RE: Farewell to the 991.2: Pic of the Week

RE: Farewell to the 991.2: Pic of the Week

Sunday 25th November 2018

Farewell to the 991.2: Pic of the Week

The end is nigh for Stuttgart's current 911. We doff our desktop caps to the 991...



As you may have seen in our LA Auto Show guide, the 992 Porsche 911 is just days away from reveal. Of course, this means production of the 991-generation is about to end, so, through misty eyes, we've trawled through our server to find an image that gives this departing model a proper send-off.

What better variant to choose than the 991.2 GT3? It was Stuttgart's track-focused machine which got the scintillating 4.0-litre flat six, after all, the one that comes alive after 6,000rpm and doesn't stop singing until 9,000rpm. The GT3 is a full 200hp down on the GT2 RS that came after it, but the sheer reach of its powerband makes the atmospheric motor all the more memorable.

The car itself, although no featherweight compared to air-cooled 911s of yesteryear (as purists like to remind us), feels alive and light on its toes. It possesses a delicious balance that gives its driver options when at the limit of grip, but it also always demands respect. Without the torque of forced induction to lean on and the requirement to stir a gear lever (the one Porsche made us wait for), it makes this the most 911 911. The purest driver's car of the range.

In a decade or so, when the 992's replacement arrives laden with turbochargers, hybrid electric motors and - God forbid - synthesised flat six noises, we'll look back on today's GT3 and remember how good we once had it. So as it and fellow 991 variants bow out, we offer it this final desktop background testimonial.

16:10
16:9
Quad HD
4K

Author
Discussion

Paracetamol

Original Poster:

4,007 posts

182 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
I am very lucky to have secured the very last factory order for a GT3 touring...arrives in February and something I hope to own for the rest of my days..

C.MW

21 posts

7 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
It feels like yesterday when the 991 911 was launched... I really cannot believe that long has passed since its launch. The 991 was often bashed for not having the most tactile steering wheel, being too refined, too big etc but I know in 10 years time when electrification dominates all categories of cars even this version of 911 will be remembered as one of the purest cars for us enthusiasts. Sad days.

IMI A

6,417 posts

139 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
Paracetamol said:
I am very lucky to have secured the very last factory order for a GT3 touring...arrives in February and something I hope to own for the rest of my days..
lol the amount of people that come on here and say that then flip the f--- out of them. Sure you won't but you should have heard some of the nonsense from members on here when 911 R was being launched. Most of them all stuck them up for sale the minute the GT3 was announced smile

If 992 GT3 is normally aspirated can't wait to see how many lifers keep their 991 GT3s. Glut of 991.2 GT3s/Tourings in the classifieds in 12/24 months below list? whistle

Nerdherder

437 posts

35 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
Paracetamol said:
I am very lucky to have secured the very last factory order for a GT3 touring...arrives in February and something I hope to own for the rest of my days..
Lucky you.

sr.guiri

261 posts

27 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
Isn't GT3 touring a bit of a contradiction?

GT3 to me represents stripped, light weight (in comparison) race spec. for the road. "Touring" represents exactly that - cruising at moderate speeds, car loaded up with tents and camping stoves biggrin

Anyway, slightly envious of you having a new Porka arriving in Feb, even if the name does confuse me.

Enjoy!!


Advertisement

E65Ross

21,859 posts

150 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
Article says "as the purists like to remind us", then goes on to say that in the future we'll look back and remember how good we had it.... irony hehe

swisstoni

7,370 posts

217 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
Shall we have a minute’s silence or something?

