MORGAN PLUS 4 'FLAT RAD' - RESTORED
The first four-wheel Morgan, the 4/4 appeared in 1936 with a 1122cc Coventry Climax Engine. After the war it was joined by the more powerful Plus 4 'Flat Rad' as it became commonly known. These charming 50's Morgan's are widely considered as one of the best all-round Morgan's produced from the Malvern based firm. A true English roadster that's utterly timeless some variants even boasted room for four (well, two plus two children). It was still clearly a 1930s sports car, but throughout the years, it received updates and upgrades as the cars that donated their engines and gearboxes evolved. A move to hydraulically assisted brakes was a welcome move, as was the lightly restyled front end. During its 19-year run, it went through a 2.1-litre Standard Vanguard engine before moving to a Triumph TR2 engine. Front disc brakes were finally fitted as standard in 1961, which was a good thing, as the final TR4 engined models were genuine 100mph cars.in 1950 with a 1.8 Litre Vanguard engine followed by a 2080cc Vanguard engine which produced 68 horse-power and a top speed of 85 mph. In 1952 the Triumph TR2 1991cc engine was fitted producing 90 horsepower and 100 mph and after this they used the TR3 and TR4 engines.
One of reputedly just 348 Plus 4 Flat Rad two-seaters built this lovely 1952 'Flat Rad' Morgan Plus 4 - Chassis No: P2307 and Engine No: V230ME was sold new by Morgan dealers Meetens Motor Mecca in New Malden, Surrey to the first owner who was Commander M.S Chambers of the Royal Navy and it was registered on 17th March 1952.
Between 1952 and 1957 the vehicle was returned to Morgan for routine servicing and modifications and a more extensive overhaul (see Morgan service record) and at some point in the late 1950's the car was exported to the USA and spent some time in Savannah, Georgia, but very little is known about the car during its life in the USA.
The car was purchased by the present English owner from Classic Motorsports in Merrimack, New Hampshire in April 2012 and imported back to the UK and was re-registered as 606 YUR.
Since 2012 he carried out various works on this car which is fitted with a 1991cc Triumph TR3 Engine and ultimately he decided that the vehicle required a new chassis and commissioned Tim Ayres at New Elms Classic Morgan’s to undertake the work. During the course of the chassis replacement the vehicle was also subjected to a sympathetic restoration of the remainder of the car and over £10,000 was spent on these and other works.
All works is comprehensively detailed in the history file along with a photographic record. The car also comes with a spare Triumph TR3 'high port' engine block, the original windscreen and frame + windscreen wipers and motor and its original hood frame, but does require a new hood.
This is a beautiful example of the early 'Flat Rad' model and it drives beautifully. It has 66,267 miles on the speedometer, but of course we have no idea of its original mileage from new, but perhaps pretty irrelevant on a rebuilt car such as this.
Upon sale we will give the car a new MOT and pre-sales service/checkover.
Car on display @ our showrooms in Mortlake
NB: Classic Chrome Ltd make every effort to ensure that the information in this advertisement is accurate and all statements as to provenance and condition are given as opinions only. When describing any car that is more than 20 years old, we sometimes have to rely on the car’s history file and any information provided by the previous owner(s). This information in passed on in good faith and is therefore not purported to be a statement of fact. Any prospective purchaser must satisfy themselves as to the condition and fitness for use of the vehicle. This does not affect your statutory rights.
- LayoutFront Engined
- AspirationNormally Aspirated
- Power 145 bhp
- Torque 120 lbs/ft
- Top speed 120 mph
- Acceleration0 to 62 in 7.5 s
- Driven wheelsRear Wheel Drive
- Economy 38.7 mpg
- Body typeConvertible
- Emissions 172 (g/km)
- Vehicle height 1,220 mm
- Vehicle width 1,610 mm
Reference #10629980 | Trade advert