Wedding and Covid-19
Discussion
I know, another thread - sorry!
Due to get married in June, and the current situations mean this more than likely won't happen, social distancing, no bars/restaurants etc etc.
I approached our wedding venue today to ask about postponing, rather than cancelling, due to the current situation. Their reply is that of course I can postpone....but the full balance will still be due two weeks before the date of the original wedding.
Now this doesn't sit quite right with me, If i'm to pay the remainder (50%) of the balance at the end of May and postpone the wedding until, say December, they will hold a substantial amount of money through what is rather an uncertain time.
A line from the contact '14 days prior to the event, the Hotel requires the outstanding balance to be paid in full. Up until this time, the original pro-forma invoice can be amended if and when the details change'
What's other peoples opinions on this?
Due to get married in June, and the current situations mean this more than likely won't happen, social distancing, no bars/restaurants etc etc.
I approached our wedding venue today to ask about postponing, rather than cancelling, due to the current situation. Their reply is that of course I can postpone....but the full balance will still be due two weeks before the date of the original wedding.
Now this doesn't sit quite right with me, If i'm to pay the remainder (50%) of the balance at the end of May and postpone the wedding until, say December, they will hold a substantial amount of money through what is rather an uncertain time.
A line from the contact '14 days prior to the event, the Hotel requires the outstanding balance to be paid in full. Up until this time, the original pro-forma invoice can be amended if and when the details change'
What's other peoples opinions on this?
16v stretch said:
The cynic in me says wait for the government to force cancellations and get your money back from your wedding insurance.
On the other hand, it's a business, and if they deferred everything without cost they would lose a significant amount of their forecasted cash.
The business has incurred virtually no costs at this point, no wages, no purchases. On the other hand, it's a business, and if they deferred everything without cost they would lose a significant amount of their forecasted cash.
They should take a look at themselves.
I’d tell them to fek off. The insurance will likely be void anyway.
It is alright for a venue to say book at a later date, but when will that be? my daughter is planning on getting married next April. then venue she has booked with was already fairly full for 2021 and 2020 was almost fully booked for weekends. So if 20 weddings have to move where are they are going to move them too?
16v stretch said:
The cynic in me says wait for the government to force cancellations and get your money back from your wedding insurance.
On the other hand, it's a business, and if they deferred everything without cost they would lose a significant amount of their forecasted cash.
Equally, you could pay the deposit and they could go bust before your event ...On the other hand, it's a business, and if they deferred everything without cost they would lose a significant amount of their forecasted cash.
vonhosen said:
The Moose said:
16v stretch said:
your wedding insurance.
Wedding insurance, really?If the OP has it then great, if not it's a bit cruel to point out it's available now!
vonhosen said:
The Moose said:
16v stretch said:
your wedding insurance.
Wedding insurance, really?Debanhams - brilliant service.
Sadly I had to claim as a con woman took a load of our money who seemed legit and did one (along with £50k of others) claimed on the insurance got it all back thankfully.
Benrad said:
vonhosen said:
The Moose said:
16v stretch said:
your wedding insurance.
Wedding insurance, really?If the OP has it then great, if not it's a bit cruel to point out it's available now!
Yeah we do have wedding insurance. Was taken out at some point last year. Way before all this Covid-19 stuff.
The venue is now officially closed in line with government advice until further notice, the registrars have cancelled our pre wedding meeting thing too...
Just waiting on the insurance opinion...would rather it back from the venue than them get to keep a healthy chunk for not a lot.
The venue is now officially closed in line with government advice until further notice, the registrars have cancelled our pre wedding meeting thing too...
Just waiting on the insurance opinion...would rather it back from the venue than them get to keep a healthy chunk for not a lot.
OP we are in a similar situation, due to get married in June but can't see it happening now.
We don't have insurance though unfortunately...! We are keeping things civil with the venue but being very clear about the fact that because we haven't paid in full we are holding most of the cards.
For you, I do wonder - given the unprecedented number of claims the industry will be getting - if it might be prudent to get your insurer's advice on whether to hand over any more money?
I think it's possible that certain insurers will look to weasel out of claims if at all possible, it could be that they take the view down the line that you've been somewhat reckless in handing over cash (eg. paying in full for a wedding that isn't happening for another 6 months due to a pandemic) and not cover you in the event of a claim, eg. the venue going bust. An extreme analogy would be driving while pissed - insurance null and void.
Of course the counter argument from the venue would be that not paying will contribute to them going bust.
All that said it's important to keep perspective, bigger problems just now and this is a nice problem to have, kind of
We don't have insurance though unfortunately...! We are keeping things civil with the venue but being very clear about the fact that because we haven't paid in full we are holding most of the cards.
For you, I do wonder - given the unprecedented number of claims the industry will be getting - if it might be prudent to get your insurer's advice on whether to hand over any more money?
I think it's possible that certain insurers will look to weasel out of claims if at all possible, it could be that they take the view down the line that you've been somewhat reckless in handing over cash (eg. paying in full for a wedding that isn't happening for another 6 months due to a pandemic) and not cover you in the event of a claim, eg. the venue going bust. An extreme analogy would be driving while pissed - insurance null and void.
