RE: Rimac C_Two: Geneva 2018

RE: Rimac C_Two: Geneva 2018

Tuesday 6th March

Rimac C_Two: Geneva 2018

The last EV to herald from Croatia was mind-bogglingly fast. It's replacement uses its stupendousness as jumping off point



Right, let's get some of these numbers out of the way first because generating preposterously large (or astonishingly small) figures is what Rimac Automobili is generally good at. And its second generation of electric hypercar - the nonchalantly titled C_Two - is as good at it as virtually any car ever made.

For a start, there's the power: all 1,914hp of it. That's a lot. The McLaren Senna GTR has 825hp. The Mercedes-AMG Project One will have 1,000hp. The Bugatti Chiron has 1,500hp. Even if we give Rimac some rope here about when precisely each of the C_Two's electric motors (because there are four - one for each wheel) combine to actually output that number in practice, 1,914hp is a staggering number to write down even therotically.

So too is 1,696lb ft of torque. Which we can only assume appears instantaneously. Or, at any rate, promptly enough for the car to spirit itself from no mph to 60mph in 1.85 seconds. Again, even allowing for Rimac's one-foot rollout disclaimer, that's remarkably fast. Half a second quicker than a Chiron. And of course, Croatia's answer to Bugatti suggests that it doesn't stop there: the C_Two beating its W16-powered rival to 186mph by almost two seconds, on to a top speed of 258mph.


Rimac's press release describes the acceleration as 'eye-widening'. Certainly anything 0.7 seconds ahead of a McLaren P1 at the quarter mile marker is doing something right. It's no mean feat either that its maker claims a 1,950kg kerbweight for its latest carbon-fibre organ-compressor - meaning, of course, that it can almost claim 1hp per kilogram, despite heaving around 6,960 cells of a 120kWh lithium maganese nickel battery plus the seven cooling systems and radiators required to chill such a thing.

The manufacturer quotes 650km (around 400 miles) from a single charge. Or at least the NEDC cycle does. So you can knock at least two-thirds off that total in the real world. In fairness to Rimac, it concedes that you'll get two full laps of the Nurburgring at full power with only a negligible drop in performance. So basically a London Marathon at full tilt. That we can believe.


Once empty, the bumf says the C-Two can have its battery back to 80 per cent in 30mins, which is extraordinary given its size. Although the fine print concedes that this is from a outlet dispensing 250kW - another eye-widening number given that it more than doubles the amount of electricity currently trickling from a Tesla Supercharger.

So charging and range not so much - but that doesn't undo the rest of the remarkable things happening here. There's still the small matter of vast 390mm Brembo carbon ceramic brake discs (front and back), four gearboxes (two single-speed at the front; two two-speed at the rear), eight on-board cameras, a lidar, six radar emitters, twelve ultrasonic sensors and an IMU sensor for claimed lever 4 autonomous driver.

Little wonder then that the C_Two produces six gigabytes of data for every hour spent driving and has the processing power equivalent to 22 MacBook Pros. Frankly we'd want 400 sensors and 72 electronic control units overseeing the Rimac All-Wheel Torque Vectoring system which is said to replace traditional ESP and TCS. It is by virtue of this 'infinitely variable' piece of kit that the car can go from 'rear-biased, driftable sportscar to a vehicle that meters traction perfectly on slippery surfaces'.

You'd probably want to see that to really believe it, frankly. And the same could probably be said of the price, which was unknown at the time of writing - although the last one (the Concept One) reputedly didn't give you much change from a million quid. So more than that then.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author
Discussion

Macboy

Original Poster:

295 posts

138 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
Kinda like a rendering of a Mclaren 12C done from memory by someone who has seen one drive past. Instantly forgettable and without any discernible style of its own. The tech may be interesting (or unfinished and flammable - who can say) but it's achingly dull to look at.

a6khu

99 posts

160 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
Good idea - blow them away with sheer speed so they don't notice the absence of the sounds.

They should call it the Sonic!

cmoose

42,398 posts

162 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
Macboy said:
Kinda like a rendering of a Mclaren 12C done from memory by someone who has seen one drive past. Instantly forgettable and without any discernible style of its own. The tech may be interesting (or unfinished and flammable - who can say) but it's achingly dull to look at.
Bit unfair. I think it's a surprisingly professional and polished looking design. Bit generic looking, but then the 12C itself looked like a no-brand supercar in a video game where the developer didn't want to pay for a licence!

God knows you'd be brave to put any money their way. Even Tesla looks dicey, let alone this crew. But I think the thing does at least look convincing.

