PistonHeads.com Forum

RE: Mazda 2 GT Sport

Friday 21st April

Mazda 2 GT Sport

It's not an ST-chasing hot hatch, but there are a few points of interest with the newest small Mazda



Many comments - alright, perhaps one or two - on our Suzuki Swift Sport PH Fleet updates have mentioned the Mazda 2, and with good reason. Like the Suzuki it's a small and light Japanese supermini, powered by a keen naturally aspirated engine and using a six-speed manual. With the Suzuki now defunct, the Mazda is actually the only one you can buy new.

Five-door only - boo!
Five-door only - boo!
To encourage this Mazda has now introduced a 'GT Sport' model. Sadly this does not use the MX-5's 2.0-litre for a true pocket rocket, but it's quite interesting nonetheless. Available exclusively with the 115hp 1.5-litre engine, the GT Sport is marked out externally by LED lights, new 16-inch wheels, a rear spoiler and two new colour options: Deep Crimson Mica and Eternal Blue Mica.

All well and good, but the more interesting changes are underneath. There's now Mazda's G-Vectoring Control (GVC) as standard which, in Mazda's words, "varies engine torque to optimise loading on the wheels when cornering to indiscernibly provide more precise handling and improve comfort." Interesting tech to have on a supermini!

Six-speed manual though - hurrah!
Six-speed manual though - hurrah!
Moreover, a range of detail tweaks that will pass many by - but to enthusiasts will be worthwhile - should make the 2 better to drive. The electric power steering has been recalibrated to improve feel, the dampers have been tweaked to enhance the ride, the front anti-roll bar bushing is new and the front lower suspension arm has been changed too. Mazda says they represent "subtle enhancements" to the 2's driver-focused dynamics, with new insulation said to improve refinement as well.

A price hasn't yet been announced for the GT Sport, although the regular 115hp Sport Nav retails at £16,095. Expect it to be confirmed nearer the June launch, where we'll hope to drive one too. Got to make the most of light cars without turbos while we can!

 

 

 

 

Author
Discussion

TNH

Original Poster:

465 posts

71 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
Seems a bit bizarre they haven't used the higher output 1.5 used in the MX5? 130bhp?

s m

15,586 posts

127 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
Are you going to do a head to head with your loaner Swift? Manufacturers figures suggest quite similar performance despite the power discrepancy

great_kahn

74 posts

10 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
How do you get so little power from a 1.5 litre engine in 2017?

"Got to make the most of light cars without turbos while we can!"

Or bid them good riddance and consign to the history books. Wheezy gutless turds.

hornetrider

63,161 posts

129 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
My mrs has the previous generation 2 Sport bought from new. It's fine as a runabout but the engine is indeed wheezier than I would have imagined and I wouldn't even call it a 'warm' hatch. It is however a fine car for doing what we bought it for - being an utterly reliable pleasant to drive shopping trolley.

xjay1337

9,193 posts

42 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
Hmmmmmm

Dont like it. Reminds of me of the Ignis sport.


Advertisement

s m

15,586 posts

127 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
hornetrider said:
My mrs has the previous generation 2 Sport bought from new. It's fine as a runabout but the engine is indeed wheezier than I would have imagined and I wouldn't even call it a 'warm' hatch. It is however a fine car for doing what we bought it for - being an utterly reliable pleasant to drive shopping trolley.
Is that the 102bhp engine?

dollyboy

109 posts

98 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
It appears to have two completely different air vents in the middle of the dash, what's that all about?

GTEYE

970 posts

134 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
Hmmm indeed. The colour is actually more interesting than the car.

Mazda seem to have rather modest ambitions with a lot of their cars (apart from the MX-5), which then just kind of fade into obscurity.

hornetrider

63,161 posts

129 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
s m said:
hornetrider said:
My mrs has the previous generation 2 Sport bought from new. It's fine as a runabout but the engine is indeed wheezier than I would have imagined and I wouldn't even call it a 'warm' hatch. It is however a fine car for doing what we bought it for - being an utterly reliable pleasant to drive shopping trolley.
Is that the 102bhp engine?
Yeah it's one of these. Nice car and don't get me wrong, we love it. But it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding hehe



http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2017...

s m

15,586 posts

127 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
hornetrider said:
s m said:
hornetrider said:
My mrs has the previous generation 2 Sport bought from new. It's fine as a runabout but the engine is indeed wheezier than I would have imagined and I wouldn't even call it a 'warm' hatch. It is however a fine car for doing what we bought it for - being an utterly reliable pleasant to drive shopping trolley.
Is that the 102bhp engine?
Yeah it's one of these.



http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2017...
The 102bhp version managed 60 in 9.7 and 117mph flat out when put through the timing gear in 2007 ( Mazda figures were 10 second plus and same top speed for the 102bhp engine ).


Mazda reckon the extra bhp sneaks it into the 8.7 second bracket now plus an extra 6mph ( 123mph ) - Would that be getting near the Swift/Fiesta Ecoboost figures?

Dale487

470 posts

47 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
TNH said:
Seems a bit bizarre they haven't used the higher output 1.5 used in the MX5? 130bhp?
Protecting the MX5 I'd assume - either price point wise or performance (can't see them steeling too many sales from each other though).




loudlashadjuster

2,785 posts

108 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
Press release-tastic.

culpz

2,412 posts

36 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
Bit pricey isn't it for a warm-ish hatch contender? You could say it is chasing a Fiesta ST as a base one of those isn't much more, price wise.

Really not keen on the looks either, outside or in. Not for me at all.

  • EDIT* Potentially expensive as price not yet revealed. Basing it on the current model outlined on the article.
Edited by culpz on Friday 21st April 12:15

Mike1990

440 posts

55 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
Always quite liked the 2 Sports more so the earlier ones like that Blue one. Different alternatives to the Warm Hatch segment, but they seem always get overlooked.

ahenners

191 posts

50 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
What's going on with that interior? Looks like a cr*p rip off of the Audi A3.

Dion20vt

238 posts

86 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
A Mazda2 MPS please Mazda!! biggrin

kambites

52,711 posts

145 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
great_kahn said:
How do you get so little power from a 1.5 litre engine in 2017?
By not tuning it for power. I'm pretty sure the same basic engine is available in a higher state of tune in some cars.

court

1,360 posts

140 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
dollyboy said:
It appears to have two completely different air vents in the middle of the dash, what's that all about?
Those air vents are actually hurting my brain.

Mr2Mike

17,948 posts

179 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
great_kahn said:
How do you get so little power from a 1.5 litre engine in 2017?

"Got to make the most of light cars without turbos while we can!"

Or bid them good riddance and consign to the history books. Wheezy gutless turds.
The great Kahn has spoken; horse droppings have been emitted from the gaping mouth of ignorance.

kambites

52,711 posts

145 months

Friday 21st April
quotequote all
court said:
dollyboy said:
It appears to have two completely different air vents in the middle of the dash, what's that all about?
Those air vents are actually hurting my brain.
I assume it's meant to look driver-centric (there's a round vent either side of the steering column and the passenger side ones are "hidden". A bit like BMW's centre consoles which point towards the driver.

It certainly doesn't work for someone sitting in the central back seat; whether it works from the driver's seat is rather hard to tell without an appropriate picture.