Of course the counter argument from the venue would be that not paying will contribute to them going bust.
All that said it's important to keep perspective, bigger problems just now and this is a nice problem to have, kind of

Hi,
Same situation here. Wedding due for 31st May, the venue has postponed all weddings until the end of June. They've offered us some alternative dates FOC but none are really suitable. They've advised if we want to move it wholesale by a year we'll have to cancel (and lose £5k already paid) and re-book. They will transfer all the accommodation deposits over for all the guests though.
We have insurance but they're not much help. They wont tell us whether they will pay out if we cancel and rearrange... They basically said this morning stick a claim in and see what happens. They have a COVID FAQ on their website but it's not been updated since 18th March... It has this as one of the FAQ's
MY WEDDING IS PLANNED BEFORE THE 30TH JUNE, IF MY WEDDING VENUE NEEDS TO BE CANCELLED OR REARRANGED, WILL I BE COVERED FOR THESE COSTS?
Yes - subject to an insured peril, we will pay up to the relevant sum insured to reimburse you for reasonable additional costs incurred in rearranging the wedding and/or wedding reception and/or wedding services to a similar standard to that catered for by the original budget. We would expect services of a similar standard to not exceed the original invoiced costs by more than 25%
I'm trying to understand what insured peril is and how best to proceed generally. Only real option I can see, seems to be cancel what we have, stick a claim in and see what happens. Obviously we run the risk of not getting an insurance payout and paying the venue twice...
Fully appreciate there are much bigger issues at the moment but need to try and sort it so any advice would be gratefully received!
Same situation here. Wedding due for 31st May, the venue has postponed all weddings until the end of June. They've offered us some alternative dates FOC but none are really suitable. They've advised if we want to move it wholesale by a year we'll have to cancel (and lose £5k already paid) and re-book. They will transfer all the accommodation deposits over for all the guests though.
We have insurance but they're not much help. They wont tell us whether they will pay out if we cancel and rearrange... They basically said this morning stick a claim in and see what happens. They have a COVID FAQ on their website but it's not been updated since 18th March... It has this as one of the FAQ's
MY WEDDING IS PLANNED BEFORE THE 30TH JUNE, IF MY WEDDING VENUE NEEDS TO BE CANCELLED OR REARRANGED, WILL I BE COVERED FOR THESE COSTS?
Yes - subject to an insured peril, we will pay up to the relevant sum insured to reimburse you for reasonable additional costs incurred in rearranging the wedding and/or wedding reception and/or wedding services to a similar standard to that catered for by the original budget. We would expect services of a similar standard to not exceed the original invoiced costs by more than 25%
I'm trying to understand what insured peril is and how best to proceed generally. Only real option I can see, seems to be cancel what we have, stick a claim in and see what happens. Obviously we run the risk of not getting an insurance payout and paying the venue twice...
Fully appreciate there are much bigger issues at the moment but need to try and sort it so any advice would be gratefully received!
gazlar53 said:
I'm trying to understand what insured peril is
They will either be listed in your policy under the cancellation section, "we will cover you for cancellation in the event of......" or alternatively the policy will say "we cover you for cancellation except due to..." and there will be a list of exclusions. Where has everyone got with their weddings so far?
We got in contact with the registrars yesterday, they state they are currently unable to rearrange any bookings to another date in 2020 however they are willing to take bookings for 2021 onwards.
We'd originally pencilled in a date in December (in the hope we'd be back to some normality).
It seems our venue (who hold a large chunk of our money) aren't quite in agreement with the registrars and say the only reason they wouldn't take the booking, is if weddings are unable to take place in December.
They seemingly want us to proceed as if December is all fine and dandy, and if it isn't then we can postpone again...which isn't what we want to do.
We're still waiting on the new contract from the wedding venue, although they say this will take some time as they are tailoring contracts to each couple, which rings alarms bells already with me.
We got in contact with the registrars yesterday, they state they are currently unable to rearrange any bookings to another date in 2020 however they are willing to take bookings for 2021 onwards.
We'd originally pencilled in a date in December (in the hope we'd be back to some normality).
It seems our venue (who hold a large chunk of our money) aren't quite in agreement with the registrars and say the only reason they wouldn't take the booking, is if weddings are unable to take place in December.
They seemingly want us to proceed as if December is all fine and dandy, and if it isn't then we can postpone again...which isn't what we want to do.
We're still waiting on the new contract from the wedding venue, although they say this will take some time as they are tailoring contracts to each couple, which rings alarms bells already with me.
We have postponed from summer 2020 to 2021.
It’s a relief I just say and the venue are being great, we will be paying 2021 prices though which are quite a bit higher - can’t hold that against them. All the other suppliers are being great too, only the photographer has made a bizarre request for full payment this year for cash flow and keeping them under the VAT threshold in 2021...
It’s a relief I just say and the venue are being great, we will be paying 2021 prices though which are quite a bit higher - can’t hold that against them. All the other suppliers are being great too, only the photographer has made a bizarre request for full payment this year for cash flow and keeping them under the VAT threshold in 2021...
Forums | Speed, Plod & the Law | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


