Potentially looking for a 996 Turbo

Potentially looking for a 996 Turbo

Author
Discussion

Juddder

Original Poster:

650 posts

123 months

Thursday 26th May 2016
quotequote all
Hi everyone

I normally live over on the TVR Cerbera forum, but have had the recent thoughts to find a nice 996 Turbo to add

I've looked at a few ranging from £30k up to £40k, some with Aero kits, some with standard Whale Tale spoilers and various options (manual / automatic) but thought I would post a quick message up here to see if anyone was thinking of selling theirs that might not be on the market yet?

Apologies in advance if it's not normal practice to put out wanted ads, but you can read my profile and posts - it's just me looking to potentially find a nice car smile

Either way if anyone has one that they might be thinking about a sale for that fits my very rough requirements, drop me a PM, or also if anyone knows of a great one for sale I might not have spotted, would love to know

Also has any strong thoughts on Aerokit versus non for future valuations, I'd love some opinions?

[I've read back through the forum posts to late last year so have checked I'm not massively duplicating any existing posts!]

Regards

Alex / Juddder [based in London]

Edited by Juddder on Friday 27th May 00:23


Edited by Juddder on Friday 27th May 00:27

UpTheIron

3,665 posts

207 months

Thursday 26th May 2016
quotequote all
Are you selling the Cerb?

Would 105k miles scare you off an 03 Seal Grey 996TT? Although I did say to myself I'd never sell!

eastsider

1,050 posts

162 months

Thursday 26th May 2016
quotequote all
Predictably I'd say manual coupe non-aero only. You'll be very lucky to get one with decent history, condition, colour etc for £40k - more like £50k.

Juddder

Original Poster:

650 posts

123 months

Thursday 26th May 2016
quotequote all
Thanks for the replies guys

Yes the plan is to ideally keep the Cerbera, but add a different perspective with the 996 Turbo - although as with all plans always potentially subject to change wink

Re: style and colour - I'm actually, strange to sum, a bit of a fan of the aero style and not totally fixed on colour so interested in all combinations and UpTheIron, let's talk - one never knows!

@eastsider - budget is not as high as the 50's though I'm afraid - so I guess the best I can find within original budget as above smile

Hope that helps!

Alex





Edited by Juddder on Thursday 26th May 22:33

Adam B

15,090 posts

193 months

Thursday 26th May 2016
quotequote all
wouldn't worry too much about the aerokit - was a £3k option when new but has little impact on value now

so personal preference, I quite like the fixed rear spoiler, much prefer the painted side sills, but not keen on front lip if a light colour

I was looking a few years ago, but ended up in a 997 turbo instead. Both are great, I would recommend manual over tip which I really disliked, but that is the biggest choice so try both and see what suits you. From a quick browse in PH classifieds all the cheaper cars are tips so seems most agree that manuals is preferable now this is a second hand enthusiasts car. Similar thing going on in 997 turbo prices too.

good luck - lovely cars
Advertisement

Juddder

Original Poster:

650 posts

123 months

Thursday 26th May 2016
quotequote all
Thanks Adam

Advice much appreciated and agree in both 997 and 996 format they look pretty special

Anyone thinking of a change, drop me a PM as above!

Regards

Alex

Adam B

15,090 posts

193 months

Thursday 26th May 2016
quotequote all
forgot to say, one advantage of aerokit fixed wing is one less expensive moving part, pistons can go in the standard variable spoiler and I have heard of £1000 bills (probably OPC)

ds666

797 posts

118 months

Thursday 26th May 2016
quotequote all
X50 manual 2004 ,71k miles ,midnight blue with grey , tight as a drum ..,

mr pg

1,425 posts

144 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
Adam B said:
forgot to say, one advantage of aerokit fixed wing is one less expensive moving part, pistons can go in the standard variable spoiler and I have heard of £1000 bills (probably OPC)
The ram kit on its own is £1400 from OPC.

Digga

26,357 posts

222 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
Big thing with turbos is condition. Having run TVRs I know they have their pitfalls, but with turbos you have more complication x2; i.e. two of everything expensive; turbos, actuators, heatshields, intercoolers etc. etc. plus you also have a 4WD system and a gearbox that can throw the odd fault up.

