PistonHeads.com Forum

RE: Aston Martin Valkyrie design secrets revealed

RE: Aston Martin Valkyrie design secrets revealed

Saturday 15th July

Aston Martin Valkyrie design secrets revealed

The best look yet at that incredible £3m Aston Martin hypercar



Aston Martin has been drip feeding us information about the Valkyrie for a while now. First it announced plans to build a hypercar in partnership with Red Bull, then some all important tech partners came on board in the shape of Alcon, Cosworth, Ricardo and Multimatic. Still the project had no name though, up until early March at least, when Aston followed tradition and stuck with its 'V' naming strategy to give us the Valkyrie.


Aerodynamics, downforce and lightness are the name of the game where this car is concerned, with Aston describing the Valkyrie as a "celebration of engineering." The tear-drop shaped cockpit allows for large quantities of air to funnel down the Venturi tunnels which feed the rear diffuser. So as not to upset that flow, an alternative to wing mirrors had to be found, meaning that classic concept car gimmick of rear facing cameras finally makes it to production, with feeds displayed at the base of each A-pillar. The rear view mirror is also conspicuous in its absence, due to the enveloping bodywork and roof-mounted engine air intake. This feeds the high-revving, 6.5-litre V12 built by Cosworth, giving the car its one-to-one power to weight ratio (one hp for every kg of weight).

The exterior design is said to be 95 per cent there, with the structure signed off. Although, according to Creative Director of Exterior Design, Miles Nurnberger, Adrian Newey may evolve the non-structural areas of the bodywork in his constant drive for more downforce.

When it comes to weight saving, Aston has pushed the boundary farther than ever before. Taking inspiration from the functionality of a Formula One car's components, the Valkyrie has the lightest production headlights available. The engineering celebrated in their exposed anodised aluminium frame, to which the low and high beam elements are attached. Even the 'Wings' badge has gone on a diet for this project - now 30 per cent thinner than a human hair and 99.4 per cent thinner than a standard enamel badge.


Inside, it looks more like a race car than something to be driven on the road. With seats fitted directly to the carbon tub, owners have the option of four or six-point harnesses. Whichever they choose, the feet-up driving position will let them know they are in something special. Don't expect it to be an uncomfortable space though, Matt Hill, Aston Martin Creative Director of Interiors saying, "You really do have to sit in it to believe there is genuine space for two large adults." Carrying on the motorsport theme, all driver switchgear is on the detachable steering wheel whilst 'vital signs' are shown on the OLED screen.

Deliveries of the Valkyrie will start in 2019, with prices having started at £3million, and all the cars long since sold out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author
Discussion

sidesauce

Original Poster:

623 posts

141 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
What. a. machine.

Wow! clap

AmosMoses

2,635 posts

88 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
Absolutely mad!

Boosted LS1

16,505 posts

183 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
Crikey, it certainly looks extreme. An amazing leap in the dark.

iwantcheese5

59 posts

50 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all



bertie

7,479 posts

207 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
I don't doubt it'll have unbelievable performance, but my god it's ugly!
Advertisement

JohnoVR6

619 posts

135 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all


I'm really hoping its just the angle that photo's been taken from, but if you run a line up through where the carbon fibre weaves meet on the centre line - that particular car isn't straight...

PhantomPH

2,513 posts

148 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
bertie said:
I don't doubt it'll have unbelievable performance, but my god it's ugly!
I think it's the headlights. A different headlight design (larger?) would improve the front no end.

I don't normally think this way, but this is the first car that I have found myself thinking like one of those people who moan about Porsche RS products - all I thought was, "Meh - never going to see one, never going to drive one, not interested". I think I must be unwell...

WCZ

4,641 posts

117 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
insane, hope it can set good lap times

ukaskew

3,474 posts

144 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
Wow. Stunning photos, hard to understand how you fit a human in there looking at some of the angles, led down?!

DanielSan

12,127 posts

90 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
It's a sad thought most of these will never be used in the manner intended.

bertie

7,479 posts

207 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
PhantomPH said:
bertie said:
I don't doubt it'll have unbelievable performance, but my god it's ugly!
I think it's the headlights. A different headlight design (larger?) would improve the front no end.

I don't normally think this way, but this is the first car that I have found myself thinking like one of those people who moan about Porsche RS products - all I thought was, "Meh - never going to see one, never going to drive one, not interested". I think I must be unwell...
I's mainly the front, side and rear view that are fugly to me!!!

ukaskew

3,474 posts

144 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
It's a sad thought most of these will never be used in the manner intended.
At least one owner on the list is well known for actually driving his cars.

Never you mind

601 posts

35 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
bertie said:
I don't doubt it'll have unbelievable performance, but my god it's ugly!
It hasn't been designed with looks as the most important factor, its' been designed with aero being that. I'm just amazed there is going to be something looking like that on our roads and I applaud AM for building it.

deadslow

5,639 posts

146 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
have they bought a job lot of the old allegro quartic steering wheels? biggrin

Nanook

29,519 posts

110 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
ukaskew said:
Wow. Stunning photos, hard to understand how you fit a human in there looking at some of the angles, led down?!
I'm wondering how they fit the engine in, the floor seems to be quite high.

PhantomPH

2,513 posts

148 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
bertie said:
PhantomPH said:
bertie said:
I don't doubt it'll have unbelievable performance, but my god it's ugly!
I think it's the headlights. A different headlight design (larger?) would improve the front no end.

I don't normally think this way, but this is the first car that I have found myself thinking like one of those people who moan about Porsche RS products - all I thought was, "Meh - never going to see one, never going to drive one, not interested". I think I must be unwell...
I's mainly the front, side and rear view that are fugly to me!!!
biggrin

VladD

6,995 posts

188 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
Now that is fking awesome.

Alfa numeric

2,837 posts

102 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
Looks amazing, but where are you supposed to put the numberplates?

h0b0

3,149 posts

119 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
That front end is Quackers.

hyphen

4,367 posts

13 months

Wednesday 12th July
quotequote all
Never you mind said:
bertie said:
I don't doubt it'll have unbelievable performance, but my god it's ugly!
It hasn't been designed with looks as the most important factor, its' been designed with aero being that. I'm just amazed there is going to be something looking like that on our roads and I applaud AM for building it.
+1 I can see why Redbull got Aston on board after designing it, as without a major brand behind it, its front duck look may have sunk it probably.

Also PH article says all sold out, but doesn't say how many. So looked it up, 150 being made with a further 25 Track versions.

One available to buy here for 3.3 million Euros. https://www.knightinternational.net/viewid-3701

Edited by hyphen on Wednesday 12th July 13:26