PistonHeads.com Forum

Cumbria/Lakes PH'ers: The Filling Station Cafe - Keswick

Cumbria/Lakes PH'ers: The Filling Station Cafe - Keswick

Author
Discussion

NinjaPower

Original Poster:

6,185 posts

103 months

Saturday 12th January 2013
quotequote all
No affiliation at all to the place or anything like that, don't even know who runs it! Just thought I would throw this out here in case it is of interest to any PH'ers looking for a meet in Cumbria.

The Filling Station Diner/Cafe opened up about a year ago and had been building a really good car and bike friendly reputation since.
Meets for both cars and bikes have started happening there now, at weekends there is often a meet of some kind happening.

Best way to find out about what's going on or when meets are seems to be to 'Like' their Facebook page as they update it every few days with details of meetings etc: https://www.facebook.com/TheFillingStationCafe

Their page: http://www.lakesescape.co.uk/Lakes_Escape/Filling_...

Few cool cars there this morning at about 10am despite the freezing winter weather!



















Edited by NinjaPower on Saturday 12th January 15:00

SlowStig

736 posts

94 months

Saturday 12th January 2013
quotequote all
Oddly enough, I went past this place a few months back and said to my GF that it looked like a good place for a meet!

Will be keeping and eye out for the next meeting....

redback911

1,503 posts

189 months

Thursday 17th January 2013
quotequote all
Wow, I have driven past a few times but never stopped. Looks like I am missing out! Love the motorbike hire as well. Thanks for the heads up, definitely going to be dropping by.



NinjaPower

Original Poster:

6,185 posts

103 months

Thursday 17th January 2013
quotequote all
No problem, I'll add a few more photos and suchlike to this thread the next time I get over there smile

Food is great as well!

GC1

906 posts

103 months

Thursday 17th January 2013
quotequote all
now this looks like an interesting place whats the parking like......someone should organize a monthly meet....
Advertisement

SlowStig

736 posts

94 months

Thursday 17th January 2013
quotequote all
GC1 said:
now this looks like an interesting place whats the parking like......someone should organize a monthly meet....
Sounds like a good idea, gives me an excuse to go for a hoon upto the lakes....

likesachange

1,384 posts

117 months

Saturday 19th January 2013
quotequote all
Brilliant, didn't realise this existed!

Will add them on Facebook now..

drybeer

943 posts

148 months

Monday 21st January 2013
quotequote all
Yup- that was us - I organised a little run out to the lakes for some Audi RS owners and brought the new B8 RS4 along for a blast. Some twitter acquaintances came along for the run - Julian in the 308, Ollie in the MX-5, and Michelle in the MG-A.

We had a great day and came back here for lunch.

Can't recommend The Filling Station enough. Not only is the atmosphere and food excellent, they're able to suggest some good roads if you're not local.

NinjaPower

Original Poster:

6,185 posts

103 months

Monday 21st January 2013
quotequote all
drybeer said:
Yup- that was us - I organised a little run out to the lakes for some Audi RS owners and brought the new B8 RS4 along for a blast. Some twitter acquaintances came along for the run - Julian in the 308, Ollie in the MX-5, and Michelle in the MG-A.

We had a great day and came back here for lunch.

Can't recommend The Filling Station enough. Not only is the atmosphere and food excellent, they're able to suggest some good roads if you're not local.
I was there by chance with a mate in our Clio 172 track car because all our other vehicles are hiding in garages away from the salt! biggrin

If you know of any other meets taking place there would you be kind enough to post them up in this thread in case any other PH'ers fancy it?

smile

drybeer

943 posts

148 months

Monday 21st January 2013
quotequote all
Sure will. Clio looked good. I like those. By any chance is your mate the guy who paints cars in Carlisle at Bumps'n'Scuffs?

NinjaPower

Original Poster:

6,185 posts

103 months

Monday 21st January 2013
quotequote all
drybeer said:
By any chance is your mate the guy who paints cars in Carlisle at Bumps'n'Scuffs?
Yep, that's Stephen. He usually has a small collection of Evo's and other cars at any one time smile


Edited by NinjaPower on Monday 21st January 13:43

drybeer

943 posts

148 months

Monday 21st January 2013
quotequote all
Yes - Stephen - I was 90% certain that was his name but couldn't have posted it in case I made an ass of myself!

I'll let you know when we're going for another drive.

This one was from Keswick to Braithwaite, along the Whinlatter pass, through Lorton, to Crummock Water and Buttermere, and then up the Honister Pass to the Slate Mine, before descending back to the Borrowdale Valley and Keswick. Great scenery, although it would probably be more fun in a lower powered small and agile car. The RS's might just be a little too big for some of the narrow roads.

I'm going to arrange another drive out in April possibly in southern Scotland, but if there's anybody else going for a drive, likewise post it here and hopefully we'll get some numbers together.

Schmeeky

3,785 posts

140 months

Thursday 24th January 2013
quotequote all
GC1 said:
now this looks like an interesting place whats the parking like......someone should organize a monthly meet....
There's a good bit of parking round the back as well as what's out front, although I've never been back there to see exactly how big it is - from Google Earth it looks like space for maybe a dozen cars.

A monthly meet sounds like a great idea, and I'm sure Keiron (the owner) would be up for it.

redback911 said:
Love the motorbike hire as well.
He's got the most gorgeous Thruxton combination for hire as well -


cloud9



I was over helping him clean and polish his hire bikes a while back, when the Cafe was still in the planning stage (that's my SV is in the foreground). I'm dead chuffed that it's being so successful. There is a bit of opposition though, presumably from the folks with fungi in their beards who think the Lake District should only be used by hillwalkers and the backpack brigade...

drybeer

943 posts

148 months

Friday 25th January 2013
quotequote all
Schmeeky said:
He's got the most gorgeous Thruxton combination for hire as well -


cloud9



I was over helping him clean and polish his hire bikes a while back, when the Cafe was still in the planning stage (that's my SV is in the foreground). I'm dead chuffed that it's being so successful. There is a bit of opposition though, presumably from the folks with fungi in their beards who think the Lake District should only be used by hillwalkers and the backpack brigade...
I'm not sure but I think the space around the back is the "Crosthwaite Garage" which still trades there - not sure if they would frown upon cafe customers parking there...

GC1

906 posts

103 months

Saturday 26th January 2013
quotequote all
I'm not sure but I think the space around the back is the "Crosthwaite Garage" which still trades there - not sure if they would frown upon cafe customers parking there..

I'll bring the Noble,sure they wont frown then,might have trouble with Dribble though Lol.....smile

likesachange

1,384 posts

117 months

Saturday 26th January 2013
quotequote all
will be up for a meet here at some point too, will keep an eye on thread.

I am heading up to the borders to go on a run with the scotland lot tomorrow...

SlowStig

736 posts

94 months

Saturday 26th January 2013
quotequote all
likesachange said:
will be up for a meet here at some point too, will keep an eye on thread.

I am heading up to the borders to go on a run with the scotland lot tomorrow...
Any details on that? I am in glasgow atm and no plans for tomorrow...

likesachange

1,384 posts

117 months

Saturday 2nd February 2013
quotequote all
bugger sorry mate just saw your reply..... it was in the scotland forum under regional..

SlowStig

736 posts

94 months

Saturday 2nd March 2013
quotequote all
Ah well, my o/h found me something to do anyways!

Bumping this to the top, was wondering if anyone was doing a meet/run in this area over easter?

GTDB7

958 posts

91 months

Sunday 3rd March 2013
quotequote all
Preston Supercar Meet will be planning a run out, but probably not by Easter.