Above anything else, irrespective of cost; whether £20k or £50k is:
  • Buy on condition and maintenance history
  • Get a PPI
Otherwise, you could be buying yourself a ticket to some huge bills.

shantybeater

803 posts

108 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
You don't need 50k to get in a good one...well not yet (if ever)

Big price differentiators (in order of greatness):
- Mileage (Sub 70k cars specifically)
- Transmission (Manual over Tip)
- X50 Performance pack
- Exterior/Interior colour (Black interior is most sought after, black/gunmetal & unusual colours such as yellow/red for exterior)

If you want to tick all of the above boxes, I'll agree you are unlikely to see much change from 50k. But if you are happy with a tiptronic with higher mileage, I'm sure you'll bag a good one well within your budget.

They are fantastic cars, I myself am considering selling but every time i pull her out of the garage all thoughts are lost. There is also nothing else which takes my fancy without adding 20k+ (997.1 does nothing for me, wouldn't even swap mine like for like)

Best of luck with the search.


Edited by shantybeater on Friday 27th May 18:45

Juddder

Original Poster:

650 posts

123 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
Thanks for the feedback guys, and opinions - all which are welcome to help build up my understanding of what I really want

Half the fun with these things is finding the one that's right for me, with the pretty good (IMHO, obvioulsy!) budget range I have, so I'm taking it all on board and seeing what I can find

Even started putting together a spreadsheet today with all the options on it (XAF, XKD, XKJ etc.) of ones that are out there - now that's probably taking it a bit too far!!! wink

shantybeater

803 posts

108 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
Nothing wrong with going the extra level, I'd add to your list facelift cars from 02 onwards ended up with chassis strengthening (and a glovebox!)

The Red Devil

251 posts

46 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
shantybeater said:
You don't need 50k to get in a good one...well not yet (if ever)

Big price differentiators (in order of greatness):
- Mileage (Sub 70k cars specifically)
- Transmission (Manual over Tip)
- X50 Performance pack
- Exterior/Interior colour (Black interior is most sought after, black/gunmetal & unusual colours such as yellow/red for exterior)

If you want to tick all of the above boxes, I'll agree you are unlikely to see much change from 50k. But if you are happy with a tiptronic with higher mileage, I'm sure you'll bag a good one well within your budget.
They are fantastic cars, I myself am considering selling but every time i pull her out of the garage all thoughts are lost. There is also nothing else which takes my fancy without adding 20k+ (997.1 does nothing for me, wouldn't even swap mine like for like)


X50 is not something I would pay a premium for, my car has a stage 1 tune plus other light mods and would leave any X50 pack car for dead.
X50 chat is for magazine warriors, or X50 owners who think they have a better car. Listen up, standard manual car, 60k odd on it, tune it,
send to OPC and have them go through it with a fine toothcomb, add it all up and you will be close to 50. To buy a tuned manual with the
right clutch etc, a perfect history and excellent loved condition, low owners yada yada yada and there will be next to no change from 50.

Unless you can all point one out to the man...... You heard it here first



shantybeater

803 posts

108 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
The Red Devil]hantybeater said:
You don't need 50k to get in a good one...well not yet (if ever)

Big price differentiators (in order of greatness):
- Mileage (Sub 70k cars specifically)
- Transmission (Manual over Tip)
- X50 Performance pack
- Exterior/Interior colour (Black interior is most sought after, black/gunmetal & unusual colours such as yellow/red for exterior)

If you want to tick all of the above boxes, I'll agree you are unlikely to see much change from 50k. But if you are happy with a tiptronic with higher mileage, I'm sure you'll bag a good one well within your budget.

They are fantastic cars, I myself am considering selling but every time i pull her out of the garage all thoughts are lost. There is also nothing else which takes my fancy without adding 20k+ (997.1 does nothing for me, wouldn't even swap mine like for like)


X50 is not something I would pay a premium for, my car has a stage 1 tune plus other light mods and would leave any X50 pack car for dead.
X50 chat is for magazine warriors, or X50 owners who think they have a better car. Listen up, standard manual car, 60k odd on it, tune it,
send to OPC and have them go through it with a fine toothcomb, add it all up and you will be close to 50. To buy a tuned manual with the
right clutch etc, a perfect history and excellent loved condition, low owners yada yada yada and there will be next to no change from 50.

