Check my man maths, M135i vs 330d vs 335d

Check my man maths, M135i vs 330d vs 335d

Author
Discussion

LeeM135i

2 posts

2 months

Wednesday 30th October
quotequote all
I went down the M135i route 4 years ago as company car tax goes up 1% per year and it was getting outrageous even on a 2.0d I also started a new job where my mileage dropped to 10k per year.

From the last 4 years and 35,000 miles I have…

Changed the rear tyres once, cost around £400
Changed the front brake disks and pads sensors etc £900
Serviced it in line with BMW recommendations

And that’s it.

The good

Can do 40mpg if cruising on the motorway. (400 miles on a tank).
Last 10,000 miles ave is 34.4mpg
Still makes me giggle when I start it up / use the pedal on the right.
Has never failed to start or had any issues at all.
You sit low in the car, I love it.
That engine makes a great noise.
The RWD chassis, although compromised no other car in the class drives like it.

The bad

Can do 10mpg in traffic or if your on it.
It’s small inside, I’m 6ft5in and no one can sit behind me, it’s essentially a 3 seater.
The ride can be jiggly on slow roads, it smooths out at higher speeds.
You sit low in the car, my wife hates it.
Some of the interior trim is a bit low rent.
It’s an old design now so some of the tech isn’t great.
It’s not that fast as this time of year as it struggles to put the power down.
Needs an LSD to release its potential.

When asked my opinion I always say if you want a great car buy a Golf GTI. If you want something fun buy the M135i. I planned to run it for 3 years and then move it on but it’s still in the garage as I haven’t got tired of it, it’s a bit marmite but I love mine.

paul n

Original Poster:

115 posts

117 months

Wednesday 30th October
quotequote all
Court_S said:
The screen used to offend me, but I've decided that I prefer it mounted a bit higher than it was in my previous car (Octavia vRS). The pro nav was a must for me because it brings a few extra bits of functionality.

The screen housing the same size for both options, the normal nav just had inserts either that made the screen smaller.
it is a late 2014 model so it has the bluetooth music streaming etc so hopefully all i need! also has a banging aftermarket speaker/ amp set up so looking forward to that after my crap VW one in the skoda! smile

paul n

Original Poster:

115 posts

117 months

Wednesday 30th October
quotequote all
LeeM135i said:
I went down the M135i route 4 years ago as company car tax goes up 1% per year and it was getting outrageous even on a 2.0d I also started a new job where my mileage dropped to 10k per year.

From the last 4 years and 35,000 miles I have…

Changed the rear tyres once, cost around £400
Changed the front brake disks and pads sensors etc £900
Serviced it in line with BMW recommendations

And that’s it.

The good

Can do 40mpg if cruising on the motorway. (400 miles on a tank).
Last 10,000 miles ave is 34.4mpg
Still makes me giggle when I start it up / use the pedal on the right.
Has never failed to start or had any issues at all.
You sit low in the car, I love it.
That engine makes a great noise.
The RWD chassis, although compromised no other car in the class drives like it.

The bad

Can do 10mpg in traffic or if your on it.
It’s small inside, I’m 6ft5in and no one can sit behind me, it’s essentially a 3 seater.
The ride can be jiggly on slow roads, it smooths out at higher speeds.
You sit low in the car, my wife hates it.
Some of the interior trim is a bit low rent.
It’s an old design now so some of the tech isn’t great.
It’s not that fast as this time of year as it struggles to put the power down.
Needs an LSD to release its potential.

When asked my opinion I always say if you want a great car buy a Golf GTI. If you want something fun buy the M135i. I planned to run it for 3 years and then move it on but it’s still in the garage as I haven’t got tired of it, it’s a bit marmite but I love mine.
Wow great info, many thanks! i am pretty excited now! mine comes with the BIRDS LSD and B1 suspension so really looking forward to exploring how it grips and handles with this set up (my friend has a standard one)

amazing that a a car with that performance can do 40mpg!

yeah the company car tax is getting silly! (definitely not a perk!) it annoys me that it goes up as the car gets older as well! you have to for 3 years and pay £300 more in the third year for a older car with 70k on it!

Had a 300bhp VW golf GTI and hated it! had it 4 months! got knows why they are so highly rated! engine sounds like a deasil, ride is crap, traction non existent and brakes are woefull! I think it's because they are easy to drive! god knows!

Cheers Paul



Court_S

1,551 posts

125 months

Thursday 31st October
quotequote all
LeeM135i said:
I went down the M135i route 4 years ago as company car tax goes up 1% per year and it was getting outrageous even on a 2.0d I also started a new job where my mileage dropped to 10k per year.

From the last 4 years and 35,000 miles I have…

Changed the rear tyres once, cost around £400
Changed the front brake disks and pads sensors etc £900
Serviced it in line with BMW recommendations

And that’s it.

The good

Can do 40mpg if cruising on the motorway. (400 miles on a tank).
Last 10,000 miles ave is 34.4mpg
Still makes me giggle when I start it up / use the pedal on the right.
Has never failed to start or had any issues at all.
You sit low in the car, I love it.
That engine makes a great noise.
The RWD chassis, although compromised no other car in the class drives like it.

