RE: Kamaz Master Dakar Truck: Pic of the Week

RE: Kamaz Master Dakar Truck: Pic of the Week

Friday 8th December 2017

Kamaz Master Dakar Truck: Pic of the Week

Oh what fun it is to ride in a 980 horsepower sleigh...



The Dakar Rally is definitely amongst the most gruelling automotive events in the world, and Eduard Nikolaev has won it twice. His first victory came in 2013 with the second happening at the start of this year for team Kamaz in the truck category.

Instead of basking in the glory though, he's been back out testing his truck in the extreme cold weather conditions of Murmansk. Well within the Arctic Circle, average temperatures here rarely reach above freezing until mid-July. Luckily his Kamaz-4326 truck features a 16-litre 980hp diesel engine, suspension with 30cm of travel, and tyres with 216 spikes each, enough to allow the plucky Russian driver to hit a snow jump at 140km/h before flying 37 metres through the air.

It would be a spectacular enough feat for any vehicle, but to see a 10.5-ton truck with 1,000-litres of fuel on board soaring through the air is quite a spectacle indeed. Oh, and if a Pic of the Week isn't enough, we also have the video of the jump too. Enjoy!

Resolutions:
16:10
16:9
Quad HD
4K

 

[Source: RedBull]

Author
Discussion

mersontheperson

Original Poster:

73 posts

93 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
Beyond awesome

richs2891

670 posts

181 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
If I won the lottery I would have to buy myself one of these, just a great Tonka toy
- must buy lottery ticket tonight

Smiler.

9,354 posts

158 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
Dear Valued Customer,

Your package of Lead Crystal Champagne Flutes has been delivered.

Yours.


Vlad
FedEx East

Shakermaker

5,901 posts

28 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
richs2891 said:
If I won the lottery I would have to buy myself one of these, just a great Tonka toy
- must buy lottery ticket tonight
As would I. Would need to know if it has ISOFIX points for child seat though.

Dog Star

8,804 posts

96 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
The trucks are waaaaay my favourite category in the Dakar, but awesome as they are they still aren't as awesome as the trucks of old like the DAF turbotwin - some of them could be driven from either end and they were so fast it was crazy - the thing is that they were too fast and people got killed (this resulted in DAF pulling out of the Dakar for many years).

There's a classic video of Jan de Rooy steaming past Ari Vatenens 405 in the desert, they're both going flat out and the truck is outdragging the car. Fantastic!

Video here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUnWnx_rdps

210kmh on sand! The crash (shown at the end) is why they're restricted now.

From Jalopnik... 150mph!!!! yikes

How do you make an 11-ton truck go 150 mph? Two 11.6-liter diesel engines, each fed by three turbochargers, producing 1,200 horsepower and a space-time-ripping 3,466 lb-ft of torque. EACH. That's 2,400 hp and near-as-dirt 7,000 lb-ft. It also had a lightweight aluminum spaceframe, which counteracted the weight of all that mid-mounted diesel powah.

Sadly, one of DAF's two competing trucks went into a 100-mph somersault during the 7th stage of the 1988 Paris-Dakar Rally. The subsequent crash killed co-driver Kees Van Loevezijn. After that, DAF Trucks withdrew from Dakar competition.

Edited by Dog Star on Friday 8th December 10:10

Advertisement

K50 DEL

7,662 posts

156 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
Every time I see videos like this it occurs to me just how much Red Bull has done for motorsport on a worldwide level....

I really don't know where a lot of (more niche) motorsport would be without them.

gigglebug

708 posts

50 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
I'd say the mahoosive understeer straight towards the crowd at 30mph near the start of the video was more perturbing to be honest!

rottie102

3,769 posts

112 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
I LOVE them!

My Nomad looked and felt like a toy next to one in Hungary biggrin


binnerboy

406 posts

78 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
richs2891 said:
If I won the lottery I would have to buy myself one of these, just a great Tonka toy
- must buy lottery ticket tonight
agree though mine would have to be converted into a campervan :-)

BIRMA

2,266 posts

122 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
The trucks are waaaaay my favourite category in the Dakar, but awesome as they are they still aren't as awesome as the trucks of old like the DAF turbotwin - some of them could be driven from either end and they were so fast it was crazy - the thing is that they were too fast and people got killed (this resulted in DAF pulling out of the Dakar for many years).

There's a classic video of Jan de Rooy steaming past Ari Vatenens 405 in the desert, they're both going flat out and the truck is outdragging the car. Fantastic!

Video here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUnWnx_rdps

210kmh on sand! The crash (shown at the end) is why they're restricted now.

