RE: McLaren sales up 43 per cent

RE: McLaren sales up 43 per cent

Monday 7th January

McLaren sales up 43 per cent

570S Spider and a full year of 720S see McLaren sales approach 5,000



The good news continues out of Woking! Fresh from the 600LT's array of awards at the end of last year, 2019 has begun for McLaren with confirmation of record sales over the past 12 months.

In total 4,806 McLarens were sold in 2018, up 43.9 per cent over 2017's 3,340. For some sense of perspective, the 2015 figure was just 1,650. The biggest increase over the past 12 months has been in China, with a 122.5% jump in sales. Europe was up 44.2 per cent, the UK 49.2 per cent and North America - where more than a third of McLarens are sold - "achieved another year of record growth". Funnily every year since the formation of McLaren Automotive has been a record sales year, a pattern that must soon relent. Mustn't it?


With the Speedtail and 720S Spider, the first cars launched under McLaren's Track25 programme where 18 new models will be released by 2025, the aim is for 6,000 sales a year to be achieved by the middle of the next decade. For reference, Ferrari sold 8,398 cars in 2017 - 2018 figures aren't yet available.

"We believe we're well-placed in 2019 with a global market spread and diverse product portfolio. Our optimism is buoyed by the fact that we already have strong order banks into this year and exciting product lined up," said McLaren CEO Mike Flewitt. This year will see the race debut of the 720S GT3, plus you would have to imagine a 600LT Spider and further 720S derivatives. Nothing ever stays still for long at the McLaren Production Centre. Or the new McLaren Composites Technology Centre, for that matter.


The good news continues, in fact, for those after a secondhand McLaren, with these record new sales meaning the used market is kept well stocked. There are now 10 12Cs at less than £100k on PH, more than 140 570s available and 675s on offer in almost any spec imaginable. Supercar buyers have never had it so good...

Author
Discussion

Over over under steer

Original Poster:

309 posts

60 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Wow, looks like they're really 'burning it up'.

Senna bonfire displays aside, I think their product lineup looks great, and I'd put them on the list of supercar manufacturers I'd like to own a car from. I just keep hearing about reliability issues which are a tad scary.

Porsche911R

16,020 posts

202 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
I thought they were going to cap sales at 5k PA.

So not sure about them wanting to make 6k cars or more as they wanted to be exclusive.
and when they say 18 new models, is any thing moved forward really ?

18 new models based on the 12C :-) as they are all the same tub and all have the same engine layout and size as the 12c ! give or take a few tweaks lol

The cars are so dull imo. 12c mk 26 !!

12c vs the lastest 600lt, the cars are the same specs and the same performance to a tee even lap times from the 2004 12c are give or take the same.

seems they are a bit stuck and cannot really do much else bar body designs.

Edited by Porsche911R on Monday 7th January 15:33

Shakermaker

7,755 posts

37 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Comapny that builds more cars than it did 4 years ago is now able to sell more cars?

It's good news but it isn't as if they were doing "badly" 4 years ago, is it?

Helicopter123

4,887 posts

93 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
From memory Ferrari sell c. 8,400 cars a year, and Lambo c. 4,000 (pre the SUV) so clearly the supercar market is doing very well.

How much production can the market sustain over a cycle?


BVB

559 posts

90 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all

This article fails to mention that Ferrari sales are restricted to maintain exclusivity. They could sell quadruple the amount otherwise.
But well done Mclaren all the same.
Advertisement

Vee12V

754 posts

97 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Maybe it'll allow them to focus on build quality. Was shown around a friend's 720S last year and it was absolutely dreadful. Uneven panel gaps, rusty suspension bits (even though the car didn't have that many miles on it), a wonky installed third brake light, etc.

Unacceptable on a 20k hatchback, let alone a 300k supercar.

Frimley111R

9,243 posts

171 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
BVB said:
This article fails to mention that Ferrari sales are restricted to maintain exclusivity. They could sell quadruple the amount otherwise.
But well done Mclaren all the same.
IIRC they've gone over the restrictions before though....

With an SUV you can bet they'll go well over it.

Frimley111R

9,243 posts

171 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
So not sure about them wanting to make 6k cars or more as they wanted to be exclusive.

Edited by Porsche911R on Monday 7th January 15:33
6,000 globally is pretty exclusive in a global market, even double or triple that is.



scenario8

5,120 posts

116 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Posting mostly to counter the expected negativity this thread will likely suffer (as witnessed in (probably) all previous McLaren threads).

Thanks for conceiving and producing high value manufactured goods, generating income to re-invest, supporting thousands of jobs and contributing significant sums to the nation’s coffers.

Sorry to all those who feel the need to get grumpy because of something or other McLaren related.

Maldini35

1,897 posts

125 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
I thought they were going to cap sales at 5k PA.

So not sure about them wanting to make 6k cars or more as they wanted to be exclusive.
and when they say 18 new models, is any thing moved forward really ?

18 new models based on the 12C :-) as they are all the same tub and all have the same engine layout and size as the 12c ! give or take a few tweaks lol

The cars are so dull imo. 12c mk 26 !!