The bad

Can do 10mpg in traffic or if your on it.
It’s small inside, I’m 6ft5in and no one can sit behind me, it’s essentially a 3 seater.
The ride can be jiggly on slow roads, it smooths out at higher speeds.
You sit low in the car, my wife hates it.
Some of the interior trim is a bit low rent.
It’s an old design now so some of the tech isn’t great.
It’s not that fast as this time of year as it struggles to put the power down.
Needs an LSD to release its potential.

When asked my opinion I always say if you want a great car buy a Golf GTI. If you want something fun buy the M135i. I planned to run it for 3 years and then move it on but it’s still in the garage as I haven’t got tired of it, it’s a bit marmite but I love mine.
I’d agree with most of that. I’m not as tall as you but anyone other than an amputee will struggle to sit behind my seat. I love the driving position, it was what really set it apart from the Golf R/GTI TCR that I was looking at too.

I don’t have any issues with the trim or the tech, but mine is one of the last M140i’s so has the updated idrive and LCI2 dials.

I was convinced that the Golf R / GTI TCR would be the perfect daily given that they’re a bit bigger inside and better packaged plus I thought the digital dash, adaptive cruise etc would win me over but they were both just a bit meh. I much preferred the interior of the BMW and how it felt. Plus the engine.

They’re not perfect, then M135i/M140i but I really like them and have been super happy with mine.

paul n

Original Poster:

115 posts

117 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
As an update I have just driven home 440 miles with my new M135i! smile

wow! defiantly made the right decision! car is bonkers and i think it is going to be alot of fun!

spec is DMS remap, Birds suspension and Quaife LSD

don't think i am going to get 30 mpg for the first few weeks! ha ha!

Cheers Paul


smashy

2,593 posts

106 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
paul n said:
As an update I have just driven home 440 miles with my new M135i! smile

wow! defiantly made the right decision! car is bonkers and i think it is going to be alot of fun!

spec is DMS remap, Birds suspension and Quaife LSD

don't think i am going to get 30 mpg for the first few weeks! ha ha!

Cheers Paul
Wow sounds the perfect combo Paul smile Lots of luck with it....if only I didnt do 30k a year

Court_S

1,551 posts

125 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
paul n said:
As an update I have just driven home 440 miles with my new M135i! smile

wow! defiantly made the right decision! car is bonkers and i think it is going to be alot of fun!

spec is DMS remap, Birds suspension and Quaife LSD

don't think i am going to get 30 mpg for the first few weeks! ha ha!

Cheers Paul
Good stuff, glad you’re pleased with it buddy. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Sir_Dave

1,376 posts

158 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
paul n said:
As an update I have just driven home 440 miles with my new M135i! smile

wow! defiantly made the right decision! car is bonkers and i think it is going to be alot of fun!

spec is DMS remap, Birds suspension and Quaife LSD

don't think i am going to get 30 mpg for the first few weeks! ha ha!

Cheers Paul
I was chatting the the owner about that car on Babybmw actually, spec with LSD/Birds was exactly what i wanted!!

Unfortunately, by the time he'd sorted out all the bodywork (assume you knew about this, if not, umm, sorry lol), i'd already bought a different one ...

BTW, if you didnt know about the damage, it was purely cosmetic, i have photos if you want to see them thumbup


paul n

Original Poster:

115 posts

117 months

Monday 11th November
quotequote all
Sir_Dave said:
I was chatting the the owner about that car on Babybmw actually, spec with LSD/Birds was exactly what i wanted!!

Unfortunately, by the time he'd sorted out all the bodywork (assume you knew about this, if not, umm, sorry lol), i'd already bought a different one ...

BTW, if you didnt know about the damage, it was purely cosmetic, i have photos if you want to see them thumbup
Yeah i knew he got all the body work repainted, just said due to country living. Looks good now even though it had a few small scapes he didn't' say about but he took a bit of cash off so we were both happy! very glad i went 5 door and really like having the sunroof for the extra light in the cabin smile

Sir_Dave

1,376 posts

158 months

Tuesday 12th November
quotequote all
paul n said:
Yeah i knew he got all the body work repainted, just said due to country living. Looks good now even though it had a few small scapes he didn't' say about but he took a bit of cash off so we were both happy! very glad i went 5 door and really like having the sunroof for the extra light in the cabin smile
Yeah it was all pretty minor stuff. I was just impatient ... unfortunately i still need to get some bodywork done on the new one as some inconsiderate tw4t has scraped the bumper and rear quarter whilst parked. Only had it 3 weeks mad

paul n

Original Poster:

115 posts

117 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Sir_Dave said:
Yeah it was all pretty minor stuff. I was just impatient ... unfortunately i still need to get some bodywork done on the new one as some inconsiderate tw4t has scraped the bumper and rear quarter whilst parked. Only had it 3 weeks mad
damn that's annoying!

I have been smashing out the miles a bit since i have had it! loving it but the first few tanks of fuel have gone quick due to wanting to hear the noise and showing friends the car! ha ha!


Court_S

1,551 posts

125 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
paul n said:
damn that's annoying!

I have been smashing out the miles a bit since i have had it! loving it but the first few tanks of fuel have gone quick due to wanting to hear the noise and showing friends the car! ha ha!
:lol: The fuel consumption on these is really Jekyll and Hyde; it can be very good if your sensible but enjoy it and the super soon disappears.