RE: BMW M4 GTS: Time for Coffee

RE: BMW M4 GTS: Time for Coffee

Thursday 28th April 2016

BMW M4 GTS: Time for Coffee?

Dan attempts to make himself heard over the M4 GTS's water-injected twin-turbo six...



The buzz after driving the BMW M4 GTS at Castle Combe last week still hasn't subsided. Yes, the car is stupidly expensive. No, not everyone will dig the slightly aftermarket looks. But it is one of the fastest and most exciting cars we've driven in a long, long time and hopefully a sense of that comes across in the vid we've got here.

Certainly you'll get a feel for how damned loud it is at maximum attack - loud enough that, even mic'd up, Dan struggles to make himself heard somewhat. Apologies for that but it is at least an honest impression of what it's like onboard, this in the Comfort mode required to run the exhaust in its quieter setting!

Enjoy...
Watch the video here

 

Author
Discussion

AER

Original Poster:

928 posts

198 months

Gandahar

5,162 posts

56 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
Those wheels remind me of a young lady who has pink wheels on her moderately sporty small car down the road.

Why didn't they make this car orange again with black wheels?

Good effort though. Perhaps some of this fairy dust should have been sprinkled on the standard M3 / M4 though so more people could enjoy it?

Your white gloves Dan are getting to be almost as good as Stefan Roser's slip ons and white socks driving the Ruf yellowbird

seabrook132

35 posts

58 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
What's going on with the bonnet alignment on that E92 GTS? Looks like it hasn't been shut properly.

Still miles better looking than the M4!

Though if I had the choice, I'd have a saloon. Is it just me or have saloon M3s always looked better and more purposeful than the equivalent coupe versions?

Edited by seabrook132 on Thursday 28th April 11:36

Sam All

3,101 posts

29 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
Major take-away for me from this - BMW have resumed making cars that will rival the 911 GT/RS on track.


Dan Trent

1,815 posts

96 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
seabrook132 said:
What's going on with the bonnet alignment on that E92 GTS? Looks like it hasn't been shut properly.

Still miles better looking than the M4!

Though if I had the choice, I'd have a saloon. Is it just me or have saloon M3s have always looked better and more purposeful than the equivalent coupe versions?
Yes, apologies for that. I can assure you the car is all as it should be and we didn't have a fender bender arranging them for the pictures! We weren't able to drive them in anger back to back on the day (the M3 would have blown the noise meters!) but I have driven this car previously and will write a standalone comparison in due course.

Cheers,

Dan
Advertisement

EnglishTony

2,552 posts

27 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
You for coffee?


MrBarry123

4,610 posts

49 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
Enjoyed that - thanks Dan.

mlhj83

136 posts

82 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
Dan Trent said:
seabrook132 said:
What's going on with the bonnet alignment on that E92 GTS? Looks like it hasn't been shut properly.

Still miles better looking than the M4!

Though if I had the choice, I'd have a saloon. Is it just me or have saloon M3s have always looked better and more purposeful than the equivalent coupe versions?
Yes, apologies for that. I can assure you the car is all as it should be and we didn't have a fender bender arranging them for the pictures! We weren't able to drive them in anger back to back on the day (the M3 would have blown the noise meters!) but I have driven this car previously and will write a standalone comparison in due course.

Cheers,

Dan
The left bonnet latch hasn't been properly engaged. There are 3 bonnet latches for safety at high speed due to the lightweight and flexible aluminium structure and skin of the bonnet. The centre and right latch were engaged but not the left; a very common occurrence due to rubber stopper being a little high on the left, meaning one would have to press down on the left side of the bonnet more firmly to engage the latch. I just screwed the rubber stopper deeper (on mine) to give further clearance to make it easier for the latch to engage.

g3org3y

12,091 posts

119 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
Sounds really good. ears

It'll be interesting to see how values of these hold up over the next 5-10 years.

darreni

2,219 posts

198 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all

Sam All

3,101 posts

29 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
g3org3y said:
Sounds really good. ears

It'll be interesting to see how values of these hold up over the next 5-10 years.
The na stuff is not repeatable, this new tech will get better. esp hybrid.

Speed_Demon

2,564 posts

116 months

Thursday 28th April 2016
quotequote all
AER said:
Did sir order a main of "huge balls"?

What a lap. Very impressed with the car, seemed extremely composed (as did the driver).