RE: Nissan GT-R NISMO breaks Tsukuba lap record

RE: Nissan GT-R NISMO breaks Tsukuba lap record

Tuesday 28th January

Nissan GT-R NISMO breaks Tsukuba lap record

Latest 2020 R35 flagship is the fastest production car ever to lap iconic Japanese track



Any enthusiast with a passing interest in the Japanese car scene will know of Tsukuba: it featured heavily on Gran Turismo, it's hosted a tonne of Best Motoring vidsand they even do MX-5 endurance races there. It's about as Japanese as Japanese race tracks get.
It's therefore appropriate that a Japanese car - a new GT-R NISMO, specifically - has claimed the production lap record at Tsukuba. And while it doesn't carry the kudos of something like the Nurburgring - chiefly because Tsukuba is only 1.2 miles long - a lap record is still a lap record. And 59.3 seconds is still very, very fast.

In fact, it's the first production car we know of to dip under a minute, the majority of supercar laps, including the old NISMO, around the 60- and 61-second mark. What a shame, then, that the video supplied with the release doesn't really get across the speed of a 59-second lap, interspersing onboard footage with interviews and drive-bys. But something is better than nothing.

As for the NISMO GT-R, to beat rivals like the 911 GT3 RS, Audi R8 V10 Plus and Radical SR4 must rank as some achievement for a 10 year-old car. How might it fare on a UK circuit? Hopefully that's a question that can be answered soon enough. We'll make a better video, too...

Β 


Search for a Nissan GT-R here

Author
Discussion

brogenville

Original Poster:

907 posts

153 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
For a heavy girl like the GTR to go round a circuit faster than a Radical SR4, that’s going some.

cerb4.5lee

14,122 posts

132 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
I saw a White GT-R(standard car) earlier today and I thought how much I still really liked the shape. They have a nice road presence for sure.

These have always amazed me how quick they are when you consider the weight they carry around.

Juno

4,167 posts

201 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
My old R34 GTR built by Hosaka Tunning went round in 58 seconds so it’s not that exciting! However I do like the R35’s having had 4 of them from 09-17 model,great cars and always put a smile on your face biggrin

Edited by Juno on Tuesday 28th January 17:10

J2daG1990

1,024 posts

78 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
Decent time for a production road-legal car.
However, plenty of track civics, R34s, S15s, etc. have cracked 55 sec barrier easily at the Attack events.

Gameface

11,860 posts

29 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
Has a Performante or a Pista had a go?

ZX10R NIN

16,877 posts

77 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
I'd like to see them have go as they couldn't use their BHP advantage in many places.

amgmcqueen

1,717 posts

102 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
I'm sorry but why the juddering fk should I give a toss about the Tsukuba lap record...?

the_hood

469 posts

146 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
Great car, piss poor video!

Jim on the hill

4,218 posts

142 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
amgmcqueen said:
I'm sorry but why the juddering fk should I give a toss about the Tsukuba lap record...?
Who said you should? More interesting than another ring time.

ZX10R NIN

16,877 posts

77 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
amgmcqueen said:
I'm sorry but why the juddering fk should I give a toss about the Tsukuba lap record...?
The same reason you shouldn't give a toss (going by your response) about any laptime ever smile

VR6 Eug

124 posts

151 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
How will it get on with a western driver on a bigger track because some of those times and best motoring vids, may just of favoured the home make cars!🙊

borat52

204 posts

160 months

Tuesday 28th January
quotequote all
Whatever your thoughts its a real achievement for what is a 12 year old car to be able to compete with the best of today.

The NSX 4 years ago was said to be about to herald a new era of hybrid performance but I don't really see much evidence to suggest that we're getting any performance improvement from electrification beyond some one off bespoke track specials.

I'm not an electrophobe, simply an observation

C.MW

255 posts

21 months

Wednesday 29th January
quotequote all
This is crazy not just for a 10 year old car but for any car of this kind. Had they come up with a new version of it, it sure would have eaten up all those so called hypercars on road and track.

sisu

565 posts

125 months

Wednesday 29th January
quotequote all
borat52 said:
Whatever your thoughts its a real achievement for what is a 12 year old car to be able to compete with the best of today.

The NSX 4 years ago was said to be about to herald a new era of hybrid performance but I don't really see much evidence to suggest that we're getting any performance improvement from electrification beyond some one off bespoke track specials.

I'm not an electrophobe, simply an observation
Depends on what you are comparing it to? A 2010 Audi RS6?

Much like a Subaru holding the Isle of man lap, there can only be one winner in a Gaijin free PR stunt.

Have you been in a Porsche estate over the last 2 years? The electrification of the cars to fill in to make it faster and mooch about silently away from the house is addictive.

The R35 gtr nismo is what it is, a fast version of a 10 year old car, but this isn't 2010 is it?

Jim on the hill

4,218 posts

142 months

Wednesday 29th January
quotequote all
sisu said:
borat52 said:
Whatever your thoughts its a real achievement for what is a 12 year old car to be able to compete with the best of today.

The NSX 4 years ago was said to be about to herald a new era of hybrid performance but I don't really see much evidence to suggest that we're getting any performance improvement from electrification beyond some one off bespoke track specials.

I'm not an electrophobe, simply an observation
Depends on what you are comparing it to? A 2010 Audi RS6?

Much like a Subaru holding the Isle of man lap, there can only be one winner in a Gaijin free PR stunt.

Have you been in a Porsche estate over the last 2 years? The electrification of the cars to fill in to make it faster and mooch about silently away from the house is addictive.

The R35 gtr nismo is what it is, a fast version of a 10 year old car, but this isn't 2010 is it?
No it's 2020 and the GTR Nismo just set the track record.

Dave Hedgehog

12,559 posts

156 months

Wednesday 29th January
quotequote all
Jim on the hill said:
No it's 2020 and the GTR Nismo just set the track record.
on track that no other road cars run records on

there's a nice carting track in kent, they can set a lap record there next


man up and stick it on the ring

captain_tripping

72 posts

10 months

Friday 31st January
quotequote all
Is it really Tsukuba when there isn't a green-bonnet AE86 drifting behind?