Unless you can all point one out to the man...... You heard it here first
80% of buyers wouldn't touch a modified 996 Turbo, me being one so you will devalue your car (Exc. 9E due to glowing reputation).The X50 pack is sought after and increases the value of the car, FACT. The aftermarket 'chipped' versus a factory fitted option is completely null and void, chip an X50 and guess what, it goes faster.

Equally some chap selling 996 Turbo's which are not X50, will of course tell you they are the best and worth more. Drive both, make a decision. I found the X50 much more enjoyable due to its boost delivery.


Edited by shantybeater on Friday 27th May 21:06

The Red Devil

251 posts

46 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
shantybeater said:
80% of buyers wouldn't touch a modified 996 Turbo, me being one so you will devalue your car (Exc. 9E due to glowing reputation).The X50 pack is sought after and increases the value of the car, FACT. The aftermarket 'chipped' versus a factory fitted option is completely null and void, chip an X50 and guess what, it goes faster.

Equally some chap selling 996 Turbo's which are not X50, will of course tell you they are the best and worth more. Drive both, make a decision. I found the X50 much more enjoyable due to its boost delivery.


Edited by shantybeater on Friday 27th May 21:06
80% of buyers don't have a bloody clue what they are talking about, just like you by the sounds of it.....
I should know as I have to listen to them all day....
Chip an X50 and guess what, its not as tuneable, do some research son. They don't blow in as early, I have owned
several of both kinds. Not saying its an inferior car, just not as fun, but you keep blowing on about X50 and eventually
you will believe your own bullst. Not worth the premium.
And my car is a 9E tuned car, that was the driving factor in me buying it and I know what I am talking about, back
to the drawing board pantsbeater...

shantybeater

803 posts

108 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
The Red Devil said:
80% of buyers don't have a bloody clue what they are talking about, just like you by the sounds of it.....
I should know as I have to listen to them all day....
Chip an X50 and guess what, its not as tuneable, do some research son. They don't blow in as early, I have owned
several of both kinds. Not saying its an inferior car, just not as fun, but you keep blowing on about X50 and eventually
you will believe your own bullst. Not worth the premium.
And my car is a 9E tuned car, that was the driving factor in me buying it and I know what I am talking about, back
to the drawing board pantsbeater...
Sorry you misunderstand, I'm not interested in your opinion, if you re-read my original post I was in no way attempting to persuade the OP to buy an X50, I was pointing out the fact it carries a premium (much like colour/mileage etc.) I'm not interested in chipping my car thanks so I couldn't care less what affect it has

Back on topic

Edited by shantybeater on Friday 27th May 21:37

Jibaro

184 posts

120 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
You're in the trade aren't you Red Devil? Do you mean you wouldn't personally put any value on the factory-fitted X50 power option, surely you'd agree you'd have to pay extra if you were buying a car for stock, same as you'd have to pay more for a manual, and pay less for a modified car as these factors affect market value? This is surely what the OP will find in his search.

Not tuning a 996 turbo is a crime though biggrin

OP have you seen the 75k Seal Grey Manual (9E tuned with desirable upgrades) for sale on 911uk (£39k)??

The Red Devil

251 posts

46 months

Friday 27th May 2016
quotequote all
Jibaro said:
You're in the trade aren't you Red Devil? Do you mean you wouldn't personally put any value on the factory-fitted X50 power option, surely you'd agree you'd have to pay extra if you were buying a car for stock, same as you'd have to pay more for a manual, and pay less for a modified car as these factors affect market value? This is surely what the OP will find in his search.

Not tuning a 996 turbo is a crime though biggrin

OP have you seen the 75k Seal Grey Manual (9E tuned with desirable upgrades) for sale on 911uk (£39k)??
I would not pay a premium for it, I would certainly ask a premium when selling as I am in it for profit
and I flow with the market.
I will pay a premium for a car that has ben serviced year in year out as opposed to this 2 year crap, tells
me the guy belongs to the 20% well informed brigade, as opposed to pantsbeaters 80% mob.
Double standards? Yes. Does not change the hard facts though.
I would pay a premium for a 9E tuned car, is there any other reliable tuner?
A standard Turbo is rather boring once you have got to grips with a properly tuned car.
Having owned other 6Ts that were so called tuned, there is a country mile of a difference with a 9E car.
Allow me to take cover..