E61 V8 Bearding

E61 V8 Bearding

Author
Discussion

Naldrett

110 posts

94 months

Sunday 13th October
quotequote all
alistair267 said:
After a year or two or lurking as a six cylinder E61 owner, I will pick up my 550i on Monday! I will get some pictures up in due course but it's a 2009 LCI car, carbon black with champagne leather. Good spec including the CIC iDrive. I am looking forward to joining the club
Is that the one at Jason Barker? Looks lovely...

https://www.jasonbarker.co.uk/shop_detail.asp?prod...

helix402

5,053 posts

129 months

Sunday 13th October
quotequote all
mondeoman said:


Well that didn't work. RealOEM says I need the front ones, my car says I need the big boys at the back. Part number is 34116774254, no results on fleaBay or Google, guess its a BMW dealer part only. ??
The part no you list doesn’t seem to come upon realoem. A quick look based on E61 550i front pads comes up with a choice of two types. It seems the larger ones are:




Here’s some on eBay:



eBay pic isn’t always of actual pads. With gen pads the value line kits with wear sensor are often cheaper than just pads.

mondeoman

9,352 posts

213 months

Sunday 13th October
quotequote all
Thanks - found some Mintex that are the right size, I'm getting too old for this...

BigMacDaddy

796 posts

128 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Mine's in for the MOT today, I reckon it'll be fine but after picking up an unexpected bill just shy of 4 figures on the FTO last month I'm still a little paranoid laugh

JakeT

2,658 posts

67 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
I think it's natural. Ever year I worry, in case for some reason every balljoint in the suspension gets excessively worn overnight, or something silly like that.

alistair267

141 posts

95 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Naldrett said:
Is that the one at Jason Barker? Looks lovely...

https://www.jasonbarker.co.uk/shop_detail.asp?prod...
That’s the one! Picked it up today and love it already. Pics soon when it’s not chucking it down with rain

gizlaroc

13,089 posts

171 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
That looks well nice mate.

I would happily jump back into another E61. Such good cars, especially the LCI model.


smashie

628 posts

98 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
BigMacDaddy said:
Mine's in for the MOT today, I reckon it'll be fine but after picking up an unexpected bill just shy of 4 figures on the FTO last month I'm still a little paranoid laugh
Either he’s still waiting for it to get MOT’d at gone 8pm or he’s gone to drown his sorrows!

Naldrett

110 posts

94 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
alistair267 said:
That’s the one! Picked it up today and love it already. Pics soon when it’s not chucking it down with rain
Amazing spec - congrats on the purchase! Those comfort seats are awesome, looks like those even have the massage function?

BigMacDaddy

796 posts

128 months

Tuesday 15th October
quotequote all
smashie said:
Either he’s still waiting for it to get MOT’d at gone 8pm or he’s gone to drown his sorrows!
laughlaugh

Nope thankfully she passed with a clean bill of health! Relieved to say the least....

alistair267

141 posts

95 months

Tuesday 15th October
quotequote all
Naldrett said:
Amazing spec - congrats on the purchase! Those comfort seats are awesome, looks like those even have the massage function?
Thank you! The spec is amazing, and the comfort seats are unbelievable. They don't have the massage function but they do have the active side bolsters - the right hand bolster squeezes you in when you turn left and vice versa, which works quite well. The head up display and active cruise are great on the motorway.

It's a good step up from my 530i so very pleased so far.

Couple of little niggles - the thigh support on the drivers seat does not work electronically. Appears to be a common fault due to a broken plastic cog in the mechanism but a fairly fiddly job. The buttons for the seat heating etc on the driver's side are worn so I may try and source some replacements.

ATM

Original Poster:

9,921 posts

166 months

Tuesday 15th October
quotequote all
gizlaroc said:
That looks well nice mate.

I would happily jump back into another E61. Such good cars, especially the LCI model.
I didn't think there was much difference?

gizlaroc

13,089 posts

171 months

Tuesday 15th October
quotequote all
I went from pre LCI 535d to LCI 530d and found the interior quality far superior and thus a much nicer car to spend time in.

The LCI car was after having an F10 and a 5GT.

In fact, I would say a well specced E61 I probably prefer over an F11. CIC nav on the later ones also makes a huge difference too.

alistair267

141 posts

95 months

Tuesday 22nd October
quotequote all




Pictures as promised.

First job done - worn out buttons replaced




ATM

Original Poster:

9,921 posts

166 months

Tuesday 22nd October
quotequote all
Have you done a smoke test yet?

alistair267

141 posts

95 months

Tuesday 22nd October
quotequote all
ATM said:
Have you done a smoke test yet?
Not yet, no

ATM

Original Poster:

9,921 posts

166 months

Tuesday 22nd October
quotequote all
alistair267 said:
ATM said:
Have you done a smoke test yet?
Not yet, no
If you have a warranty I'd get to that ASAP. You need it hot - not warm - so motorway run. Then stop and idle for a couple of minutes at least - maybe more. Then throttle it and see what happens. That's the first time I noticed it on mine. I'm not sure if it is getting worse or not. Basically if I'm going to be stationary in traffic for any length of time I turn it off now.

alistair267

141 posts

95 months

Tuesday 22nd October
quotequote all
ATM said:
If you have a warranty I'd get to that ASAP. You need it hot - not warm - so motorway run. Then stop and idle for a couple of minutes at least - maybe more. Then throttle it and see what happens. That's the first time I noticed it on mine. I'm not sure if it is getting worse or not. Basically if I'm going to be stationary in traffic for any length of time I turn it off now.
That's really helpful, thank you. I'll try and get to it at the weekend

ATM

Original Poster:

9,921 posts

166 months

Tuesday 22nd October
quotequote all
alistair267 said:
ATM said:
If you have a warranty I'd get to that ASAP. You need it hot - not warm - so motorway run. Then stop and idle for a couple of minutes at least - maybe more. Then throttle it and see what happens. That's the first time I noticed it on mine. I'm not sure if it is getting worse or not. Basically if I'm going to be stationary in traffic for any length of time I turn it off now.
That's really helpful, thank you. I'll try and get to it at the weekend
Well its just us two now so we need to have each other's backs. Especially when the 545i owners start chiming in about 500cc making no difference in their real world.

alistair267

141 posts

95 months

Tuesday 22nd October
quotequote all
ATM said:
Well its just us two now so we need to have each other's backs. Especially when the 545i owners start chiming in about 500cc making no difference in their real world.
rofl Do you happen to know how many 550 Tourings were made? I haven't been able to find the answer