New DJI Mavic Mini

Author
Discussion

thebraketester

8,346 posts

86 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
renmure said:
thebraketester said:
Excellent.

Quick little video.... videos are straight off the Mavic, no editing. It's going to be a steep learning curve to get some decent footage
Ace. That swung it for me.
Picked a Flymore Combo up from a local(ish) Argos today.

Happy Days
Excellent. I think anyone who gets one will be impressive with how easy it is to fly and how stable it is.

Looking forward to seeing your photos and videos.

ecsrobin

10,225 posts

113 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
I think the biggest thing for me is the size. The fact you could keep that in the glove box and pull it out and go or hiking up a hill/mountain you can pack it in your day sack I can see it being very popular.

Kev_Mk3

1,333 posts

43 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
I could see this as my first drone. I don't want it to be one of them things I buy and never use though lol

Old Man Peabody

464 posts

155 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Kev_Mk3 said:
I could see this as my first drone. I don't want it to be one of them things I buy and never use though lol
I'm in exactly the same boat. Always wanted one and this model just felt right. Very easy to fly, easy to carry around etc. It'll basically do everything I want of it for not much bucks. If it doesn't suit me, I'm sure moving it on shouldn't be too difficult.

My biggest issue is I'm a gamer. Never flown anything besides a toy before and I'm not a fan off Mode 2 flying. M1 seemed better, M3 better still at the moment as it's more akin to gaming controls. I need to make some decisions about which way to go as it'll be really difficult to change once I've built up some muscle memory. Taking your eye off the drone and using the camera to fly still seems a bit foreign, but I think that's because I really need more space before I trust it.

But anyway, for a first timer it's great. MicroSD card on the way so come the weekend I'll be out and about avoiding trees and taking pictures of me with a controller! hehe

Davie_GLA

5,150 posts

147 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
I fancy one of these.

I've had a Phantom 1, Phantom 3 Advanced and more recently a first gen Mavic.

It got used less and less but the mini apeals somehow. Is it purely controlled by your phone or can you buy a controller? Assume it's Wifi only or a version of LightBridge?

Off to google.

Edit: Never mind..... How cheap are these things!?

https://www.dronesdirect.co.uk/p/cp.ma.00000126.01...

thebraketester

8,346 posts

86 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
It comes with a proper controller, you can’t fly it off your phone alone. I think it uses a type of Wi-Fi. 5.8ghz I believe.

Kev_Mk3

1,333 posts

43 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Old Man Peabody said:
I'm in exactly the same boat. Always wanted one and this model just felt right. Very easy to fly, easy to carry around etc. It'll basically do everything I want of it for not much bucks. If it doesn't suit me, I'm sure moving it on shouldn't be too difficult.

My biggest issue is I'm a gamer. Never flown anything besides a toy before and I'm not a fan off Mode 2 flying. M1 seemed better, M3 better still at the moment as it's more akin to gaming controls. I need to make some decisions about which way to go as it'll be really difficult to change once I've built up some muscle memory. Taking your eye off the drone and using the camera to fly still seems a bit foreign, but I think that's because I really need more space before I trust it.

But anyway, for a first timer it's great. MicroSD card on the way so come the weekend I'll be out and about avoiding trees and taking pictures of me with a controller! hehe
I am off touring the alps and some beautiful places next year which is why I want one. Also be handy to follow and get panning shots of the car on said trip. I think watching the screen and not the drone it's self would be off putting also. Thanks for the advise though

thatsprettyshady

985 posts

113 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Apple UK store have plenty of stock

thatsprettyshady

985 posts

113 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
thatsprettyshady said:
Apple UK store have plenty of stock
eta just ordered one and will pick it up locally tomorrow, delivery is showing for Saturday.

ecsrobin

10,225 posts

113 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
thatsprettyshady said:
thatsprettyshady said:
Apple UK store have plenty of stock
eta just ordered one and will pick it up locally tomorrow, delivery is showing for Saturday.
And free delivery by tomorrow. I did check yesterday morning and they weren’t showing as I get a decent discount there.

red_slr

9,516 posts

137 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
DJI fly finally showing on the google app store without having to use a direct link.