12c vs the lastest 600lt, the cars are the same specs and the same performance to a tee even lap times from the 2004 12c are give or take the same.

seems they are a bit stuck and cannot really do much else bar body designs.

Edited by Porsche911R on Monday 7th January 15:33
This from somebody called Porsche911R?
The irony is strong. biggrin






Matty3

90 posts

21 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Maldini35 said:
Porsche911R said:
I thought they were going to cap sales at 5k PA.

So not sure about them wanting to make 6k cars or more as they wanted to be exclusive.
and when they say 18 new models, is any thing moved forward really ?

18 new models based on the 12C :-) as they are all the same tub and all have the same engine layout and size as the 12c ! give or take a few tweaks lol

The cars are so dull imo. 12c mk 26 !!

12c vs the lastest 600lt, the cars are the same specs and the same performance to a tee even lap times from the 2004 12c are give or take the same.

seems they are a bit stuck and cannot really do much else bar body designs.

Edited by Porsche911R on Monday 7th January 15:33
This from somebody called Porsche911R?

The irony is strong. biggrin
Double biggrin

Maldini35

1,897 posts

125 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
BVB said:
This article fails to mention that Ferrari sales are restricted to maintain exclusivity. They could sell quadruple the amount otherwise.
But well done Mclaren all the same.
Very true.
Ferrari have managed their exclusivity very well.
I wonder if they will keep their discipline in the post Luca era with SUV’s on the horizon?
I hope so.
Whilst the merchandising and brand extensions have largely been tatt, the cars always seem special.

AmosMoses

3,078 posts

102 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Good on them, they make the greatest all round supercars in the world IMO.

smig12345

27 posts

1 month

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Well done, I like their cars and would love to own one some day.

Brooking10

3,490 posts

78 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Matty3 said:
Maldini35 said:
Porsche911R said:
I thought they were going to cap sales at 5k PA.

So not sure about them wanting to make 6k cars or more as they wanted to be exclusive.
and when they say 18 new models, is any thing moved forward really ?

18 new models based on the 12C :-) as they are all the same tub and all have the same engine layout and size as the 12c ! give or take a few tweaks lol

The cars are so dull imo. 12c mk 26 !!

12c vs the lastest 600lt, the cars are the same specs and the same performance to a tee even lap times from the 2004 12c are give or take the same.

seems they are a bit stuck and cannot really do much else bar body designs.

Edited by Porsche911R on Monday 7th January 15:33
This from somebody called Porsche911R?

The irony is strong. biggrin
Double biggrin
Have another biggrin

Ironyometer well and truly broken.



J4CKO

26,089 posts

137 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
there is a thread in the Lounge about "British pride", and I personally am not noisily patriotic and I am not part of McLarens success in any way shape or form, But it is fantastic and heart warming to see a British company in next to no time come from nowhere (racing cars and a short but fantastic back catalog notwithstanding) and produce something that competes on an even footing with the worlds best in what is next to no time.





Streetrod

6,350 posts

143 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
Matty3 said:
Maldini35 said:
Porsche911R said:
I thought they were going to cap sales at 5k PA.

So not sure about them wanting to make 6k cars or more as they wanted to be exclusive.
and when they say 18 new models, is any thing moved forward really ?

18 new models based on the 12C :-) as they are all the same tub and all have the same engine layout and size as the 12c ! give or take a few tweaks lol

The cars are so dull imo. 12c mk 26 !!

12c vs the lastest 600lt, the cars are the same specs and the same performance to a tee even lap times from the 2004 12c are give or take the same.

seems they are a bit stuck and cannot really do much else bar body designs.

Edited by Porsche911R on Monday 7th January 15:33
This from somebody called Porsche911R?

The irony is strong. biggrin
Double biggrin
Have another biggrin

Ironyometer well and truly broken.
I was hoping that Porsche 911R's comments were a joke, but on reflection, probably not. Can anyone actually count how many variations of the 911 have existed?? As you guys have said the irony here is strong

Plug Life

978 posts

28 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Streetrod said:
I was hoping that Porsche 911R's comments were a joke, but on reflection, probably not. Can anyone actually count how many variations of the 911 have existed?? As you guys have said the irony here is strong
And the 911 is already a glorified VW Beetle, a design stolen from Tatra by good old Ferdinand Porsche...

swisstoni

7,292 posts

216 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Good luck to them.

indapendentlee

256 posts

36 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
BVB said:
This article fails to mention that Ferrari sales are restricted to maintain exclusivity. They could sell quadruple the amount otherwise.
But well done Mclaren all the same.
I may be wrong think there's also the not insignificant exemption from certain US emissions regulations afforded to small volume manufacturers (sub 10k units/year). Bentley have passed this lately but have access to more VAG tech/engines to help meet the regs.

Also don't think the global market could tolerate 35k Ferrari annually personally, certainly more than 10k but given between MAL, Lambo, Bentley and Ferrari the total only comes to about 25k I struggle to see the stretch to that for Ferrari alone.