Share your HOME WORKING workstation environment - pics

Share your HOME WORKING workstation environment - pics

Author
Discussion

alorotom

9,530 posts

155 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
alorotom said:
My little home office also currently doubling as a reception class room for our daughter

ETA ... worked from home a few days a week (and a few months out of the year) for the last 9yrs ... I consider this messy and can’t tolerate it any messier

BigTZ4M

182 posts

139 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
It’s a tad cramped with having two of us face-to-face but it works for me.


Watchman

Original Poster:

6,391 posts

213 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
BigTZ4M said:
It’s a tad cramped with having two of us face-to-face but it works for me.

Well done. clap

I am an IT Project Manager in the insurance industry and I have been directly involved in our contingency planning regarding our 1000-ish people working from home over the last two weeks. I have come to appreciate that it's not usually the technology that causes people difficulty in this situation, but the lack of space for many people to work effectively in their homes.

I am lucky. My family of four can setup in separate rooms in our house and work comfortably (aside from my crappy chair) but many of our employees have to work with a laptop on their knees while seated on the sofa, or take up space on the dining table. Everyone's situation differs but everyone seems to have embraced the spirit of what is needed in these times and they're making the best of it.

When the work quietens down, I'm going to help a friend to convert his garage into an office. Not sure it'll be completed before we're all allowed back to work but it seems a good way to spend time at the moment.

BigTZ4M

182 posts

139 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
Watchman said:
I have come to appreciate that it's not usually the technology that causes people difficulty in this situation, but the lack of space for many people to work effectively in their homes.
Agreed, We’ve been well setup for remote working with technology for a decade but my young London staff, who prefer office workingand insist on living in a rented room in Zone 1, are already going stir crazy. I’m actually a bit worried about their mental health and physical well being sat on their beds trying to use their laptops.

We’ve bought all 300 colleagues around the globe a Disney+ subscription to help with kids at home and stuff, but I can’t turn a bed sit into a nice place to work!

neilski

2,562 posts

203 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
Santa Cruz 5010 and an HP laptop playing YouTube videos of where I normally work.





Can you tell I'm bored of being stuck at home?

The Li-ion King

2,946 posts

32 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
snuffy said:
Some Gump said:
You'll get a bad back if you use that chair.
rofl

AJB88

7,908 posts

139 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
neilski said:
Santa Cruz 5010 and an HP laptop playing YouTube videos of where I normally work.





Can you tell I'm bored of being stuck at home?
You got some kind of bike stand on the bike? gyms closed tonight, need to do 40 min cardio a day, wondering if I can turn the bike in my garage (which has never been rode) into an exercise bike.

neilski

2,562 posts

203 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
Not here in Bolivia where I live now. I ride a bike for a living so probably the last thing I want to do when I get home is ride a stationary bike.

Have a look at turbo trainers, one of these should sort you out. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/turbo-trainers

vaud

41,197 posts

123 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
Riding a bike outside is fine according to the deputy CMO.

Just keep your distance from others, no popping into the cafe.

Watchman

Original Poster:

6,391 posts

213 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
neilski said:
Santa Cruz 5010 and an HP laptop playing YouTube videos of where I normally work.





Can you tell I'm bored of being stuck at home?
One of the best yet considering your job. clap

ecs

946 posts

138 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all


It's a 2018 MacBook Pro with two 24" Dell displays of some description, a vintage USB Apple numeric keyboard and Magic Mouse (the mouse is a bit of a crappy design, but I'm addicted to the multi-touch gestures on it so put up with it's ropey Bluetooth and crappy charging socket/batteries falling out).

One of the best things I have which you can't really see is the Henge Stone Pro dock, it runs everything through a single USB-C cable. I used to have loads of cables that I needed to plug in and out all the time.

paulrockliffe

12,491 posts

195 months

Friday 20th March 2020
quotequote all
I've been setup for working from home properly for a couple of years, as soon as we got Surface Pros I invested some of my own money in getting a good working environment on the basis that going into the office costs me two hours and £8 a day.

gh

I have my own PC on all three screens and a KVM swapping the big one between my PC and the work one - Couldn't afford a 3 screen KVM that does 4k - Google Home hub sorts the temperature and does the radio, got some decent speakers on the shelves above. All calls through Teams, have a USB hub to charge stuff and a stash of sweets on one of the shelves. Having my own PC there means I can watch youtube or the cricket etc without being interrupted by works VPN and I can easily keep on top of my own stuff while I'm waiting for work stuff.

The space is in the corner of our bedroom, an odd alcove that's about 30cm deep, so the desk is run diagonally across the corner, which works well.

The companion screens are fixed with hot-melt glue into an oak and ash frame I knocked up from off-cuts, the desk and mathcing shelves above are ash fronted, MDF surfaces. I do have a load of 3mm ash veneers for the desk top, but not got round to sorting that out.

