RE: Peugeot 205 Rallye: Spotted

RE: Peugeot 205 Rallye: Spotted

Thursday 20th December 2018

Peugeot 205 Rallye: Spotted

You could spend lots of money on a GTI, or you could spend lots of money on something even more special...



There are certain traits that tend to make cars more exciting to UK enthusiasts. One of those is that of the homologation special, those cars produced for the sole purpose of fulfilling motorsport competition regulations. Because, well, everybody loves a racing car - especially a successful one - and so if there's a road car available with a tangible link to one then we're going to be interested.

The second trait likely to get fast car fans in Britain all giddy is being left-hand drive only. Yes, it's impractical, but to us it tends to look exotic; forbidden fruit on four wheels that we probably shouldn't have, yet are very glad that we do. Think BMW E30 M3, Lancia Delta Integrale, Ford GT and so on.


Now, while the European 205 Rallye doesn't quite conform to those rules - because it was never officially offered in the UK - the opportunity to buy one over here is too good an opportunity to pass up. It was only ever left-hand drive, it was built specifically for 1,300cc rallying and, if anything, its stellar reputation was only ever helped by the limp right-hand drive equivalent offered in the UK.

Come to think of it, that XR drag queen of a Rallye was about as bad as the breed ever got - the rest were all superb. Both the 106s and the solitary 306 version were fantastic cars, lighter and even wilder than their GTI brethren, and there's an argument to say this little 205 conforms to that belief as well. So much of the 205 GTI legend is in its immediacy and flighty agility, yet here is a car that's 100kg lighter than a 1.6. The Rallye's kerb weight is 794kg; the lightest dry weight of an Elise Cup 250 is 860kg. Furthermore, while both GTIs use fuel injected engines, the Rallye has the old school, boisterous charm of twin Weber carbs. Power is very close to the 1.6 GTI at 103hp, it so will feel comfortably quicker with the substantial weight loss.


The Rallye's reputation amongst a select few, plus the obvious rarity of being import-only, and the appreciation of GTIs, means they're worth a pretty penny. Especially good ones like this, recently brought over from Spain and with just 38,000 miles recorded. Work undertaken and mentioned in the ad includes new tyres, filters, oil and plugs, as well as a respray six years ago and a reupholstered interior. While it would be hoped that all Rallyes that have made it this far have been reasonably well looked after, this must be one of the best.

Need further convincing? We spoke to a former Rallye owner (who now has an Integra Type R - nice work Nick) who described it as "special" - no surprise there - saying it has the sense "of driving something with a purpose, even when you just pop to the shops". Naturally the twin carb set up came in for praise (even if setting them up can be tricky), as well as Peugeot's recent recognition of the 205 as a classic making parts easier to come by. So while words like "brittle", "thin" and "niche" are also used around the car, the Rallye certainly ticks a lot of boxes for those sufficiently committed.


Which is all rather skirting around the subject somewhat: it's Β£17,995. For those who can remember not being able to give away 205 GTIs, that figure will be astonishing. But it's really a reflection of how the market stands; this automatic CTI with more miles than the Rallye is on sale at Β£15k...

So although it's a lot of money for not a lot of car, the 205 Rallye must surely be one of the best examples of how exciting these cars from the past now seem. Stripped out road racers never seem to sell well new because of how uncompromising they are - see the Megane R26.R, M3 CSL and Series 1 106 Rallye - yet become revered in time when buyers realise such cars won't happen again. The 205 Rallye is one of the rawest and most intense there was, so don't be surprised to find it even more in demand as time passes.


SPECIFICATION - PEUGEOT 205 RALLYE

Engine: 1,294cc, four-cyl
Transmission: 5-speed manual, front-wheel drive
Power (hp): 103@6,800rpm
Torque (lb ft): 89@5,000rpm
MPG: N/A
CO2: N/A
First registered: 1990
Recorded mileage: 38,000
Price new: N/A
Yours for: Β£17,995

See the original advert here.

Β 

Β 

Β 




Author
Discussion

JP.Racing

Original Poster:

40 posts

15 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Stupid money and the steering wheel is on the wrong side... But still very cool!

Tickle

3,425 posts

152 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Harris did quite a nice video of one of these and a 991 R. Very cool little car, got a soft spot for all of the Pug Rallyes

SidewaysSi

6,105 posts

182 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
I think you get two cars for £18k. And he is selling on behalf of a friend. Of course.

And I do hate it when dealers (even more private individuals) feel the need to copy and paste the history of the model.

The market is coming down at the moment so this is silly money in the current climate.

CS Garth

2,102 posts

53 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
One for the crack enthusiast market

GrandAndrew

710 posts

98 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Think there's a separate price for the second car. 'The other (not shown here) is an earlier Phase 1 with 72,000 km and excellent all round but not as mint as the phase 2 and so cheaper.'

I can't say I'd want one over a GTi but I'd like to have one tucked up for the occasional blast.

Krikkit

16,788 posts

129 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Excitable pricing, but the Euro 205 Rallye really is a phenomenal car. The twin webbers at full chat cloud9

Gio G

2,233 posts

157 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
I wonder how these fair against the 106 Rallye. As that for me was more appealing..

G

Jon_S_Rally

666 posts

36 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
The ultimate 205. Would take one of these over a GTI any day of the week.

Strong money, but low mileage and rare, so someone might pay it. Regardless, it's cool as anything.

BugLebowski

755 posts

64 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
I'd love to know how they manage to shave 100kg off the 1.6 Gti considering that it's hardly a bloated beast to begin with. Anyone got a list of weight savings they made?

