Mini Cooper Sport 500

Mini Cooper Sport 500

Author
Discussion

Ben Jk

Original Poster:

962 posts

122 months

Monday 6th April
quotequote all
Hi all,

I'm very close to the purchase of one of the last 500.

However doing a final bit of research before diving in.

The car in question seems to have slightly different decals to the other 500's I've seen.



Anyone know of these were a factory option or are completley aftermarket?


mk1coopers

345 posts

108 months

Monday 6th April
quotequote all
Those are John Cooper Garages S pack stickers, you will need to check if it is a period conversion, there will normally be a plate riveted to the floor cross member, the other alternative is that an S pack could have been bought at a later date and fitted DIY

Ben Jk

Original Poster:

962 posts

122 months

Monday 6th April
quotequote all
Thanks. The car has had some minor engine tweaks (Swiftune Cam/roller rockers/2 pin diff./playmini exhaust) so we think the owner at the time has added the “s” decals due to this to signify it has been mildly tuned.



Edited by Ben Jk on Thursday 9th April 17:07

Lotobear

2,199 posts

84 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
Ben Jk said:
Thanks. The car has had some minor engine tweaks (Swiftune Cam/rocket rollers/2 pin diff./playmini exhaust) so we think the owner at the time has added the “s” decals due to this to signify it has been mildly tuned.

..worth pointing out that a '2 pin diff' is standard, a 4 pinion diff is an upgrade though not in performance terms only reliability.

as for 'rocket rollers' and a 'playmini exhaust' I can only guess!

Ben Jk

Original Poster:

962 posts

122 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
Lotobear said:
Ben Jk said:
Thanks. The car has had some minor engine tweaks (Swiftune Cam/rocket rollers/2 pin diff./playmini exhaust) so we think the owner at the time has added the “s” decals due to this to signify it has been mildly tuned.

..worth pointing out that a '2 pin diff' is standard, a 4 pinion diff is an upgrade though not in performance terms only reliability.

as for 'rocket rollers' and a 'playmini exhaust' I can only guess!
Twin pin diff isn’t standard I’m certain? Yep- clearly provides reliability not performance.

Typo on Roller Rockers. Playmini are a well known exhaust brand. Although I expect you knew this.


Lotobear

2,199 posts

84 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
Ben Jk said:
Twin pin diff isn’t standard I’m certain? Yep- clearly provides reliability not performance.

Typo on Roller Rockers. Playmini are a well known exhaust brand. Although I expect you knew this.
A standard mini gearbox has 2 pinions - '2 pin'. A common upgrade is to a 4 pinion diff - '4 pin'