Brainpox

2,263 posts

84 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
The rear 3/4 and side view look great. Can't wait to see one silently glide past the camera on a YouTube video with a presenter pushing his head right back into the headrest (though admittedly he won't need to exaggerate).

kars

78 posts

102 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
1,950kg kerbweight = muhhahahah laugh electricity has long way to go...
Advertisement

Macboy

Original Poster:

295 posts

138 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
cmoose said:
Bit unfair. I think it's a surprisingly professional and polished looking design. Bit generic looking, but then the 12C itself looked like a no-brand supercar in a video game where the developer didn't want to pay for a licence.
Surely, you're supporting my argument? I didn't say it didn't look polished I said it was bland - as was the 12C - and lacks even the McL brand to add the little design magic the 12C eventually had.

kambites

54,909 posts

154 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
kars said:
1,950kg kerbweight = muhhahahah laugh electricity has long way to go...
Remind me what a Chiron (the obvious ICE competitor) weighs?

ST565NP

178 posts

15 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
cmoose said:
God knows you'd be brave to put any money their way. Even Tesla looks dicey, let alone this crew. But I think the thing does at least look convincing.
Rimac recently had 30 million USD investment from a chinese company that makes batteries. And their main income is not these cars ( which are more a technical show-how than anything else ) . The main income is from selling EV technology to other EV car makers. They also make electric bikes ( see GREYP bikes ).

Macboy

Original Poster:

295 posts

138 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
Rimac recently had 30 million USD investment from a chinese company that makes batteries.
[/quote]

So, the cost of a bumper redesign for a quality-led mainstream manufacturer then?

Krikkit

12,982 posts

114 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
kambites said:
kars said:
1,950kg kerbweight = muhhahahah laugh electricity has long way to go...
Remind me what a Chiron (the obvious ICE competitor) weighs?
Near as makes no difference the same, but it has 20% less power.

ST565NP

178 posts

15 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
ST565NP said:
Rimac recently had 30 million USD investment from a chinese company that makes batteries.
Macboy said:
So, the cost of a bumper redesign for a quality-led mainstream manufacturer then?
Yes, but they desing and produce all by themselfs, they have 2 autoclaves ( " oven" for carbon fibre products ) for making all the components from the smallest to the carbon tub chassis. That is their strenght - possibility of small scale production of highly technological components.

AmosMoses

2,964 posts

98 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
Madness, would love to see this thing launch.

Gary29

1,546 posts

32 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
Would love a go in it just to feel what that kind of torque feels like.

Pretty bland looking and I don't like the wheel design.

Jordan210

1,184 posts

116 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
I like how they have fitted a fire extinguisher with the securing strap saying 'IN CASE OF HILLCLIMB, EXTINGUISH FIRE'

top trolling laugh

Cold

4,980 posts

23 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all


("IN CASE OF HILLCLIMB, EXTINGUISH FIRE" as a nod to Hammond)

snobetter

679 posts

79 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
For someone with better maths skills please: - If I was in this stationary on a road with a car behind driving towards me at 60mph (not braking) how close could I let it get before accelerating away without the cars colliding?

kambites

54,909 posts

154 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
snobetter said:
For someone with better maths skills please: - If I was in this stationary on a road with a car behind driving towards me at 60mph (not braking) how close could I let it get before accelerating away without the cars colliding?
Assuming linear acceleration, about 25 meters. I think.

Edited by kambites on Tuesday 6th March 15:22

snobetter

679 posts

79 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
kambites said:
snobetter said:
For someone with better maths skills please: - If I was in this stationary on a road with a car behind driving towards me at 60mph (not braking) how close could I let it get before accelerating away without the cars colliding?
Assuming linear acceleration, about 25 meters. I think.

Edited by kambites on Tuesday 6th March 15:22
Thanks, would be suitably exciting for all involved.

Macboy

Original Poster:

295 posts

138 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
ST565NP said:
ST565NP said:
Rimac recently had 30 million USD investment from a chinese company that makes batteries.
Macboy said:
So, the cost of a bumper redesign for a quality-led mainstream manufacturer then?
Yes, but they desing and produce all by themselfs, they have 2 autoclaves ( " oven" for carbon fibre products ) for making all the components from the smallest to the carbon tub chassis. That is their strenght - possibility of small scale production of highly technological components.
Yeah - but you're saying they've had $30m like its a lot for any tech company making things. It's not. You can seriously blow through $30m like that if you're serious about making things well (ask Mclaren and Aston) and the investment was in the business not in the sideline of making cars. As another poster said, (I'm paraphrasing) you'd have to be mad to give them money for one of these. Certifiably insane IMO.

ST565NP

178 posts

15 months

Tuesday 6th March
quotequote all
They said that 30 of 150 new cars are already sold, so there are enough wealthy people who have 1,7 mil € each to spend on a car like this.