Nimerino

199 posts

61 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Interesting that the price is considered high. UK 205 prices are generally lower than on the Continent with the exception of a few outlier countries like Sweden, and even there prices are shooting up. Rallyes are consistently the most coveted 205 variants, partly for the significantly lower production numbers and partly for the fact that so few have survived in good nick; lots and lots were genuinely used as rally cars.

I have one of these, a mint phase 1 with 40 000 km and no resprays. I’ve been offered twice the asking price of this car. It’s hard to explain, since it has such humble beginnings, but this is easily one of the greatest cars I’ve ever driven; it makes even something like the R26.R feel aloof by comparison.

Nimerino

199 posts

61 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
BugLebowski said:
I'd love to know how they manage to shave 100kg off the 1.6 Gti considering that it's hardly a bloated beast to begin with. Anyone got a list of weight savings they made?
Lighter engine, less sound deadening, less carpeting, lighter wheels, lighter seats (with lighter fabric), no power anything, stereo and all associated electronics and cabling removed, rear wiper and motor removed, cladding inside rear boot lid removed.

Literally everything that could be removed (save the rear seat) was removed and everything that couldn’t was replaced with lighter alternatives. I don’t know if the actual differential to the 1.6 is 100kg, I thought it was closer to 70. But still.

Oliver-2optb

28 posts

50 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Makes the gti seem fat at 950kg.
Would love one of these, but insane prices as one of the other posters has said. The weakening of the pound over the last 5 years makes the continental prices look artificially high. These are aplenty on the continent, easy enough with some careful planning to go and fetch one from over there, as there are still some for less than 10K.

I have considered doing the very same, but you still have the issue of left hand drive, and also with that kind of value, would you really want to drive it? it would be a car to go in the garage and not see much action.
The principal of a 795kg 205 with a small capacity, light alloy block engine and masterful handing is achievable through other 205 models as a base and then working towards the Rallye set up as a goal, for a lot less money and much more enjoyment.


J4CKO

28,617 posts

148 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
That is very appealing, though at 15 grand out of reach for a lot of people who would fancy one, there is one on ebay for seven grand though.

I suspect, and correct me if I am wrong, it would be fairly simple to create something comparable (or better) to your own spec for less if you want a similar back to basics experience ?

I know it wouldn't be an official one but it could still be pretty fantastic, can still get a serviceable 3 door (not GTI) for not a lot.

TheAlastair34

217 posts

76 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
J4CKO said:
That is very appealing, though at 15 grand out of reach for a lot of people who would fancy one, there is one on ebay for seven grand though.

I suspect, and correct me if I am wrong, it would be fairly simple to create something comparable (or better) to your own spec for less if you want a similar back to basics experience ?

I know it wouldn't be an official one but it could still be pretty fantastic, can still get a serviceable 3 door (not GTI) for not a lot.
If its RHD the ebay on its a uk car and nothing like the EU rallye its just a paint job and stickers with a poor engine

Sammy1970

2 posts

116 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
My first car in 1988😍

s m

18,253 posts

151 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
TheAlastair34 said:
If its RHD the ebay on its a uk car and nothing like the EU rallye its just a paint job and stickers with a poor engine
Or you could have the even rarer German 1.9 version




https://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/peugeot-205-1-9-r...

Like the rhd version, Not as hardcore as the twin carb but a low poke 1.9 engine

Krikkit

16,788 posts

129 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
TheAlastair34 said:
J4CKO said:
That is very appealing, though at 15 grand out of reach for a lot of people who would fancy one, there is one on ebay for seven grand though.

I suspect, and correct me if I am wrong, it would be fairly simple to create something comparable (or better) to your own spec for less if you want a similar back to basics experience ?

I know it wouldn't be an official one but it could still be pretty fantastic, can still get a serviceable 3 door (not GTI) for not a lot.
If its RHD the ebay on its a uk car and nothing like the EU rallye its just a paint job and stickers with a poor engine
No, but there's plenty of revvy engines from other Peugeots of this era you could transplant instead of the asthmatic crap we got.

The TU2J2 from the S1 106 Rallye would make a good combo, or a 1.6 GTI engine with a pair of twin carbs.

bozzy.

226 posts

26 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
I’m going to go against the grain a little bit here; but to me that’s just a crap old car with red carpets and wheels that look like they’ve come from a scrapyard.

Seriously, you could buy this 106 Quiksilver, strip it out, add shouty bits along with some coil overs and I bet it wouldn’t feel a million miles away from that 205 and it would stand you at about 1/5th the price.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...

Now, I know someone is going to come along and say “No no no, that’s nonesense because the 205 is a homologation special, there were only a handful produced by Peugeot’s finest blah blah blah” and to that I say bull. If you think £17,995 is worth it for that POS then out your money where your mouth is!

s m

18,253 posts

151 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
TheAlastair34 said:
J4CKO said:
That is very appealing, though at 15 grand out of reach for a lot of people who would fancy one, there is one on ebay for seven grand though.

I suspect, and correct me if I am wrong, it would be fairly simple to create something comparable (or better) to your own spec for less if you want a similar back to basics experience ?

I know it wouldn't be an official one but it could still be pretty fantastic, can still get a serviceable 3 door (not GTI) for not a lot.
If its RHD the ebay on its a uk car and nothing like the EU rallye its just a paint job and stickers with a poor engine
No, but there's plenty of revvy engines from other Peugeots of this era you could transplant instead of the asthmatic crap we got.

The TU2J2 from the S1 106 Rallye would make a good combo, or a 1.6 GTI engine with a pair of twin carbs.
For £3k and just get in and drive around as a fairweather car this 106Gti seems a lot less hassle and good value for money if your finances don't stretch to an homologation special


https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/peugeot-106-gti/...

sjabrown

1,330 posts

108 months

Thursday 20th December 2018
quotequote all
Prices seem to have gone daft! Lovely car, but crazy price.