first place making it easy for any Tom, Dick or Harry to drive the car off in 2 minutes flat.

I lay that firmly at BMW's door.

Rotten Egg

1,103 posts

202 months

Thursday 15th November 2012
quotequote all
Kuroblack350 said:
Cool, I'm in the same boat and same car wink What's your build date out of interest?
Not sure of build date but it was first registered Jan 2009 - '58' plate.

pc.iow

1,879 posts

158 months

Thursday 15th November 2012
quotequote all
Steffan said:
But the failure of law enforcement to prevent these thefts is the real problem.
I’m happy to carry out my day to day on either side of the law, but to blame them for this is laughable!
Do you work for bmW?

Swervin_Mervin

3,040 posts

193 months

Thursday 15th November 2012
quotequote all
youngsyr said:
Swervin_Mervin said:
Do we really think they'll be hit more than other manufacturers? Colleague of mine had his Scirocco broken into the other night and emptied. No damage done at all to get in. And it was one of 8 cars done on the street that night without damage.

I believe the local plod are currently investigating a recent spate of thefts from VWs, BMWs, Mercs and Audis that have been done without forced entry, so they're finding a way into all of these permium brand German vehicles.
I know a BMW M3 that was recently broken into on a street that hadn't had a reported car crime in the past 10 years. Plenty of other nice cars on the street too, Audis, Mercs, even some newer but lower spec. BMWs. His was the only car targetted.

Anecdotal obviously, but just more support for the fact that it's only BMWs of a certain age and model type that are being targetted.
See, to me it doesn't sound that straightforward. Seems like the trends are area dependant. Manchester thieves obviously aren't so picky and are willing to break into any premium motor. I appreciate that's different from taking but the same fundamental entry issues obviously prevail across vunerous marques now.

BMWTech

13 posts

94 months

Friday 16th November 2012
quotequote all
SOLUTION NOW AVAILABLE.

There was an announcement made to our dealership this afternoon that re-programming is now available for ALL models from 2005 onwards.

It is a 20 minute programming job that all main dealers will have the software for. The programming is also completely free of charge regardless of age. It adds a new layer to the encryption that is unaccessable to anyone except a BMW dealer.

It has been announced that work will be carried out ONLY when requested by customers, so don't expect your local dealer to be on the phone to you on Monday morning (unless you have already contact BMW customer services, at which point you are already on a "to contact" list).

Spread the word.

noodle151

4 posts

92 months

Friday 16th November 2012
quotequote all
my x6 was stolen without the keys earlier this year. unfortunately recovered minus seats and all interior panelling. £15k of damage and no claims bonus cratered - my insurance went up 4 x at renewal. the scum struck again last week but fried the cas unit and couldn't drive off - still cost £1.5k to fix though. this time they got in by somehow opening all the windows (last time a smashed drivers window). final straw for me and taking the advice of the police to get rid of it and not buy another bmw have just part exchanged it for new range rover - good riddance! spoke to BMW customer services a lot this week - their attitude is appalling and I hope the disgraceful way they are dealing with this damages their undeserved reputation.

five50

155 posts

141 months

Friday 16th November 2012
quotequote all
Is this relevant to minis?

r999

78 posts

109 months

Friday 16th November 2012
quotequote all
BMWTech said:
It adds a new layer to the encryption that is unaccessable to anyone except a BMW dealer.
How can that be, when the EU laws that are at the heart of this issue stipulate that people other than main dealers must have access to create new keys?

Is there a service bulletin you can refer us to? Or some fuller explanation?

I'm afraid that after the months of rumour from all and sundry, vast amounts of inadequate information in this and other places, and outright denials from BMW, anyone posting new claims about a solution needs to provide some evidence and detail if they are to be believed.

va1o

15,934 posts

162 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
five50 said:
Is this relevant to minis?
This has been raised a few times before, was last discussed 2 pages ago http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&a...

Agent Orange

2,190 posts

201 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
noodle151 said:
...to get rid of it and not buy another bmw have just part exchanged it for new range rover - good riddance!
I thought a Range Rover had the same system?

