some ebay sellers

Author
Discussion

martinnitram

Original Poster:

244 posts

142 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
I put a best offer in for a car part on ebay a few weeks back, only a small part for about £15, anyway, during the time it took for the seller (business seller)to accept this offer a friend of a friend had one spare, for free.

Of course the ebay seller then came back and accepted my offer and sent an invoice, i was going to buy the part and keep as a spare for an easy life, but noticed the seller accepted returns, so i sent a message explaining what had happened and that i no longer wanted the item, never heard anything back.
Until the other day, i noticed he had put an unpaid item case on my ebay account.

Now i know in the scheme of things, its not going to ruin my life, but what a sneaky, spiteful little wker.

surveyor

13,493 posts

125 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
I'm currently dealing with one wker.

Bought a used climate control panel in full working order for my X5. It's solved the problem with the original, but some of the LCD lines don't illuminate.

His reaction to offer me some money back or a 80% refund. Ebay dispute entered where he agreed to a full refund, but now seems to be arguing again.

Mildly annoying it is.

TRB

1,444 posts

78 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
martinnitram said:
stuff
So you bought something from ebay, didn't pay, then moan when you get a strike for not paying?

It might be a tad harsh, but there is pretty much zero protection for sellers on ebay and an unlimited supply of time wasters and chancers.

Jimboka

7,697 posts

145 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
Maybe they had to follow that path to get fees back?
Don't worry about it, it won't affect anything..

Drek

609 posts

106 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
TRB said:
So you bought something from ebay, didn't pay, then moan when you get a strike for not paying?
Only that wasn't what he did, was it? Did you actually read what he wrote?


Advertisement

davamer23

1,048 posts

95 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
Is there not a time limit on which the seller has to accept/decline/counter the offer?

C0nr0d

9 posts

66 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
I bought an irmscher gearknob from a guy on Ebay a while back. Gearknob itself is threaded and comes with an adapter you put on the shaft with some grub screws, then gearknob on top. Anyway seller lists it mint condition etc etc all looked good. Buy it and there's no adapter. Asked him where's the adapter and he told me it ex display model, doesn't come with one. Some people disagree but I feel if it doesn't come with the necessary part to fit it you should mention it in the advert. Ended up with a big dispute of him telling me to buy another gearknob and make an adapter out of that and then told me he'll give me a 20% refund to cover the cost. I asked for the full refund he told me all modification parts to a car need some work to fit them and it didn't state it came with the adapter so it's my own fault. I've done plenty of mods before and said all parts adverts state if they need other parts or work to fit them and Irmscher doesn't say "comes with adapter" on their own advert on their website because obviously should come with it. Carried on refusing. Soon as I filed a purchase complaint thing through Ebay he was alerted of it and told me he'd give me a full refund and there's no need to file a complaint. Already been done and had given them my reasoning and they closed it with the Seller needing to give me a full refund.

I don't know why they even try it

pimpin gimp

2,585 posts

141 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
Jimboka said:
Maybe they had to follow that path to get fees back?
Don't worry about it, it won't affect anything..
Non payment can prevent you bidding on items. We have our sellers account set to ban people bidding if they have more than 2 non-payments in 6 months.
If the guy wanted his fees back he could just have cancelled the transaction due to numerous other reasons that wouldn't affect the OP.

daemon

23,026 posts

138 months

Saturday 18th January 2014
quotequote all
Jimboka said:
Maybe they had to follow that path to get fees back?
Don't worry about it, it won't affect anything..
+1

The guy probably did it to get his fees back.

martinnitram

Original Poster:

244 posts

142 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
TRB said:
martinnitram said:
stuff
So you bought something from ebay, didn't pay, then moan when you get a strike for not paying?

It might be a tad harsh, but there is pretty much zero protection for sellers on ebay and an unlimited supply of time wasters and chancers.
Its not that, the part hadn't been paid for so the guy hadn't despatched it, he offers a refund on returns anyway, so in my wisdom thought i would save him the trouble of packing and sending it, only for me to return it wasting my time.
Seemed sensible to me.



martinnitram

Original Poster:

244 posts

142 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
C0nr0d said:
I don't know why they even try it
Because they don't have to face the customer, if it was a shop and you went back it would be a different attitude completely.

PurpleMoonlight

15,448 posts

98 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
martinnitram said:
I put a best offer in for a car part on ebay a few weeks back, only a small part for about £15, anyway, during the time it took for the seller (business seller)to accept this offer a friend of a friend had one spare, for free.

Of course the ebay seller then came back and accepted my offer and sent an invoice, i was going to buy the part and keep as a spare for an easy life, but noticed the seller accepted returns, so i sent a message explaining what had happened and that i no longer wanted the item, never heard anything back.
Until the other day, i noticed he had put an unpaid item case on my ebay account.

