RE: Lexus RC F Track Edition confirmed...

RE: Lexus RC F Track Edition confirmed...

Wednesday 9th January

Lexus RC F Track Edition on video

We're five days from the full reveal; time for the teaser vid!



UPDATE 09/01/2019:
Lexus really is playing its cards close around this RC F Track Edition; the car is set to make its debut at next week's Detroit show, and yet all we know about it thus far is that it will have a spoiler. Oh yes, and thanks to today's video, we know that it'll have a V8 engine. Great news.

Despite the ongoing tease and frustrating lack of info, the car still warrants some considerable attention for PHey types. After all, this should be a track focused, harder, faster version of a very likeable V8 sports coupe. In a market dominated by Germans, the Lexus interloper - despite its problems - has always been welcome. Let's hope the Track Edition can add to the appeal in due course; it will be revealed on January 14th. All of it, hopefully.

 



ORIGINAL STORY, AS REPORTED 07/12/2018:
Ah, Lexus - never content to follow the crowd, are they? Sometimes that strategy is phenomenal - see the LFA - sometimes it's surprisingly very good indeed - see the GS F - and sometimes it just can't quite match the class best - see the RC F.

Of course, in isolation, the V8 RC is quite a likeable car. It has its quirks (alright then, flaws), but it remains a front-engined, rear drive V8 coupe with good balance and a stonking engine. Its problem was just being a bit of a porker: at 1,800kg it was 200kg heavier than an M4, which can never fully be escaped regardless of how much clever diff tech you throw at the issue. But now Lexus appears to have a solution...


This grainy teaser image confirms that the RC F Track Edition will make its debut at the Detroit show in January - jolly good. This is a car that's already been spotted testing with the same spoiler as seen here and, most excitingly, was potentially previewed by the GT Concept shown at the Festival of Speed in 2016. That car was a whopping 360kg lighter than standard, which would take kerbweight down to less than 1,500kg - even an M4 GTS is 1,510kg.

Now, whether the production version employs such a drastic weight loss strategy remains to be seen, but if it can incorporate a diet with some of that car's motorsport influence - the adjustable suspension, performance exhaust and so on - then we could be in for an absolutely cracking car. All will be revealed next month!

 


Author
Discussion

redroadster

Original Poster:

817 posts

169 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
I hope they do diet it down ,I think it looks great and and alternative to German stuff .

Love JDM

39 posts

93 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
Yeah if it will be dieted down by the 360kg that they did on the prototype that would be amazing.

Not sure how they'd do that without stripping it of anything in the back or even parts of the dash and creature comforts.

Will be interesting to see!

Stirflow

1 posts

54 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
RCF was such a disappointment for me, kept waiting for the engine power from that V8 to kick in... alsa it was like they'd put a restrictor on the engine.

Love JDM

39 posts

93 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
Stirflow said:
RCF was such a disappointment for me, kept waiting for the engine power from that V8 to kick in... alsa it was like they'd put a restrictor on the engine.
You must be used to a Nissan GTR or Porsche 911 Turbo or something because when I drove one. It was bloody fast. Just didn't feel light and nimble.

cib24

678 posts

90 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
I am going to guess they won't get 360kg out of it but perhaps up to 100kg out of the final product for sale.

Does anyone know how Lexus weighs their cars compared to BMW? Does BMW use dry weights and Lexus "wet" weights with all of the fluids added in?
Advertisement

BIRMA

2,430 posts

131 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
Great, it'll cater for those who like a harder edged car. I've recently bought a late RCF with the AVS and TDF it's a really great road car I love it.
For me if you want to go on track go buy a Caterham or Elise.

ZX10R NIN

12,673 posts

62 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
I wonder if they'll use this to introduce their new twin turbo 4.0 V8.

chunder

619 posts

183 months

Saturday 8th December 2018
quotequote all
Stirflow said:
RCF was such a disappointment for me, kept waiting for the engine power from that V8 to kick in... alsa it was like they'd put a restrictor on the engine.
In a way they did, free up the intake and exhaust and the 2UR GSE will flow over 500hp no problem, hopefully the track edition does that as the aftermarkets have for years,

Goofnik

204 posts

77 months

Saturday 8th December 2018
quotequote all
cib24 said:
I am going to guess they won't get 360kg out of it but perhaps up to 100kg out of the final product for sale.