From Jalopnik... 150mph!!!! yikes

How do you make an 11-ton truck go 150 mph? Two 11.6-liter diesel engines, each fed by three turbochargers, producing 1,200 horsepower and a space-time-ripping 3,466 lb-ft of torque. EACH. That's 2,400 hp and near-as-dirt 7,000 lb-ft. It also had a lightweight aluminum spaceframe, which counteracted the weight of all that mid-mounted diesel powah.

Sadly, one of DAF's two competing trucks went into a 100-mph somersault during the 7th stage of the 1988 Paris-Dakar Rally. The subsequent crash killed co-driver Kees Van Loevezijn. After that, DAF Trucks withdrew from Dakar competition.

Edited by Dog Star on Friday 8th December 10:10
The trucks were just absolutely bonkers in the Paris Dakar, at one stage they were the most captivating vehicles running.

soad

28,557 posts

104 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
mersontheperson said:
Beyond awesome
yescoolsmokindriving

More photos: http://www.kamazmaster.ru/en/gallery/category/18

sheepman

159 posts

88 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
The trucks have always interested me and it always amazes me how fast they can shift!


Dog Star said:
The trucks are waaaaay my favourite category in the Dakar, but awesome as they are they still aren't as awesome as the trucks of old like the DAF turbotwin - some of them could be driven from either end and they were so fast it was crazy - the thing is that they were too fast and people got killed (this resulted in DAF pulling out of the Dakar for many years).

There's a classic video of Jan de Rooy steaming past Ari Vatenens 405 in the desert, they're both going flat out and the truck is outdragging the car. Fantastic!

Video here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUnWnx_rdps

210kmh on sand! The crash (shown at the end) is why they're restricted now.

From Jalopnik... 150mph!!!! yikes

How do you make an 11-ton truck go 150 mph? Two 11.6-liter diesel engines, each fed by three turbochargers, producing 1,200 horsepower and a space-time-ripping 3,466 lb-ft of torque. EACH. That's 2,400 hp and near-as-dirt 7,000 lb-ft. It also had a lightweight aluminum spaceframe, which counteracted the weight of all that mid-mounted diesel powah.

Sadly, one of DAF's two competing trucks went into a 100-mph somersault during the 7th stage of the 1988 Paris-Dakar Rally. The subsequent crash killed co-driver Kees Van Loevezijn. After that, DAF Trucks withdrew from Dakar competition.

Edited by Dog Star on Friday 8th December 10:10
Jan de rooy was a character indeed, My Granddad worked for his dutch Transport company years ago (still going I believe and forever being pulled in by DVSA for all sort of offences wink )

One of his famous moments I can remember being told was when a drivers brake pads on the lorry needed changing as they were on the metal and his response was "whats the problem? trains have run like that for years" biggrin

An incredibly interesting bloke by all accounts who was a pioneer in transport innovation.

I used to see this at truck shows when I was younger, strange looking thing



Raramuri

74 posts

80 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
Has anyone ever taken anything of this ilk up Pikes Peak? Obviously it wouldn't be the fastest way up there, but surely a giggle and quite the spectacle.

soad

28,557 posts

104 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
Raramuri said:
Has anyone ever taken anything of this ilk up Pikes Peak? Obviously it wouldn't be the fastest way up there, but surely a giggle and quite the spectacle.
I did.

Colin McRae: Dirt, PS3.hehe

el romeral

433 posts

65 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
Smiler. said:
Dear Valued Customer,

Your package of Lead Crystal Champagne Flutes has been delivered.

Yours.


Vlad
FedEx East
Excellent!smile
I do love these vehicles, so impressive.

MerriDave

11 posts

36 months

Friday 8th December 2017
quotequote all
If you like truck jumping, this never fails to impress me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB02Gd_yC_g&t=...

All new fans, out your hands up....

rastapasta

279 posts

66 months

Monday 11th December 2017
quotequote all
to be honest, its the trucks and the bikes that make the dakar more than the cars. Hino v Kamaz, epic battle.

http://www.hino-global.com/dakar/


Nickyboy

5,253 posts

162 months

Monday 11th December 2017
quotequote all
Raramuri said:
Has anyone ever taken anything of this ilk up Pikes Peak? Obviously it wouldn't be the fastest way up there, but surely a giggle and quite the spectacle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUM-YNHdZWM

Dog Star

8,804 posts

96 months

Tuesday 12th December 2017
quotequote all
MerriDave said:
If you like truck jumping, this never fails to impress me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB02Gd_yC_g&t=...

All new fans, out your hands up....
I love these, they've got Robbie Gordon racing in the series: nuff said.

I wish they'd bring them to the UK.