RE: The £5k Renaultsport Megane 250 | Spotted

RE: The £5k Renaultsport Megane 250 | Spotted

Tuesday 2nd July

The £5k Renaultsport Megane 250 | Spotted

The previous Megane was a hot hatch legend, and for good reason; now it's getting really cheap, too...



There’s a bit of Renault Sport excitement running around PistonHeads at the moment, after a long time away it should be said. Despite failing to overcome the Civic Type R in a twin test, enough talent was shown by the new Megane Trophy to suggest that running one for half a year will be a pleasure. And the Trophy R isn’t far off either, stripped bare and promising – as these lightweight Meganes have always delivered – one of the great front-wheel drive experiences.

Whoops, did it already. There’s no possibility of discussing the current Renault Sport Megane without thinking about the old one; arguably more than any other car, the Megane IV sits in the shadow of its predecessor. What went previously impressed so many that changing the formula, which is naturally required with progress, becomes an unenviable task.


It’ll hopefully be more than familiar to hear now, but is worth repeating: the Megane III Renault Sport’s genius was in forging together a modern, usable, fairly practical and durable hatch with the kind of dynamic class, engagement and enjoyment that surpassed the rest. It was great, on any road and in almost any situation. It’s a combination the latest car hasn’t yet stumbled upon, but give it time – the last Megane was criticised for being a bit mature after the second gen model, after all…

And here we are, 10 years after launch, with one of the best hot hatches of this century available for £5k. £5,500 to be precise, but a quick sale is required and so there might be some wiggle room. A bargain already, and even more so when you bear in mind how much is shared with the later, racier models that cost so much more.


Alright, so a £5k Megane 250 is never going to be perfect. Ideally it would be a Lux rather than a Cup, for a start. There are some advisories on the MOT, it’s already just crept over 100,000 miles, the wheels are scuffed and the seats, well…

There are also four Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, though, a Milltek exhaust, a K-Tec induction kit and the R.S. monitor. It’s also HPI clear, and shouldn’t need a service for a few thousand miles.


You only need look at what Ben achieved with his Megane to see where a bit of money spent on one (especially the seats, in this case) can work wonders for these cars. So much is good already, yet easily improved as well: they can comfortably (and reliably) handle more power, and a decade of these cars being on sale means a whole host of chassis options are there depending on how serious you want the overhaul to be.

This looks like the perfect base, then, for a Megane track project. There’s always an element of risk in buying the cheapest available example of a car – the next most affordable Megane is £7k, but £1,500 would be a great start for modifications – and this will be no different. For a while now, though, the key mechanicals of the Megane have proven strong, and the car generally reliable. This 250 could end up owing its next owner less than £10,000 and be an absolute riot. You don’t always need mega money for a mega Megane…


SPECIFICATIONS - RENAULTSPORT MEGANE 250

Engine: 1,998cc, four-cylinder turbo
Transmission: 6-speed manual, front-wheel drive,
Power (hp): 250@5,500rpm
Torque (lb ft): 251@3,000rpm
MPG: 34
CO2: 190g/km
First registered: 2010
Recorded mileage: 104,000
Price new: £22,995
Yours for: £5,500

See the original advert here.

Author
Discussion

redroadster

Original Poster:

942 posts

175 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
I'm looking at spending around 5 k need a fast good-looking car with a hatch so I can get mountain bike in ,narrowed it down to this or fn2 type r or wild card Audi TT ? .

ZX10R NIN

14,544 posts

68 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
I'd go for one of these or the Focus ST-3 for me, in this case this car seems to be good value.

borat52

163 posts

151 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Having been through a few quick cars of all kinds, impreza's, R35 GTR, supercharged jags, Mitsi GTO/FTO, I really rate these quick Meganes.

The spec makes a big difference though. Don't know much about this generation but I currently have an R26 from the previous generation and the cup spec dampers and LSD make a huge difference compared to the standard 225 from that era.

Butter Face

18,946 posts

103 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
'Alright, so a £5k Megane 250 is never going to be perfect. Ideally it would be a Lux rather than a Cup, for a start'

er? confused

Jon_S_Rally

418 posts

31 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Butter Face said:
'Alright, so a £5k Megane 250 is never going to be perfect. Ideally it would be a Lux rather than a Cup, for a start'

er? confused
Glad it wasn't just me.

This car is a Lux without the Cup chassis, so no LSD and softer suspension. If it's in decent shape, it would still be a good car, but not an ideal base for a cheap track car in my book.

The challenge with these is finding one with the right options. It took me a while to find one with Recaro seats, Cup chassis etc etc etc. While the standard model is good, one with the nice bits is better, and much easier to sell later down the line.
Advertisement

KPB1973

240 posts

42 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Butter Face said:
'Alright, so a £5k Megane 250 is never going to be perfect. Ideally it would be a Lux rather than a Cup, for a start'

er? confused
Indeed!

The wrong way around.

At 7/10th it's a pretty capable car. Beyond that, the Cup car is in a completely different league.

Bowen86

170 posts

54 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Butter Face said:
'Alright, so a £5k Megane 250 is never going to be perfect. Ideally it would be a Lux rather than a Cup, for a start'

er? confused
This.

greenarrow

1,675 posts

60 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Bowen86 said:
Butter Face said:
'Alright, so a £5k Megane 250 is never going to be perfect. Ideally it would be a Lux rather than a Cup, for a start'

er? confused
This.
Yup, K-Tec racing told me a Megane 250 needs two things; cup chassis and ideally the recaros!

