RE: Senna 'Carbon Theme' for Geneva

RE: Senna 'Carbon Theme' for Geneva

Wednesday 28th February

Senna 'Carbon Theme' for Geneva

The standard Senna is supposed to be the pinnacle. MSO shows its just the tip of the iceberg...



Thought you'd heard the end of McLaren Senna news? Think again. All 500 examples of the 211mph track-focussed hypercar have been sold, but that isn't stopping McLaren from thrusting it into the public eye at every opportunity, and understandably so.

Having been slid around the company's new factory for the press, spied testing on the road more than once, and microscopically analysed by enthusiasts, all that's left to do is drive the thing. Before that, however, it's heading to Geneva, and in some style too.


This, then, is the bespoke Senna 'Carbon Theme' from MSO. Comprising 67 gloss-coated visible carbon fibre parts, it took nearly 1,000 hours to produce - over three times the build-time of a standard Senna.

The Solar Yellow details on the sills, wing and aero blades took 250 hours alone - sounds like someone at Woking was distracted by the winter olympics - and pair with Laurel Green brake calipers and door struts to echo the helmet design of Senna himself. Inside, Carbon Black Alcantara trim is offset by a yellow centre band on the steering wheel and contrast stitching on the seats to complete the look.


The first of the standard cars hasn't even been delivered yet, but already new ultra-lightweight, seven-spoke, hybrid carbon fibre wheels have been developed. Comprised of a carbon fibre rim with forged aluminium spokes, the centre-locking wheels weigh just 7.5kg, 10 per cent less than the standard items, and will soon be available to customers as a dealer-fitted option.

With the RRP of the Senna standing at an eye-watering £750,000, a certain level of attention to detail is to be expected, but the precision craftsmanship and labour intensive luxury of the Carbon Theme still comes at a price. A £300,000 price, to be exact, or the cost of an entire 675LT...


McLaren promises an "additional surprise" at its Geneva press conference on Tuesday morning, it'll have to be something pretty special to top this! Best guesses below...

 

 


 

Author
Discussion

benm143

Original Poster:

3 posts

72 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Confirmation of the existence of Unicorns

Kenny Powers

940 posts

57 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
That is sensational. I’ll go somewhere else on the internet to get some decent pics wink

fatboy69

7,437 posts

117 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
And behold. The ugly duck is now a swan!

That looks sensational.

Nightshade

50 posts

116 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Confused by the subtitle. Isn't the tip of the iceberg also the pinnacle of it?

redroadster

682 posts

162 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
I'd b miffed if I had one on order tbh then this I'd feel like I'd got poverty model lol
Advertisement

Ninja59

1,426 posts

42 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Hmm....in some way I like in others not sure.

I still genuinely think it is fairly fugly though. I would prefer it was not thrust into my eyesight so often though.

ChocolateFrog

3,172 posts

103 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
redroadster said:
I'd b miffed if I had one on order tbh then this I'd feel like I'd got poverty model lol
I think if you've got £750000 to spend you've probably already heard of MSO and are well acquainted with what they do.

ChocolateFrog

3,172 posts

103 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Ninja59 said:
Hmm....in some way I like in others not sure.

I still genuinely think it is fairly fugly though. I would prefer it was not thrust into my eyesight so often though.
It's definitely not a looker. Brutally effective I'm sure but attractive/beautiful/elegant, no way.

Gandahar

5,334 posts

58 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Pigs ear 0, MSO purse 1

I think both are ugly great.

NEED ROAD TESTS to see if it is the real deal. More teasing than the NSX.

My good friend, who works for Kia, said pithily, that this car needs to go "balls deep"

So it was prophersised.

Edited by Gandahar on Wednesday 28th February 14:39

GC1976

16 posts

29 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
I love this car!

Granted it's not the prettiest of cars but that doesn't make it any less desirable. Surely you've got to appreciate it for everything it stands far in terms of engineering achievements and being designed as an out and out racer.

Digger

10,464 posts

121 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
It would have been ace if they had somehow managed to package the wing to make it retractable.

That would be some feat of engineering! I’m not a fan of mahoosive fixed wings, albeit required in this instance no doubt.

unpc

1,909 posts

143 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
I hate exposed carbon (because racecar or whatever) so this is a massive no from me. They have to put so much lacquer on it to look nice it usually ends up weighing more than paint. I'm sure they'll really miss my custom hehe

swisstoni

6,540 posts

209 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Good luck to them.
If i was in charge of a supercar maker I’d knock out trillionaire-bait on a regular basis.
But I’d at least make them look good even if they weren’t so aerodynamic (how will those berks know or care?) so they would at least act like a halo product. This thing doesn’t IMHO.

Resolutionary

672 posts

101 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Super / hyper car maker production runs are formatted thusly:

Produce car
Produce carbon bodied special edition
Repeat ad infinitum

No doubt the carbon fibre worshipers will jizz themselves with giddy anticipation here, but the car remains a dog (albeit a slightly more colourful now and utterly function-over-form dog).

CraigyMc

10,956 posts

166 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Resolutionary said:
Super / hyper car maker production runs are formatted thusly:

Produce car
Produce carbon bodied special edition
Repeat ad infinitum

No doubt the carbon fibre worshipers will jizz themselves with giddy anticipation here, but the car remains a dog (albeit a slightly more colourful now and utterly function-over-form dog).
We get it, you care more about styling than about driving.

Lots of enthusiasts care more about diving than styling.

Gandahar

5,334 posts

58 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
CraigyMc said:
Resolutionary said:
Super / hyper car maker production runs are formatted thusly:

Produce car
Produce carbon bodied special edition
Repeat ad infinitum

No doubt the carbon fibre worshipers will jizz themselves with giddy anticipation here, but the car remains a dog (albeit a slightly more colourful now and utterly function-over-form dog).
We get it, you care more about styling than about driving.

Lots of enthusiasts care more about diving than styling.
Lets not forget the F40 got a cold shoulder before being driven and that was before social media.

Not many people now saying on the F40 "it was pants then and it is still pants in 2018"

The proof of the pudding is yet to be seen.


CraigyMc

10,956 posts

166 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
Gandahar said:
Lets not forget the F40 got a cold shoulder before being driven and that was before social media.

Not many people now saying on the F40 "it was pants then and it is still pants in 2018"

The proof of the pudding is yet to be seen.
The number of people lamenting the turbochargers on the 488's engine who seem to have totally forgotten the existence of the F40 beggars belief.

cookie1600

879 posts

91 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
I see they lost the glass in the lower part of the door. I thought there was a big reason (visibility) for having it on the 'standard' car - has that now been negated then?

Is it just me, or are green calipers a bit too much?

Gandahar

5,334 posts

58 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
CraigyMc said:
Gandahar said:
Lets not forget the F40 got a cold shoulder before being driven and that was before social media.

Not many people now saying on the F40 "it was pants then and it is still pants in 2018"

The proof of the pudding is yet to be seen.
The number of people lamenting the turbochargers on the 488's engine who seem to have totally forgotten the existence of the F40 beggars belief.
Indeed, also the fact it is probably the best turbo install on a modern day super car due to torque management.

I am guessing the next badly named special version will be not too bad.

smile



Edited by Gandahar on Wednesday 28th February 16:03

Digger

10,464 posts

121 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
cookie1600 said:
Is it just me, or are green calipers a bit too much?