Now i know in the scheme of things, its not going to ruin my life, but what a sneaky, spiteful little wker.
This does not make sense.

For some considerable time now ebay has operated a 'offer, accept, confirm' process. So you would have had to confirm you still wanted to buy the item after the seller accepted your offer.

Why would you do that if you already had a free item from a friend?

martinnitram

Original Poster:

244 posts

142 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
PurpleMoonlight said:
martinnitram said:
I put a best offer in for a car part on ebay a few weeks back, only a small part for about £15, anyway, during the time it took for the seller (business seller)to accept this offer a friend of a friend had one spare, for free.

Of course the ebay seller then came back and accepted my offer and sent an invoice, i was going to buy the part and keep as a spare for an easy life, but noticed the seller accepted returns, so i sent a message explaining what had happened and that i no longer wanted the item, never heard anything back.
Until the other day, i noticed he had put an unpaid item case on my ebay account.

Now i know in the scheme of things, its not going to ruin my life, but what a sneaky, spiteful little wker.
This does not make sense.

For some considerable time now ebay has operated a 'offer, accept, confirm' process. So you would have had to confirm you still wanted to buy the item after the seller accepted your offer.

Why would you do that if you already had a free item from a friend?
No, i made a "or best offer" offer, which the seller accepted, and i was then prompted to pay for the item.

Riley Blue

14,671 posts

167 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
martinnitram said:
PurpleMoonlight said:
martinnitram said:
I put a best offer in for a car part on ebay a few weeks back, only a small part for about £15, anyway, during the time it took for the seller (business seller)to accept this offer a friend of a friend had one spare, for free.

Of course the ebay seller then came back and accepted my offer and sent an invoice, i was going to buy the part and keep as a spare for an easy life, but noticed the seller accepted returns, so i sent a message explaining what had happened and that i no longer wanted the item, never heard anything back.
Until the other day, i noticed he had put an unpaid item case on my ebay account.

Now i know in the scheme of things, its not going to ruin my life, but what a sneaky, spiteful little wker.
This does not make sense.

For some considerable time now ebay has operated a 'offer, accept, confirm' process. So you would have had to confirm you still wanted to buy the item after the seller accepted your offer.

Why would you do that if you already had a free item from a friend?
No, i made a "or best offer" offer, which the seller accepted, and i was then prompted to pay for the item.
You made an offer
Seller accepted offer and sends invoice
Friend finds part
You don't pay invoice but suggest a 'return'
Seller strikes up an 'unpaid'

Is that how it went?

martinnitram

Original Poster:

244 posts

142 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
Riley Blue said:
You made an offer
Seller accepted offer and sends invoice
Friend finds part
You don't pay invoice but suggest a 'return'
Seller strikes up an 'unpaid'

Is that how it went?
Short, to the point, precise bullets of information.

I should have worded it like this to start with.

ch427

3,634 posts

174 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
If the transaction has gone through just leave some negative feedback, word it carefully so it does not get removed.

Ryanmt

49 posts

92 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
He isn't being spiteful he did it to get the fees back. I do this to all non paying bidders unless they communicate well and I can arrange to cancel the purchase via eBay.

I've got no problem if people change their mind but im not paying 10 quid in eBay fees for it!

Don't be an arse and leave bad feedback.. The strike means nothing unless you collect more of them and at least the seller you messed around only lost his listing fee and time dealing with you and relisting it rather than having to pay fees on it too!

It only takes a few low star ratings even if the feedback is positive for a seller to loose their top rated or poweresellere status. Both can have fairly serious financial implications for sellers.

Edited by Ryanmt on Sunday 19th January 14:32

Jimboka

7,697 posts

145 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
pimpin gimp said:
Non payment can prevent you bidding on items. We have our sellers account set to ban people bidding if they have more than 2 non-payments in 6 months.
If the guy wanted his fees back he could just have cancelled the transaction due to numerous other reasons that wouldn't affect the OP.
Not the end of the world though . If he does get another one, and happens to be blocked from buying from someone whose filters are set, just go and buy from someone else !

Axionknight

8,387 posts

76 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
It's the wker buyers who bid, win and then message you saying they can't pay - happened TWICE to me when trying to sell a Volvo 850 T5-R..... "SORRY I WON BUT I CANT AFFORD TILL PAY DAY IN 3 WEEKS LOL OK?".

Die.

MadeinWigan

168 posts

164 months

Sunday 19th January 2014
quotequote all
I've just "won" a car on eBay for £760. In the text the guy says that he won't entertain offers below £1k but he didn't bother to put a reserve on. Just had a message to ask to cancel the transaction as the car has developed a fault.

Why not just be honest?