Philips Hue Lighting - owners thread

Philips Hue Lighting - owners thread

Author
Discussion

JimbobVFR

2,432 posts

114 months

Friday 13th August
quotequote all
doc.martin said:
Have you found the battery life on these ok please?
I'll come in on this as well. My dimmers get used a lot the battery on the busiest ones lasted about 3 years, some of the others are 3.5 years old with about 40% left.

dmsims

4,830 posts

237 months

Friday 13th August
quotequote all
doc.martin said:
Are these any better than the little Hue buttons?

I have a couple of those and the battery life is so poor that my wife is threatening to throw them out and go back to old fashioned bulbs?

I thought of the Hue tap kinetic switch but those are quite pricy. I just want a simple switch that works and doesn’t run out of battery very 3 weeks!
https://flic.io/

UTH

3,218 posts

148 months

Tuesday 17th August
quotequote all
A question for the TV sync experts:

Does your ever show up colours that don't seem to correspond to anything on the screen? I'm occasionally getting a lot of fairly strong pink along the top of the TV that has nothing to do with what's happening on the screen. Can't help but think something is a bit broken, but not really sure the process to try and get it sorted out, or maybe it's normal and I need to put up with it.

dapprman

1,579 posts

237 months

Wednesday 18th August
quotequote all
Going back about 4-6 months here - for those who only used Philip's own app due to the 'welcome home' feature and so stopped using it after the app redesign as this function was broken - tonight I found that a more recent update of it has fixed it, so it might be worth a re-install.

UTH

3,218 posts

148 months

Thursday 19th August
quotequote all
UTH said:
A question for the TV sync experts:

Does your ever show up colours that don't seem to correspond to anything on the screen? I'm occasionally getting a lot of fairly strong pink along the top of the TV that has nothing to do with what's happening on the screen. Can't help but think something is a bit broken, but not really sure the process to try and get it sorted out, or maybe it's normal and I need to put up with it.
Kept happening last night, mainly when the image was quite light blues and whites, it was showing heavy pink. Driving me mad. I'm going to see about sending it back and replacing.

loudlashadjuster

4,320 posts

154 months

Thursday 19th August
quotequote all
UTH said:
UTH said:
A question for the TV sync experts:

Does your ever show up colours that don't seem to correspond to anything on the screen? I'm occasionally getting a lot of fairly strong pink along the top of the TV that has nothing to do with what's happening on the screen. Can't help but think something is a bit broken, but not really sure the process to try and get it sorted out, or maybe it's normal and I need to put up with it.
Kept happening last night, mainly when the image was quite light blues and whites, it was showing heavy pink. Driving me mad. I'm going to see about sending it back and replacing.
Try looking in your source's setup for overscan/image scaling options, maybe there's something funky going on there?

UTH

3,218 posts

148 months

Thursday 19th August
quotequote all
loudlashadjuster said:
UTH said:
UTH said:
A question for the TV sync experts:

Does your ever show up colours that don't seem to correspond to anything on the screen? I'm occasionally getting a lot of fairly strong pink along the top of the TV that has nothing to do with what's happening on the screen. Can't help but think something is a bit broken, but not really sure the process to try and get it sorted out, or maybe it's normal and I need to put up with it.
Kept happening last night, mainly when the image was quite light blues and whites, it was showing heavy pink. Driving me mad. I'm going to see about sending it back and replacing.
Try looking in your source's setup for overscan/image scaling options, maybe there's something funky going on there?
Do you mean my Sky Box that is plugged into the sync box? Ok I'll have a look around there and see what I can find. I've also emailed Phillips to see if they have any advice, got until Sept 11th to send it back to Amazon so got some time.

Your Honour

3 posts

6 months

Thursday 2nd September
quotequote all
Hi,

I have recently completed an extension with a full Philips hue set up, complete with Philips ambilight TV. I plastered in hue strips up the side of the fireplace to enhance the tv which looks awesome when watching movies or playing the x box. Happy to go into more details if anyone is interested.