Moley RUFC

3,154 posts

144 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
Cue Noodle running outside in his pyjamas to check his Rangie is still on the drive....

B10BRW

344 posts

176 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
Just been to my local BMW dealer Cooper, yes sir the "update" only takes an hour, but we need to have it all day in case we Cock it up, and have to try again banghead

Why am I not surprised, has anyone else been told their dealer wants it all day.
Looking for another dealer to do it now mad

r999

78 posts

109 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
B10BRW said:
Just been to my local BMW dealer Cooper, yes sir the "update" only takes an hour, but we need to have it all day in case we Cock it up, and have to try again banghead

Why am I not surprised, has anyone else been told their dealer wants it all day.
Looking for another dealer to do it now mad
This is quite normal. If the car has not had software updates for quite some time, it may require many others before the latest one gets applied. Consider yourself lucky they did not say it might go into a second day, as updates sometimes have to be left running overnight.

If you don't like it, go back to the 1980s and get yourself a software-free car.

loose cannon

5,809 posts

196 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
Another angle for anti theft,
Get yourself a superchips bluefin,
As well as a remap you can use it to remove ecu mapping rendering it immobile, no way there stealing it then unless they put it on a transporter.
Just another avenue of thought for you all,

youngsyr

11,840 posts

147 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
loose cannon said:
Another angle for anti theft,
Get yourself a superchips bluefin,
As well as a remap you can use it to remove ecu mapping rendering it immobile, no way there stealing it then unless they put it on a transporter.
Just another avenue of thought for you all,
Easier and much cheaper to get a battery cut out switch. However, the problem with both is that it doesn't stop the scumbags drilling your door before finding out that the car won't go anywhere, leaving you with inconvenience, the cost of your excess and an insurance claim. frown

BMWTech

13 posts

94 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
r999 said:
How can that be, when the EU laws that are at the heart of this issue stipulate that people other than main dealers must have access to create new keys?

Is there a service bulletin you can refer us to? Or some fuller explanation?

I'm afraid that after the months of rumour from all and sundry, vast amounts of inadequate information in this and other places, and outright denials from BMW, anyone posting new claims about a solution needs to provide some evidence and detail if they are to be believed.
I don't have any bulletins to hand, and the PUMA system we use would show my user number which would get me trouble from BMW. (it's a confidential system not to be passed to public or press).

Also, if you don't believe me then just call your local dealer. They will be more than happy to book you in for the Quality Enhancement. I'm not here to talk sh*t, I joined this forum to help/make others aware. I own an e90 myself so this is a key development that directly affected me personally. The more cars I can prevent being stolen, the less my insurance will cost next year.

I appreciate your concern, but I'm only trying to help others...

r999

78 posts

109 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
BMWTech said:
I appreciate your concern, but I'm only trying to help others...
Thanks for replying. I'm happy to accept that you are who you say you are and that you are trying to help.

So would you very kindly be able to answer the questions that follow?

How can this be an extra layer of encryption when the EU laws that gave rise to this problem insist that people other than BMW dealers must be able to prepare new keys?

Are you taking about encryption from the OBD port to the CAS module or encryption from the key to the CAS module? Or something else?

Is this fix a replacement for the one that BMW has been applying already, which supposedly just stops the windows rolling down after a screwdriver is forced into the lock? Or is it in addition to that fix?

How is the car going to behave differently after this fix (or these fixes, if we are now talking about two) is applied?

Apologies for asking several questions, but you'll understand that people have had to take action and protect themselves without any help for the past few months, and consequently now need to understand just what vulnerabilities have been removed and what might remain.


B10BRW

344 posts

176 months

Saturday 17th November 2012
quotequote all
r999 said:
This is quite normal. If the car has not had software updates for quite some time, it may require many others before the latest one gets applied. Consider yourself lucky they did not say it might go into a second day, as updates sometimes have to be left running overnight.

If you don't like it, go back to the 1980s and get yourself a software-free car.
Are you this rude normally, or do you have to practise nono

I do not consider myself lucky,if our vehicles were fit for purpose, I with many other BMW owners should not have to be getting this "update" done in the first place