Does anyone know how Lexus weighs their cars compared to BMW? Does BMW use dry weights and Lexus "wet" weights with all of the fluids added in?
Lexus is curb/kerb weight, which is full fluids (worst case is 3/4 fuel instead of full )

ZX10R NIN

12,673 posts

62 months

Saturday 8th December 2018
quotequote all
I've driven a few of these & I wouldn't say they're lacking in grunt, a bit like the RS4 you have to work the engine to get the best from it, it's weight is a factor as is the fact it's torque is high up the rev range all of this means on an initial drive they can come across as lacking but delve deeper & you'll find a car with character.

You soon learn to drive it as intended.

BIRMA

2,430 posts

131 months

Sunday 9th December 2018
quotequote all
ZX10R NIN said:
I've driven a few of these & I wouldn't say they're lacking in grunt, a bit like the RS4 you have to work the engine to get the best from it, it's weight is a factor as is the fact it's torque is high up the rev range all of this means on an initial drive they can come across as lacking but delve deeper & you'll find a car with character.

You soon learn to drive it as intended.
Spot on. I came from a twin turbo V12 AMG with over 600 BHP and the acceleration on it was ludicrous to quote Evo Magazine. But you felt a bit detached as to what was going on despite it being a very accomplished car. Getting in an RCF after this was interesting, you do have to work the car which I like rather than the instant torque of a turbo car but revving through the gear range is part of the pleasure.
Once you've had the car a while you can drive sensibly and smoothly but then stick it in Sports S+ and use the paddle shifts and it's a different car.
Okay it's heavy but on todays roads it is more than capable of instantly losing your licence plus there is the legendary reliability and very, very cheap servicing for what is a fairly complex car.

Edited by BIRMA on Sunday 9th December 14:14


Edited by BIRMA on Sunday 9th December 14:14

Trevor555

810 posts

21 months

Sunday 9th December 2018
quotequote all
Just sold mine.

Last two posts are spot on.

I was disappointed at first with the "wait for the power" but learnt to adapt.

I wish the car had sounded better at lower revs. Made a nice noise on start up, but settled into a quiet one after that. Until 4.5k revs of course, but some of that noise is artificial isn't it?

Looked into aftermarket exhausts but they were too loud. Didn't fancy paying over 4k for a valved one.

What to buy next?

No idea at the mo.

ZX10R NIN

12,673 posts

62 months

Sunday 9th December 2018
quotequote all
I've found fitting an adds just the right amount of noise on the RC-F, the full systems are superb more Brabus sounding but I can understand why they may be to loud for some the valved systems solve this issue.


BIRMA

2,430 posts

131 months

Sunday 9th December 2018
quotequote all
ZX10R NIN said:
I've found fitting an adds just the right amount of noise on the RC-F, the full systems are superb more Brabus sounding but I can understand why they may be to loud for some the valved systems solve this issue.
By all accounts Lexus at Cheltenham fit the Quicksilver system, I've seen and heard this on a car and it sounds good and by all accounts it's Lexus approved.Plus the black carbon fibre finish on the the pipes really suits the black rear apron.

okenemem

231 posts

131 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
yuck

Love JDM

39 posts

93 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
okenemem said:
yuck
Yeah, and I take it you probably drive a 10 year old Audi A4 diesel!

Reark

47 posts

25 months

Thursday 10th January
quotequote all
ZX10R NIN said:
I wonder if they'll use this to introduce their new twin turbo 4.0 V8.
Is this actually happening? Shame if it is, big usp of the Lexus performance cars is the n/a V8s.... suppose it was going to happen at some point.

ZX10R NIN

12,673 posts

62 months

Thursday 10th January
quotequote all
Reark said:
ZX10R NIN said:
I wonder if they'll use this to introduce their new twin turbo 4.0 V8.
Is this actually happening? Shame if it is, big usp of the Lexus performance cars is the n/a V8s.... suppose it was going to happen at some point.
Yes it's already been developed & was earmarked to go in the LC500 first so this RC F will either be the introduction of the engine or a final swan song for the N/A engine.

Trevor555

810 posts

21 months

Thursday 10th January
quotequote all
ZX10R NIN said:
Yes it's already been developed & was earmarked to go in the LC500 first so this RC F will either be the introduction of the engine or a final swan song for the N/A engine.
The last of a dying breed V8

I wonder how long before the Mustangs lose the V8?

A mustang without a throbbing V8 is not a Mustang in my eyes.