The initial reviews on the app are not promising! Looks like a revised version of the app came out yesterday so going to download that. Had a delivery notification for mine, ETA is Monday and weather is looking good too.. biggrin


thebraketester

8,346 posts

86 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
One small thing to note that I became aware of yesterday.

When flying hard forwards/back and hard up, you might get a warning of "Aircraft Power Insufficient". Seems to happen mostly in Sport mode. It's as if the drone has worked out what its speed should be based on controller position and actual ground speed and it doesn't have the power to do so.

Not a huge gripe to be honest, just worth mentioning so you know what it is when it happens.

red_slr

9,516 posts

137 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
Yeah seen this discussed elsewhere I think its due to sport mode basically allowing the motors to draw more current than the battery can actually deliver. So it gives a warning to advise you to back off a bit. I suspect DJI will maybe pull some throttle out of the sport map at some point by FW update to protect the batteries for the long term.



thebraketester

8,346 posts

86 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
That makes sense.


Very windy today. Its quite amazing how well not only it fly's in the wind but how stable the video is.... very impressive considering its size.

I also had the altitude warning (or rather limiter) come on which limits it to 150m, flight path for Luton I think.





I think one area where the camera really struggles is low light.

Davie_GLA

5,150 posts

147 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
thebraketester said:
That makes sense.


Very windy today. Its quite amazing how well not only it fly's in the wind but how stable the video is.... very impressive considering its size.

I also had the altitude warning (or rather limiter) come on which limits it to 150m, flight path for Luton I think.





I think one area where the camera really struggles is low light.
All DJI cameras suffered the same. Does the Mini let you record in RAW? I remember having to mess around with the levels post production and when you get the hang of it the results are stunning.

I'll need to dig out some photos and vids to see if it makes me press the button or not smile

thebraketester

8,346 posts

86 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
No raw as of yet.

eltawater

1,920 posts

127 months

Saturday 16th November
quotequote all
thebraketester said:
That makes sense.

I also had the altitude warning (or rather limiter) come on which limits it to 150m, flight path for Luton I think.
The legal altitude from surface is 400ft / 120M.

Drone code reminder:

https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Dr...

renmure

3,011 posts

172 months

Saturday 16th November
quotequote all
I’m really impressed with this. Huge benefit of living in the countryside with 5 acres of garden surrounded by open fields mean I’ve had about a dozen flights since collecting it 2 days ago, chasing tractors, taking dogs for a walk, taking car photos, trying all the “snapshot” tricks while drinking coffee and ducking rain showers.

I flew it 1850m away to the end of a neighboring field at 2m height and could have kept going but bottled it because I couldn’t see or hear it. I’m no expert but the photo resolution quality is ace and I can’t believe how stable the video is even when the wind picks up.

Lunch time now then I’m off out again to practice some more.

I’m sure the novelty will wear off but at £450ish for the flymore combo that’s ok in contrast to the Mavic 2 Pro I was also looking at. Happy days.

thatsprettyshady

985 posts

113 months

Saturday 16th November
quotequote all
I've just got mine home after collecting from the apple store today.

Ive never used a drone before but using the app it was dead simple to set up, had a very short flight indoors just to see how it handles and it's really simple, I switched control layout to Mode 3 as it's what felt the most natural(right stick to "look" and left stick to move/strafe - I think it's hardwired into me from years of playing FPS games.

Downloaded the Mavic Assistant app for my laptop which let me update the firmware without having to wait for charging levels etc.

Looking forward to getting it out tomorrow afternoon!

thebraketester

8,346 posts

86 months

Saturday 16th November
quotequote all
1850m. Impressed. I start getting twitchy around 250m