Paracetamol

Original Poster:

4,007 posts

182 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
IMI A said:
lol the amount of people that come on here and say that then flip the f--- out of them. Sure you won't but you should have heard some of the nonsense from members on here when 911 R was being launched. Most of them all stuck them up for sale the minute the GT3 was announced smile

If 992 GT3 is normally aspirated can't wait to see how many lifers keep their 991 GT3s. Glut of 991.2 GT3s/Tourings in the classifieds in 12/24 months below list? whistle
It was a big discussion with the salesman..ultimately the next one may or may not be normally aspirated and manual he said..but you know this one is... he caught me hook line and sinker. I would of course consider swapping it if the next one is better..but as with my 458..thank God I didn't wait for the 488

RDMcG

12,899 posts

145 months

Sunday 25th November 2018
quotequote all
Every Porsche model change is the end of en era, and people express their opinions as to why it was great.....

Apart from the sacred aircooled era, we had the end of the 996, when the RS was the perfect track car, the end of the 997 and the last Mezger engine (several lasts here), the 911R ( last manual car...but it was not) and now the end of the 991 when the inevitable views of the softer, bigger, less involving, more tech laden, less pure, more poser characteristics of the 992 will show up.

I have been through a number of these eras with Porsches ( and a similar experience with BMWs),and I am always happy to see a new car. I have put myself on the list for a soft, lees pure, uglier and huge 992RS to add to my garage where is can sit with progressively better cars that are better the earlier the model.

It is astonishing to me how Porsche has always made much worse cars every model change, and makes me think that I need a Gmund 356 so as to achieve the ultimate perfection of Porsche ownership.

IMI A

6,417 posts

139 months

Monday 26th November 2018
quotequote all
Paracetamol said:
IMI A said:
lol the amount of people that come on here and say that then flip the f--- out of them. Sure you won't but you should have heard some of the nonsense from members on here when 911 R was being launched. Most of them all stuck them up for sale the minute the GT3 was announced smile

If 992 GT3 is normally aspirated can't wait to see how many lifers keep their 991 GT3s. Glut of 991.2 GT3s/Tourings in the classifieds in 12/24 months below list? whistle
It was a big discussion with the salesman..ultimately the next one may or may not be normally aspirated and manual he said..but you know this one is... he caught me hook line and sinker. I would of course consider swapping it if the next one is better..but as with my 458..thank God I didn't wait for the 488
Just had a look at Porsche UK website. Extraordinary amount of manual GT3s for sale and even a few Tourings. Have you driven one yet? If so what did you think? Friend just looked at new manual GT3, F12 and a del miles 458 GTB. He bought the 458 after driving all three!

E65Ross

21,859 posts

150 months

Monday 26th November 2018
quotequote all
IMI A said:
Just had a look at Porsche UK website. Extraordinary amount of manual GT3s for sale and even a few Tourings. Have you driven one yet? If so what did you think? Friend just looked at new manual GT3, F12 and a del miles 458 GTB. He bought the 458 after driving all three!
488 GTB, I assume you mean?

IMI A

6,417 posts

139 months

Monday 26th November 2018
quotequote all
E65Ross said:
IMI A said:
Just had a look at Porsche UK website. Extraordinary amount of manual GT3s for sale and even a few Tourings. Have you driven one yet? If so what did you think? Friend just looked at new manual GT3, F12 and a del miles 458 GTB. He bought the 458 after driving all three!
488 GTB, I assume you mean?
Nope 458! I can understand why too with that wonderful V8. What surprised me is I never thought he'd give up a manual.

E65Ross

21,859 posts

150 months

Monday 26th November 2018
quotequote all
IMI A said:
E65Ross said:
IMI A said:
Just had a look at Porsche UK website. Extraordinary amount of manual GT3s for sale and even a few Tourings. Have you driven one yet? If so what did you think? Friend just looked at new manual GT3, F12 and a del miles 458 GTB. He bought the 458 after driving all three!
488 GTB, I assume you mean?
Nope 458! I can understand why too with that wonderful V8. What surprised me is I never thought he'd give up a manual.
I may be wrong, but I didn't think they made a 458 GTB?

av185

7,614 posts

65 months

Monday 26th November 2018
quotequote all
IMI A said:
If 992 GT3 is normally aspirated can't wait to see how many lifers keep their 991 GT3s. Glut of 991.2 GT3s/Tourings in the classifieds in 12/24 months below list? whistle
Won't happen.