[url]

UTH

3,218 posts

148 months

Thursday 2nd September
quotequote all
Your Honour said:
Hi,

I have recently completed an extension with a full Philips hue set up, complete with Philips ambilight TV. I plastered in hue strips up the side of the fireplace to enhance the tv which looks awesome when watching movies or playing the x box. Happy to go into more details if anyone is interested.



[url]
|https://thumbsnap.com/5s57xowx[/url]
Please do. I’m learning how to get the most out of my TV setup. Liking the fireplace lights!

UTH

3,218 posts

148 months

Thursday 2nd September
quotequote all
UTH said:
A question for the TV sync experts:

Does your ever show up colours that don't seem to correspond to anything on the screen? I'm occasionally getting a lot of fairly strong pink along the top of the TV that has nothing to do with what's happening on the screen. Can't help but think something is a bit broken, but not really sure the process to try and get it sorted out, or maybe it's normal and I need to put up with it.
They’re sending me a replacement strip tomorrow because of this

ecsrobin

13,343 posts

135 months

Thursday 2nd September
quotequote all
The new Spotify sync works brilliantly. Far better than using hue disco.

I also like the dynamic changing of lights although possibly slightly too slow for me but apparently they will allow you to change the speed in a future update. We have a couple of coloured bulbs in our fireplaces (no fires) and have them on a colour so it’s nice for them to cycle through a scene.

MrOrange

1,943 posts

223 months

Thursday 2nd September
quotequote all
ecsrobin said:
The new Spotify sync works brilliantly. Far better than using hue disco.

I also like the dynamic changing of lights although possibly slightly too slow for me but apparently they will allow you to change the speed in a future update. We have a couple of coloured bulbs in our fireplaces (no fires) and have them on a colour so it’s nice for them to cycle through a scene.
It really is rather good. I set it up today in my kitchen, which has loads (about 10) Hue lights including downlighters and gets a huge thumbs up from me

wjwren

3,971 posts

105 months

Thursday 2nd September
quotequote all
Is this in the hue or Spotify app?

ecsrobin

13,343 posts

135 months

Thursday 2nd September
quotequote all
wjwren said:
Is this in the hue or Spotify app?
In hue click explore if it has an orange dot then follow setup. If you don’t have the dot yet it will appear over the next week

loudlashadjuster

4,320 posts

154 months

Thursday 2nd September
quotequote all
Question about the coloured bulbs; do they give a light comparable to normal warm LEDs if set to ‘warm white’ or whatever?

Stussy

1,121 posts

34 months

Friday 3rd September
quotequote all
Yes, and can be adjusted to whatever shade you wish between cold /warm (blue to yellow)

UTH

3,218 posts

148 months

Friday 3rd September
quotequote all
UTH said:
UTH said:
A question for the TV sync experts:

Does your ever show up colours that don't seem to correspond to anything on the screen? I'm occasionally getting a lot of fairly strong pink along the top of the TV that has nothing to do with what's happening on the screen. Can't help but think something is a bit broken, but not really sure the process to try and get it sorted out, or maybe it's normal and I need to put up with it.
They’re sending me a replacement strip tomorrow because of this
The new strip has not fixed the problem. WTF do I do next?!

Stussy

1,121 posts

34 months

Friday 3rd September
quotequote all
Surely the sync box has to be faulty as that is what interprets the signal and decides which colours to display.
Is it worth trying different cables to rule those out at least?

UTH

3,218 posts

148 months

Friday 3rd September
quotequote all
Stussy said:
Surely the sync box has to be faulty as that is what interprets the signal and decides which colours to display.
Is it worth trying different cables to rule those out at least?
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well.

loudlashadjuster

4,320 posts

154 months

Friday 3rd September
quotequote all
UTH said:
Stussy said:
Surely the sync box has to be faulty as that is what interprets the signal and decides which colours to display.
Is it worth trying different cables to rule those out at least?
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well.
Could also be to do with overscan or burn-in settings on the source? If it's throwing out anything weird at the periphery of the image that isn't making it to the screen then maybe the sync box is picking that up and doing its best with it?