Really pleased these are coming down in price. Its taken quite some time, for ages I struggled to find one below £10K never mind just over £5K. In fact the prices K-Tec charge for early 250s have hardly changed since I came close to taking the plunge in December 2015.

This gen of Meg is just one of those cars where I always want to doff my cap to the owner. You just know the owner is likely to be a proper petrolhead and in fairness I have yet to see one driven recklessly.

Gilhooligan

1,548 posts

87 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Jon_S_Rally said:
Glad it wasn't just me.

This car is a Lux without the Cup chassis, so no LSD and softer suspension. If it's in decent shape, it would still be a good car, but not an ideal base for a cheap track car in my book.

The challenge with these is finding one with the right options. It took me a while to find one with Recaro seats, Cup chassis etc etc etc. While the standard model is good, one with the nice bits is better, and much easier to sell later down the line.
True. My mate had a non cup one and it was still a great car. However when I came to buy mines, it had to be a cup. He had a nightmare selling his as basically everyone wants the cup.

Jon_S_Rally

418 posts

31 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Gilhooligan said:
True. My mate had a non cup one and it was still a great car. However when I came to buy mines, it had to be a cup. He had a nightmare selling his as basically everyone wants the cup.
Yeah that was pretty much my experience. When looking to buy, I instantly ignored anything that didn't have the Cup chassis, so they're definitely harder to shift.

Will definitely have another in the future, miss mine a lot.

tch911

357 posts

154 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
redroadster said:
I'm looking at spending around 5 k need a fast good-looking car with a hatch so I can get mountain bike in ,narrowed it down to this or fn2 type r or wild card Audi TT ? .
Something like this, by a long shot, although you are limited to, erm this one car, and knowing that you are getting into a 100k mile car.

Mountain Bikes like mountains, and nothing can touch a Megane 250 on a good Welsh Mountain Road. I took my Cup-chassis car up to North Wales, and it was unbelievable.

Whilst many buyers look for the cup chassis and Recaro, this car will always be a cheaper car, so buy it well, and there will always be another 'you' looking for a cheap entry to the model. If this was a £9k car without the cup chassis, then that's another thing entirely.

I had the Cup chassis, and the 18" wheels, and I found the ride just too crashy. Handled like a racing car, but compared to the C63 I replaced it with, I wouldn't advocate the cup chassis unless you intend to track it constantly.

Jamescrs

310 posts

8 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
For the price it looks good value, sure it's not a cup but for the money I still think it would make a decent track car with a few choice mods and looks like it would tidy up easily enough.

borat52

163 posts

151 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Jamescrs said:
For the price it looks good value, sure it's not a cup but for the money I still think it would make a decent track car with a few choice mods and looks like it would tidy up easily enough.
Thinking about it isn't the "cup chassis" just different springs and damper? In which case with 100k on the clock changing these might actually see you with a better ride than a factory cup with 100k on.

gofasterrosssco

1,128 posts

179 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
tch911 said:
I had the Cup chassis, and the 18" wheels, and I found the ride just too crashy. Handled like a racing car, but compared to the C63 I replaced it with, I wouldn't advocate the cup chassis unless you intend to track it constantly.
Interesting, as my RS250 with a Cup (and 18's) is firm, but the damping is really well resolved (for an OEM product) meaning they are stiff, but not crashy, even on some of Scotland's finest B-roads. Mine has pretty fresh springs, dampers and various other bushes / links which may help in that regard however.

KPB1973

240 posts

42 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
borat52 said:
Thinking about it isn't the "cup chassis" just different springs and damper? In which case with 100k on the clock changing these might actually see you with a better ride than a factory cup with 100k on.
No, there's also the limited slip diff and (from memory) thicker anti-roll bars. They make a massive difference.

Gilhooligan

1,548 posts

87 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
redroadster said:
I'm looking at spending around 5 k need a fast good-looking car with a hatch so I can get mountain bike in ,narrowed it down to this or fn2 type r or wild card Audi TT ? .


They’re not bad for fitting bikes in. The seats don’t fold that flat though. Not as good as say, a Golf or Leon. But then they do look cooler wink. As other have said though, you’re going to struggle on a 5k budget.

Gilhooligan

1,548 posts

87 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
KPB1973 said:
borat52 said:
Thinking about it isn't the "cup chassis" just different springs and damper? In which case with 100k on the clock changing these might actually see you with a better ride than a factory cup with 100k on.
No, there's also the limited slip diff and (from memory) thicker anti-roll bars. They make a massive difference.
You’re also forgetting the all important red painted Brembos, which add at least another 30bhp.

emu002

17 posts

135 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
I've fit 2 mountain bikes in the back of a citroen c1 many times with the wheels off so should easily fit in a megane

We have recently bought roof bars and we wish we had done that years earlier (so much less messing about, does impact mpg a little though)

Kosy

70 posts

104 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
As it doesn’t have the Cup chassis I think I would prefer an R26 at this price point.

blearyeyedboy

4,825 posts

122 months

Tuesday 2nd July
quotequote all
Gilhooligan said:
KPB1973 said:
borat52 said:
Thinking about it isn't the "cup chassis" just different springs and damper? In which case with 100k on the clock changing these might actually see you with a better ride than a factory cup with 100k on.
No, there's also the limited slip diff and (from memory) thicker anti-roll bars. They make a massive difference.
You’re also forgetting the all important red painted Brembos, which add at least another 30bhp.
Thought non-Cups lacked Perfohubs? Now that would mean almost as much as the LSD.

However, would it cost less to retrofit than to pay Cup prices if you're preparing a track car anyway? Bear in mind that the LSD will be past its best on an old car, and many will have become effectively open diffs by 100k...