RE: New Rufs set for Geneva

RE: New Rufs set for Geneva

Friday 22nd February

New 991-based Ruf GT set for Geneva

The first production Yellowbird tribute will be joined by a brand-new model. Here's what we know



Ruf loves a good Geneva reveal. Two years ago it gave us a 710hp homage to its legendary Yellowbird in the form of the CTR, which it followed up last year with the debut of its new naturally-aspirated SCR. With the renowned marque turning 80 this year, the odds were always good that it was going to serve up something special again, and it has delivered not once, but twice.

First up is the first production example of that CTR, now dubbed the CTR Anniversary. Unlike the majority of other outlandish concepts revealed under the Swiss lights, it has made it to production unaltered, meaning 710hp and 649lb ft from its 3.6-litre twin-turbo flat-six. And a manual transmission. The combination is enough to launch the 1,200kg machine to 62mph in just 3.5 seconds and on to a top speed of 223mph.


The second car set to adorn Ruf's stand is an all-new model; the Ruf GT. Based on the outgoing 991 Porsche 911 details are scarce, but the company has confirmed a 3.0-litre flat-six putting out 515hp and 476lb ft of torque. A seven-speed dual-clutch transmission takes care of the shifting here, helping to shave a tenth off the GT's 0-62 time despite a 200hp and 250kg disadvantage versus the CTR.

Marketing director, Estonia Ruf, said of the models: "Each year we hope to push the technological envelope further, creating a more enjoyable, more usable and better performing sports car. The two cars being unveiled in Geneva are the pinnacle of their respective niche in the car world. They are the best options when it comes to pure driving pleasure. That was the goal from the start."


What else do we know? Well, Ruf has also claimed that, "the ducktail generates high downforce and keeps the RUF GT stable at its top speed of 199 mph." So it's a 991, made faster, with a ducktail. Sounds good to us. We'll look forward to seeing both cars in the metal on March 5th.

 

Author
Discussion

housen

Original Poster:

1,507 posts

131 months

Friday 22nd February
quotequote all
if i won lotto i would order one immediately

MagicMonkey

70 posts

114 months

Friday 22nd February
quotequote all
Whilst I do admire Ruf for their ideology I feel underwhelmed by the execution of their cars as, according to YouTube, the handling & perfomance of (newer) CTR and Rt models is well below that of ‘standard’ Porsche models.

DaveTheRave87

1,218 posts

28 months

Friday 22nd February
quotequote all
housen said:
if i won lotto i would order one immediately
Yes.

Nerdherder

510 posts

36 months

Friday 22nd February
quotequote all
No excuse needed to post anything about the CTR or SCR as far as I'm concerned! cloud9

Augustus Windsock

1,610 posts

94 months

Friday 22nd February
quotequote all
MagicMonkey said:
Whilst I do admire Ruf for their ideology I feel underwhelmed by the execution of their cars as, according to YouTube, the handling & perfomance of (newer) CTR and Rt models is well below that of ‘standard’ Porsche models.
And according to YouTube man has never stood on the Moon, and our Royal Family are all reptiles....
Unless we are saying that the aforementioned opinions were the result of testing by experts with years of road test experience behind them, I think I’d prefer assessments undertaken by PH contributors, Autocar, Car etc than individuals whose sole desire is to get as many followers as possible.
That’s not disrespecting you, by the way, just an opinion....
Advertisement

_Neal_

1,792 posts

158 months

Friday 22nd February
quotequote all
Lovely things of course, but to my eyes the wheels are far too large, particularly on the homage.

redroadster

860 posts

171 months

Friday 22nd February
quotequote all
Respect to this firm love there stuff like reworked whale tail idea .

DoubleSix

9,372 posts

115 months

Friday 22nd February
quotequote all
housen said:
if i won lotto i would order one immediately
Too right. No other vehicle higher on my list.

This and a Singer before I could say “Camelot!”

MagicMonkey

70 posts

114 months

Saturday 23rd February
quotequote all
Augustus Windsock said:
And according to YouTube man has never stood on the Moon, and our Royal Family are all reptiles....
Unless we are saying that the aforementioned opinions were the result of testing by experts with years of road test experience behind them, I think I’d prefer assessments undertaken by PH contributors, Autocar, Car etc than individuals whose sole desire is to get as many followers as possible.
That’s not disrespecting you, by the way, just an opinion....
All of which you’ve said is 100% true, however, herein lies the problem...
Because of their rarity you’re unlikely to come across a dependable (UK) review from an established source and, as such, have to make do with any information available online such as from YouTube.

selondonman

26 posts

146 months

Saturday 23rd February
quotequote all
ruf performance below a standard porsche .. are you having a giraffe ?

MagicMonkey

70 posts

114 months

Saturday 23rd February
quotequote all
selondonman said:
ruf performance below a standard porsche .. are you having a giraffe ?
Perhaps I should’ve first stated that I initially became untested in the brand after a very brief affair with a RHD Rt12 when one became available locally years ago (which subsequently ended up in Thailand of all places)

What I’m getting at is despite the massive (for the time) power outputs of their 997 based RT and CTR range when tested against the ‘regular’ Turbo or Turbo S they didn’t fair too well. I understand that outright acceleration isn’t a complete measure of performance but at a time when Porsche was making the shift towards dual clutch transmissions the (mainly) manual based Ruf cars couldn’t hold a candle to them.

PorkRind

2,760 posts

144 months

Sunday 24th February
quotequote all
MagicMonkey said:
Whilst I do admire Ruf for their ideology I feel underwhelmed by the execution of their cars as, according to YouTube, the handling & perfomance of (newer) CTR and Rt models is well below that of ‘standard’ Porsche models.
This does seem to be the case with their latest machines, certainly.

MagicMonkey

70 posts

114 months

Sunday 24th February
quotequote all
PorkRind said:
This does seem to be the case with their latest machines, certainly.
The ‘problem’ is that, for Ruf, Porsche spends an absolute fortune to fine tune their products so well these days that there’s like room for improvements from fancy one-man-in-a-shed style companies.

housen

Original Poster:

1,507 posts

131 months

Monday 25th February
quotequote all
MagicMonkey said:
PorkRind said:
This does seem to be the case with their latest machines, certainly.
The ‘problem’ is that, for Ruf, Porsche spends an absolute fortune to fine tune their products so well these days that there’s like room for improvements from fancy one-man-in-a-shed style companies.
dont think RUF have any problems ....and dont think they are competing against porsche ....infact i dont think they actually have a competitor