The name label is from my first job at Sellafield 20 years ago, it wasn't compulsory.

I am nearing completion of a loft conversion which will give me a better setup, ensuite, underfloor heating, two desks and a relaxation space. It's funded on the basis of it being guest space, but really it's for my working from home habits.

zippy3x

1,152 posts

235 months

Saturday 21st March 2020
quotequote all
paulrockliffe said:
I've been setup for working from home properly for a couple of years, as soon as we got Surface Pros I invested some of my own money in getting a good working environment on the basis that going into the office costs me two hours and £8 a day.

gh

I have my own PC on all three screens and a KVM swapping the big one between my PC and the work one - Couldn't afford a 3 screen KVM that does 4k - Google Home hub sorts the temperature and does the radio, got some decent speakers on the shelves above. All calls through Teams, have a USB hub to charge stuff and a stash of sweets on one of the shelves. Having my own PC there means I can watch youtube or the cricket etc without being interrupted by works VPN and I can easily keep on top of my own stuff while I'm waiting for work stuff.

The space is in the corner of our bedroom, an odd alcove that's about 30cm deep, so the desk is run diagonally across the corner, which works well.

The companion screens are fixed with hot-melt glue into an oak and ash frame I knocked up from off-cuts, the desk and mathcing shelves above are ash fronted, MDF surfaces. I do have a load of 3mm ash veneers for the desk top, but not got round to sorting that out.

The name label is from my first job at Sellafield 20 years ago, it wasn't compulsory.

I am nearing completion of a loft conversion which will give me a better setup, ensuite, underfloor heating, two desks and a relaxation space. It's funded on the basis of it being guest space, but really it's for my working from home habits.
toilet roll handy in case you spill your brew?

thetoxicnerve

24,458 posts

145 months

Saturday 21st March 2020
quotequote all
zippy3x said:
toilet roll handy in case you spill your brew?
laugh

Busted.

paulrockliffe

12,491 posts

195 months

Saturday 21st March 2020
quotequote all
thetoxicnerve said:
zippy3x said:
toilet roll handy in case you spill your brew?
laugh

Busted.
Ha ha, I knew the detectives would spot that. I'm sure you also spotted the Sinex spray and concluded I was coming off the back of three weeks of a heavy cold.

:-)

Some Gump

11,673 posts

154 months

Saturday 21st March 2020
quotequote all
thetoxicnerve said:
zippy3x said:
toilet roll handy in case you spill your brew?
laugh

Busted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3lhfVpLL4

Glade

3,729 posts

191 months

Saturday 21st March 2020
quotequote all

Watchman

Original Poster:

6,391 posts

213 months

Saturday 21st March 2020
quotequote all
ecs said:


It's a 2018 MacBook Pro with two 24" Dell displays of some description, a vintage USB Apple numeric keyboard and Magic Mouse (the mouse is a bit of a crappy design, but I'm addicted to the multi-touch gestures on it so put up with it's ropey Bluetooth and crappy charging socket/batteries falling out).

One of the best things I have which you can't really see is the Henge Stone Pro dock, it runs everything through a single USB-C cable. I used to have loads of cables that I needed to plug in and out all the time.
I like the name Henge Stone, so I looked it up (I'm not a Mac person so I'm unfamiliar with their accessories), and found this which looks ace:


Watchman

Original Poster:

6,391 posts

213 months

Saturday 21st March 2020
quotequote all
paulrockliffe said:
I've been setup for working from home properly for a couple of years, as soon as we got Surface Pros I invested some of my own money in getting a good working environment on the basis that going into the office costs me two hours and £8 a day.

gh

I have my own PC on all three screens and a KVM swapping the big one between my PC and the work one - Couldn't afford a 3 screen KVM that does 4k - Google Home hub sorts the temperature and does the radio, got some decent speakers on the shelves above. All calls through Teams, have a USB hub to charge stuff and a stash of sweets on one of the shelves. Having my own PC there means I can watch youtube or the cricket etc without being interrupted by works VPN and I can easily keep on top of my own stuff while I'm waiting for work stuff.

The space is in the corner of our bedroom, an odd alcove that's about 30cm deep, so the desk is run diagonally across the corner, which works well.

The companion screens are fixed with hot-melt glue into an oak and ash frame I knocked up from off-cuts, the desk and mathcing shelves above are ash fronted, MDF surfaces. I do have a load of 3mm ash veneers for the desk top, but not got round to sorting that out.

The name label is from my first job at Sellafield 20 years ago, it wasn't compulsory.

I am nearing completion of a loft conversion which will give me a better setup, ensuite, underfloor heating, two desks and a relaxation space. It's funded on the basis of it being guest space, but really it's for my working from home habits.
Love it, especially the bit I've highlighted. clap

curlyks2

953 posts

114 months

Saturday 21st March 2020
quotequote all