Use car purchase delays unacceptable
Discussion
Hi all, I hope I can find some advice from the PH crew regarding a used car purchase I'm making.
I went to view a car at a motor dealer and agreed a purchase price and left a deposit on the basis that certain work was carried out on the car within 3-5 days.
THAT WAS NEARLY 3 WEEKS AGO, and I feel like I'm being mugged off by the dealer. I went there tonight to collect the car as agreed but was told the car was at the MOT station and the engine service still needed doing.
The chap has said hell deliver the car in the morning and I've told him that if he doesnt then I expect to get my deposit refunded (I paid it in part using my credit card).
I'm not hopeful of him turning up tomorrow so legally where do I stand? Do I have any right to a refund of my deposit or not? How long am I ecpected to have to wait for the car?
Feeling totally brassed off now.
Naffa.
I went to view a car at a motor dealer and agreed a purchase price and left a deposit on the basis that certain work was carried out on the car within 3-5 days.
THAT WAS NEARLY 3 WEEKS AGO, and I feel like I'm being mugged off by the dealer. I went there tonight to collect the car as agreed but was told the car was at the MOT station and the engine service still needed doing.
The chap has said hell deliver the car in the morning and I've told him that if he doesnt then I expect to get my deposit refunded (I paid it in part using my credit card).
I'm not hopeful of him turning up tomorrow so legally where do I stand? Do I have any right to a refund of my deposit or not? How long am I ecpected to have to wait for the car?
Feeling totally brassed off now.
Naffa.
What is the hold up?
What sort of car and price?
Ultimately if communications are unclear and poor at this stage what happens if you have a problem with the car?
I would say you have been patient, reasonable and waited longer than agreed. If they cannot have the car ready (I would personally collect it now) for an agreed time to the agreed standard then I think they should return your deposit as the deal as not been kept their end.
I run a used car business, I would be thinking to myself what if this guy has sold his own car / has no car and be doing everything I could communicating clearly to avoid ending up in this situation.
Something is not right.
What sort of car and price?
Ultimately if communications are unclear and poor at this stage what happens if you have a problem with the car?
I would say you have been patient, reasonable and waited longer than agreed. If they cannot have the car ready (I would personally collect it now) for an agreed time to the agreed standard then I think they should return your deposit as the deal as not been kept their end.
I run a used car business, I would be thinking to myself what if this guy has sold his own car / has no car and be doing everything I could communicating clearly to avoid ending up in this situation.
Something is not right.
Has the dealer told you why it has taken so long to get the car ready for you, is this a viable reason based on work to be done as agreed ?
If you have any inkling at all that your deal will goes south and/or the dealer will try to wriggle out of any subsequent issues you may have with the car then have him refund your deposit today. If the dealer cannot do that then speak to your credit card firm and see what they say and try to walk away as quickly as possible.
Regardless of the rarity of the car (if any) or the desirability of the car based on the price agreed you are likely to end up in a situation that frustrates you and causes you more financial pain based on what you have stated so far.
If you have any inkling at all that your deal will goes south and/or the dealer will try to wriggle out of any subsequent issues you may have with the car then have him refund your deposit today. If the dealer cannot do that then speak to your credit card firm and see what they say and try to walk away as quickly as possible.
Regardless of the rarity of the car (if any) or the desirability of the car based on the price agreed you are likely to end up in a situation that frustrates you and causes you more financial pain based on what you have stated so far.
I'm here! And since posting this I now have the car in my possession.
As stated I went to pick up the car last night and was told it was not ready. I told the dealer that if the car wasnt delivered to me by 10am today I wanted my deposit refunding.
2 mins after 10 this morning the car was delivered with lots of apologies (after lots of excuses).
So thanks for all the words of advice. I just hope theres no further problems and the work I was promised (cambelt, service, waterpump, antifreeze etc) has actually been done.
Naffa
As stated I went to pick up the car last night and was told it was not ready. I told the dealer that if the car wasnt delivered to me by 10am today I wanted my deposit refunding.
2 mins after 10 this morning the car was delivered with lots of apologies (after lots of excuses).
So thanks for all the words of advice. I just hope theres no further problems and the work I was promised (cambelt, service, waterpump, antifreeze etc) has actually been done.
Naffa
naffa said:
So thanks for all the words of advice. I just hope theres no further problems and the work I was promised (cambelt, service, waterpump, antifreeze etc) has actually been done.
Naffa
Can't be much profit in retailing a cheap MG. The cynic in me says none of those jobs have been done. Naffa
Get someone independent to check.
Forums | Speed, Plod & the Law | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff




