Holiday cancelled no refund
Discussion
Hi all
I recognise that I will be just gathering opinions rather than total facts but thought I would post anyway.
I had booked a holiday cottage left for one week at Easter and today received an email from the company saying that it had to be cancelled because of the lockdown. Of course I know this and was expecting contact.
They will not offer a refund and instead say they will give me credit which has to be used in the next six months. Travelling within that time period will not be possible for me. Based on this are there any grounds to insist on a refund?
Thanks
Josh
I recognise that I will be just gathering opinions rather than total facts but thought I would post anyway.
I had booked a holiday cottage left for one week at Easter and today received an email from the company saying that it had to be cancelled because of the lockdown. Of course I know this and was expecting contact.
They will not offer a refund and instead say they will give me credit which has to be used in the next six months. Travelling within that time period will not be possible for me. Based on this are there any grounds to insist on a refund?
Thanks
Josh
i think I read somewhere that part of the emergency legislation was that holiday companies could offer vouchers or credit for future use to help with cashflow, but that customers would still have the right of refund if they requested it.
I've nothing booked personally so you'd need to check.
I've nothing booked personally so you'd need to check.
We are in the same boat.
Booked at Cottage up in the Highlands for a week from 18th April, obviously isn't happening now.
Emailed the booking company but heard nothing yet, they have a notice on there site saying people can't get refunds but can alter the date. Doesn't explain though if it's just for the same cottage or another option. The one we picked has no availability until end of November.
Given we really have no clue when life will return to some form of normality, we are alittle stuck as to what to do. Just waiting to see if they get back to us.
Booked at Cottage up in the Highlands for a week from 18th April, obviously isn't happening now.
Emailed the booking company but heard nothing yet, they have a notice on there site saying people can't get refunds but can alter the date. Doesn't explain though if it's just for the same cottage or another option. The one we picked has no availability until end of November.
Given we really have no clue when life will return to some form of normality, we are alittle stuck as to what to do. Just waiting to see if they get back to us.
Don't know if either of the cancelled hols are with the same company.
We had a trip with An Advisor of Trips (AT or TA) (slightly changed to avoid naming names).
Their e-mail said reschedule for up to 12 months.
I rang them, AT they said the same.
Couldn't get through to my CC who I'd booked on, lines were 2hr queues or more!
Rang AT again after an IANAL friend suggested mentioning Frustration of contract. Refund due to my cc in 3-5 days. "Of course sir we though as you'd booked the holiday you'd still need one after all this was over.........)".
We had a trip with An Advisor of Trips (AT or TA) (slightly changed to avoid naming names).
Their e-mail said reschedule for up to 12 months.
I rang them, AT they said the same.
Couldn't get through to my CC who I'd booked on, lines were 2hr queues or more!
Rang AT again after an IANAL friend suggested mentioning Frustration of contract. Refund due to my cc in 3-5 days. "Of course sir we though as you'd booked the holiday you'd still need one after all this was over.........)".
Same boat here. Booked as a package. Ferry, camping and tickets for Le Mans. Obviously cancelled.
We have been told our tickets are valid for September now. No refund. We can’t go in September as we have something else planned although we could move Septembers event plans. So we might do it anyway. I’ve looked in the T&C and it does say they have the right to cancel and then offer vouchers no refunds. Again though just because it’s in there t&c doesn’t mean they can trump the law.
Consumer rights act 2014, specifically the section on services is what you need to be looking at as travel is classed as a service.
We have been told our tickets are valid for September now. No refund. We can’t go in September as we have something else planned although we could move Septembers event plans. So we might do it anyway. I’ve looked in the T&C and it does say they have the right to cancel and then offer vouchers no refunds. Again though just because it’s in there t&c doesn’t mean they can trump the law.
Consumer rights act 2014, specifically the section on services is what you need to be looking at as travel is classed as a service.
Hi Josh,
At last, my time has come. I actually know something about this subject rather than re-posting b
ks I read elsewhere.
As said, you need to look at Tc&Cs but not withstanding that, we all need to do our bit to help so some understanding is needed on both sides.
Put the legal situation to one side for a moment as you probably won't be taking them to court anytime soon.
6 months is not reasonable but once again, refer to Tc&Cs.
From the holiday company's position, they've got loads of these to deal with at a time their income has dropped to zero. They would probably collapse if they refunded everyone. I'm sure you don't want that.
I run holiday lets and here is my policy for comparison.
Guests who are unable to travel due to the restrictions are being offered a change of date with the only charge being if the rate changes so you can't move a week in March to Christmas and pay the same, you will have to pay the difference.
2021 prices have been frozen to 2020 rates with just Easter variations.
Anyone who has paid a deposit, we keep the deposit but will transfer to the new date.
Anyone who has paid in full, we will keep their money and issue a credit unless they are either in your position or are in financial hardship and need that money now. They can pay for their holiday 8 weeks before arrival.
So far, everyone has rebooked for later dates and I've only had to refund 1 payment to a person who has lost all their income and had no holiday insurance. Quite honestly, if they cancel altogether due to the current situation, they will get all their money back as I don't want unhappy customers.
My estimated potential loss is huge but within my personal capability to support it so whilst it's s
t, it's not the end of my world.
Other businesses facing larger losses might have to have a less understanding position.
If I was you, I would choose a new date after 6 months which suits you and ask them to transfer your holiday to that.
At last, my time has come. I actually know something about this subject rather than re-posting b
ks I read elsewhere.As said, you need to look at Tc&Cs but not withstanding that, we all need to do our bit to help so some understanding is needed on both sides.
Put the legal situation to one side for a moment as you probably won't be taking them to court anytime soon.
6 months is not reasonable but once again, refer to Tc&Cs.
From the holiday company's position, they've got loads of these to deal with at a time their income has dropped to zero. They would probably collapse if they refunded everyone. I'm sure you don't want that.
I run holiday lets and here is my policy for comparison.
Guests who are unable to travel due to the restrictions are being offered a change of date with the only charge being if the rate changes so you can't move a week in March to Christmas and pay the same, you will have to pay the difference.
2021 prices have been frozen to 2020 rates with just Easter variations.
Anyone who has paid a deposit, we keep the deposit but will transfer to the new date.
Anyone who has paid in full, we will keep their money and issue a credit unless they are either in your position or are in financial hardship and need that money now. They can pay for their holiday 8 weeks before arrival.
So far, everyone has rebooked for later dates and I've only had to refund 1 payment to a person who has lost all their income and had no holiday insurance. Quite honestly, if they cancel altogether due to the current situation, they will get all their money back as I don't want unhappy customers.
My estimated potential loss is huge but within my personal capability to support it so whilst it's s
t, it's not the end of my world.Other businesses facing larger losses might have to have a less understanding position.
If I was you, I would choose a new date after 6 months which suits you and ask them to transfer your holiday to that.
Thanks EagleEye, that helps out our position aswell.
Im not that bothered about a refund aslong as we get to go at some point in the future. I've used the same booking agent for years and certainly don't want to see them go under as we have built up a good relationship.
If they offer us a credit, I'd be more than happy with that aswell, gives us a few more options then to change location and dates.
Still waiting to hear back but can imagine they are swamped at the moment.
Fingers crossed it works out well for everyone.
Im not that bothered about a refund aslong as we get to go at some point in the future. I've used the same booking agent for years and certainly don't want to see them go under as we have built up a good relationship.
If they offer us a credit, I'd be more than happy with that aswell, gives us a few more options then to change location and dates.
Still waiting to hear back but can imagine they are swamped at the moment.
Fingers crossed it works out well for everyone.
I also run a travel business. We are offering all clients with holidays booked in May and June the option to move to a later date in this season (paying more if in a more expensive season). Our season ends in October. If that is not possible, then I will reluctantly move them to 2021 season and carry their deposit forward.
There is no way, many travel companies will be in a position to offer refunds.
It is going to be a disastrous year financially and a horrendous winter to weather through, plus the knock on effects of carrying deposits through to 2021. So it is going to be 2 years of pain to unwind this situation.
Trying to enforce T&C's in this current situation is just not reasonable. You will have to work with them and try and reach a solution that works for both parties.
There is no way, many travel companies will be in a position to offer refunds.
It is going to be a disastrous year financially and a horrendous winter to weather through, plus the knock on effects of carrying deposits through to 2021. So it is going to be 2 years of pain to unwind this situation.
Trying to enforce T&C's in this current situation is just not reasonable. You will have to work with them and try and reach a solution that works for both parties.
Eagleye said:
Hi Josh,
At last, my time has come. I actually know something about this subject rather than re-posting b
ks I read elsewhere.
As said, you need to look at Tc&Cs but not withstanding that, we all need to do our bit to help so some understanding is needed on both sides.
Put the legal situation to one side for a moment as you probably won't be taking them to court anytime soon.
6 months is not reasonable but once again, refer to Tc&Cs.
From the holiday company's position, they've got loads of these to deal with at a time their income has dropped to zero. They would probably collapse if they refunded everyone. I'm sure you don't want that.
I run holiday lets and here is my policy for comparison.
Guests who are unable to travel due to the restrictions are being offered a change of date with the only charge being if the rate changes so you can't move a week in March to Christmas and pay the same, you will have to pay the difference.
2021 prices have been frozen to 2020 rates with just Easter variations.
Anyone who has paid a deposit, we keep the deposit but will transfer to the new date.
Anyone who has paid in full, we will keep their money and issue a credit unless they are either in your position or are in financial hardship and need that money now. They can pay for their holiday 8 weeks before arrival.
So far, everyone has rebooked for later dates and I've only had to refund 1 payment to a person who has lost all their income and had no holiday insurance. Quite honestly, if they cancel altogether due to the current situation, they will get all their money back as I don't want unhappy customers.
My estimated potential loss is huge but within my personal capability to support it so whilst it's s
t, it's not the end of my world.
Other businesses facing larger losses might have to have a less understanding position.
If I was you, I would choose a new date after 6 months which suits you and ask them to transfer your holiday to that.
I rent a holiday home in France and broadly, this is what we intend doing. At the time of booking, we always recommend that guests take out holiday insurance, so our T&Cs say that we will provide a letter for their insurers confirming any payments that have been made to us.At last, my time has come. I actually know something about this subject rather than re-posting b
ks I read elsewhere.As said, you need to look at Tc&Cs but not withstanding that, we all need to do our bit to help so some understanding is needed on both sides.
Put the legal situation to one side for a moment as you probably won't be taking them to court anytime soon.
6 months is not reasonable but once again, refer to Tc&Cs.
From the holiday company's position, they've got loads of these to deal with at a time their income has dropped to zero. They would probably collapse if they refunded everyone. I'm sure you don't want that.
I run holiday lets and here is my policy for comparison.
Guests who are unable to travel due to the restrictions are being offered a change of date with the only charge being if the rate changes so you can't move a week in March to Christmas and pay the same, you will have to pay the difference.
2021 prices have been frozen to 2020 rates with just Easter variations.
Anyone who has paid a deposit, we keep the deposit but will transfer to the new date.
Anyone who has paid in full, we will keep their money and issue a credit unless they are either in your position or are in financial hardship and need that money now. They can pay for their holiday 8 weeks before arrival.
So far, everyone has rebooked for later dates and I've only had to refund 1 payment to a person who has lost all their income and had no holiday insurance. Quite honestly, if they cancel altogether due to the current situation, they will get all their money back as I don't want unhappy customers.
My estimated potential loss is huge but within my personal capability to support it so whilst it's s
t, it's not the end of my world.Other businesses facing larger losses might have to have a less understanding position.
If I was you, I would choose a new date after 6 months which suits you and ask them to transfer your holiday to that.
Most of our guests are returners and so are known to us individually, so what is in the T&Cs and what makes commercial common sense are somewhat at odds, in reality.
The thing is that to accept a voucher the travel agent has already priced up later in the year and it’s another 1k on top. Doesn’t work for me. Would have gone for it had it not cost more.
I’d have thought I’m doing them a favour allowing them to move my holiday - so I didn’t appreciate them trying to make extra money out of it.
I’d have thought I’m doing them a favour allowing them to move my holiday - so I didn’t appreciate them trying to make extra money out of it.
alistair1234 said:
Surprised by some of these stories, Air BnB allowed a free cancelation and full refund of any bookings made before 14/3.
I had a tour of Italy booked in summer that I have unsurprisingly shelved for now. AirBNB have already given me full refunds but Ryanair and BA as well as some events organisers are holding off on cancellations until weeks before.When I book Airbnb there is always a good selection of properties that are clearly freshly refurbished for the owner's new venture into holiday lets... I feel bad for them as whilst there is always risk in any business venture it must be heart-breaking when you have sunk all your savings and a great deal of time into it.
AirBnB work on a very different model and very different overhead distribution.
From a renter, it's pretty good except they do very little to protect you from crap properties.
At least the likes of cottages.com vet every property and the likes of my small business, have personal pride in what we're doing and aren't just in it for the money. Easy to say when it's not a primary income stream but everyone ends up with a good deal.
From a renter, it's pretty good except they do very little to protect you from crap properties.
At least the likes of cottages.com vet every property and the likes of my small business, have personal pride in what we're doing and aren't just in it for the money. Easy to say when it's not a primary income stream but everyone ends up with a good deal.
A few of us in a car club booked for a trip to Jersey to a specific event. We used the travel firm that the club uses as an “official” supplier. Jersey Festival in June.
It has been cancelled but most, if not all, of us took the option to carry it forward to 2021.
It covers ferry, hotel, festival tickets.
Scenic Car Tours are the organisers and we are happy to take the next year option instead of refunds etc..
We planned to travel a day early and stay overnight in Poole (ferry port) with a stop at the Haynes museum en route. This is not part of the package and booked separately. Most of us are keeping this option open and watching travel restrictions. If we can travel then we will extend the hotel nights and have a trip to the Poole area as a nice break.
If not we will look at cancellation options should the need arise.
It has been cancelled but most, if not all, of us took the option to carry it forward to 2021.
It covers ferry, hotel, festival tickets.
Scenic Car Tours are the organisers and we are happy to take the next year option instead of refunds etc..
We planned to travel a day early and stay overnight in Poole (ferry port) with a stop at the Haynes museum en route. This is not part of the package and booked separately. Most of us are keeping this option open and watching travel restrictions. If we can travel then we will extend the hotel nights and have a trip to the Poole area as a nice break.
If not we will look at cancellation options should the need arise.
V8fan said:
i think I read somewhere that part of the emergency legislation was that holiday companies could offer vouchers or credit for future use to help with cashflow, but that customers would still have the right of refund if they requested it.
I've nothing booked personally so you'd need to check.
They are changing the rules, retrospectively which is harsh but understandable. I know ATOL etc will move to a voucher valid for 2 years, underwritten by government. If, at the end of the 2 years, you haven't redeemed the voucher then you can get the cash. I've nothing booked personally so you'd need to check.
Forums | Speed, Plod & the Law | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