Even if 992 is NA.

Why?

Good spec 991.1 GT3s still retailing over list even at 4+ years old and despite the fact that the 991.2 is a far better package especially with that incredible engine and a 'manuel' gearbox.

Paracetamol

Original Poster:

4,007 posts

182 months

Tuesday 27th November 2018
quotequote all
IMI A said:
Just had a look at Porsche UK website. Extraordinary amount of manual GT3s for sale and even a few Tourings. Have you driven one yet? If so what did you think? Friend just looked at new manual GT3, F12 and a del miles 458 GTB. He bought the 458 after driving all three!
lucky I will have both..the 458 Italia is truly wonderful..I did consider upgrading it to the Speciale but realised I could buy the 991 for the same money..F12 is great too but never quite floated my boat.

IMI A

6,417 posts

139 months

Tuesday 27th November 2018
quotequote all
E65Ross said:
IMI A said:
E65Ross said:
IMI A said:
Just had a look at Porsche UK website. Extraordinary amount of manual GT3s for sale and even a few Tourings. Have you driven one yet? If so what did you think? Friend just looked at new manual GT3, F12 and a del miles 458 GTB. He bought the 458 after driving all three!
488 GTB, I assume you mean?
Nope 458! I can understand why too with that wonderful V8. What surprised me is I never thought he'd give up a manual.
I may be wrong, but I didn't think they made a 458 GTB?

Italia...

IMI A

6,417 posts

139 months

Tuesday 27th November 2018
quotequote all
av185 said:
IMI A said:
If 992 GT3 is normally aspirated can't wait to see how many lifers keep their 991 GT3s. Glut of 991.2 GT3s/Tourings in the classifieds in 12/24 months below list? whistle
Won't happen.

Even if 992 is NA.

Why?

Good spec 991.1 GT3s still retailing over list even at 4+ years old and despite the fact that the 991.2 is a far better package especially with that incredible engine and a 'manuel' gearbox.
I think you need to have a look at the official Porsche UK site. For such a limited production car I've never seen so many manual GT3s for sale inc a few Tourings. Its already happening.

IMI A

6,417 posts

139 months

Tuesday 27th November 2018
quotequote all
Paracetamol said:
IMI A said:
Just had a look at Porsche UK website. Extraordinary amount of manual GT3s for sale and even a few Tourings. Have you driven one yet? If so what did you think? Friend just looked at new manual GT3, F12 and a del miles 458 GTB. He bought the 458 after driving all three!
lucky I will have both..the 458 Italia is truly wonderful..I did consider upgrading it to the Speciale but realised I could buy the 991 for the same money..F12 is great too but never quite floated my boat.
Perfect! At what money would you maybe jump into a Speciale? Are there many mechanical differences between Italia and Speciale's drive train?

thumbup

Juno

2,813 posts

187 months

Tuesday 27th November 2018
quotequote all
Paracetamol said:
I am very lucky to have secured the very last factory order for a GT3 touring...arrives in February and something I hope to own for the rest of my days..
Where the fk do you live then ???

E65Ross

21,859 posts

150 months

Tuesday 27th November 2018
quotequote all
IMI A said:
E65Ross said:
IMI A said:
E65Ross said:
IMI A said:
Just had a look at Porsche UK website. Extraordinary amount of manual GT3s for sale and even a few Tourings. Have you driven one yet? If so what did you think? Friend just looked at new manual GT3, F12 and a del miles 458 GTB. He bought the 458 after driving all three!
488 GTB, I assume you mean?
Nope 458! I can understand why too with that wonderful V8. What surprised me is I never thought he'd give up a manual.
I may be wrong, but I didn't think they made a 458 GTB?

Italia...
Yes, but 458 Italia isn't "458 GTB" is it? hehe