Travel Insurance Claim
Discussion
I posted this in the Holidays forum but thought I might get a better response here if anyone can help/advise?
On 12 March Mrs BC and I boarded a BA flight to Buenos Aires intending to join an Amazon cruise. After boarding the Captain made an announcement advising all non Argentina passport holders to disembark as we’d be obliged to quarantine on arrival. I checked the Foreign Office website and sure enough the advice had just changed, literally between us checking in and boarding the aircraft. Obviously we took the advice and disembarked. It was almost midnight so we stayed in an airport hotel and went home in a taxi the next day.
BA offered and issued a voucher for the cost of the flights . We didn’t want this so claiming our travel insurance. Axa approved the claim for the hotel & taxi but declined the flight cost. From the screenshot below the reason is the voucher but we can’t use it. Any thoughts or advice?

On 12 March Mrs BC and I boarded a BA flight to Buenos Aires intending to join an Amazon cruise. After boarding the Captain made an announcement advising all non Argentina passport holders to disembark as we’d be obliged to quarantine on arrival. I checked the Foreign Office website and sure enough the advice had just changed, literally between us checking in and boarding the aircraft. Obviously we took the advice and disembarked. It was almost midnight so we stayed in an airport hotel and went home in a taxi the next day.
BA offered and issued a voucher for the cost of the flights . We didn’t want this so claiming our travel insurance. Axa approved the claim for the hotel & taxi but declined the flight cost. From the screenshot below the reason is the voucher but we can’t use it. Any thoughts or advice?
Your beef is with BA not the insurance company. The insurance co is not going to pay out for something you can claim from another company.
BA legally have to offer a refund or a voucher and obviously it is their interest to push the voucher but you can refuse it and insist on a refund. HOWEVER, in your case it sounds like you have already accepted the voucher(s). BA make it very clear that once you have accepted the vouchers that is the end of their commitment and you will not be able to exchange them for cash later.
If you haven't accepted the vouchers get back to BA insisting they refund you in cash.
If you have accepted the vouchers you are probably on your own.
You could try appealing to the better nature of both BA and AXA but I wouldn't hold your breath!
BA legally have to offer a refund or a voucher and obviously it is their interest to push the voucher but you can refuse it and insist on a refund. HOWEVER, in your case it sounds like you have already accepted the voucher(s). BA make it very clear that once you have accepted the vouchers that is the end of their commitment and you will not be able to exchange them for cash later.
If you haven't accepted the vouchers get back to BA insisting they refund you in cash.
If you have accepted the vouchers you are probably on your own.
You could try appealing to the better nature of both BA and AXA but I wouldn't hold your breath!
NGee said:
Your beef is with BA not the insurance company. The insurance co is not going to pay out for something you can claim from another company.
BA legally have to offer a refund or a voucher and obviously it is their interest to push the voucher but you can refuse it and insist on a refund. HOWEVER, in your case it sounds like you have already accepted the voucher(s). BA make it very clear that once you have accepted the vouchers that is the end of their commitment and you will not be able to exchange them for cash later.
If you haven't accepted the vouchers get back to BA insisting they refund you in cash.
If you have accepted the vouchers you are probably on your own.
You could try appealing to the better nature of both BA and AXA but I wouldn't hold your breath!
BA wouldn’t refund as the flight went and we could have gone with it. I can see their point. As I said the travel advice changed while we were at the airport.BA legally have to offer a refund or a voucher and obviously it is their interest to push the voucher but you can refuse it and insist on a refund. HOWEVER, in your case it sounds like you have already accepted the voucher(s). BA make it very clear that once you have accepted the vouchers that is the end of their commitment and you will not be able to exchange them for cash later.
If you haven't accepted the vouchers get back to BA insisting they refund you in cash.
If you have accepted the vouchers you are probably on your own.
You could try appealing to the better nature of both BA and AXA but I wouldn't hold your breath!
I’d add that AXA have accepted part of the claim. They paid for the airport hotel & taxi home.
bad company said:
BA wouldn’t refund as the flight went and we could have gone with it. I can see their point. As I said the travel advice changed while we were at the airport.
I’d add that AXA have accepted part of the claim. They paid for the airport hotel & taxi home.
You say BA wouldn't refund but in your OP you said BA issued vouchers? Surely that's a refund!I’d add that AXA have accepted part of the claim. They paid for the airport hotel & taxi home.
If the flight was cancelled, I could see the argument for a refund over a voucher.
However, BA probably argue that you've no right to a refund as you had (Hobson's) choice whether to travel (and spend 14 days in quarantine) or not travel. BA only advised you of the situation and your options, and I assume those who chose to remain on the flight were flown to their destination.
I'd expect a similar argument from the insurance company - and them pointing out that you've been offered a voucher for the cost of the flights, so there's no loss for you to claim (again, it was your choice to refuse the voucher).
I'd guess the voucher is going to be the best offer you'll get - if it's still on the table.
BTW, was the cruise also cancelled?
However, BA probably argue that you've no right to a refund as you had (Hobson's) choice whether to travel (and spend 14 days in quarantine) or not travel. BA only advised you of the situation and your options, and I assume those who chose to remain on the flight were flown to their destination.
I'd expect a similar argument from the insurance company - and them pointing out that you've been offered a voucher for the cost of the flights, so there's no loss for you to claim (again, it was your choice to refuse the voucher).
I'd guess the voucher is going to be the best offer you'll get - if it's still on the table.
BTW, was the cruise also cancelled?
bad company said:
NGee said:
You say BA wouldn't refund but in your OP you said BA issued vouchers? Surely that's a refund!
Are vouchers a refund? We don’t really want to fly again and at the moment it’s impossible to use them as there’s nowhere to go.If you haven’t got your voucher claim in, you’ve got until the end of August to do so.
Edited by bigandclever on Saturday 25th July 11:56
bad company said:
Are vouchers a refund?
Yes. If you wanted cash you should not have accepted the vouchers.Not having a go, it's very easy to be wise after the event and BA would far rather you had the vouchers!
I do understand your predicament and do feel sorry for you, but unfortunately this might be one you can't win.
Lots of info on this on MSE
bigandclever said:
bad company said:
NGee said:
You say BA wouldn't refund but in your OP you said BA issued vouchers? Surely that's a refund!
Are vouchers a refund? We don’t really want to fly again and at the moment it’s impossible to use them as there’s nowhere to go.The 2 vouchers I have are valid for 2 years, are you really never going to fly with BA again?
mmm-five said:
If the flight was cancelled, I could see the argument for a refund over a voucher.
However, BA probably argue that you've no right to a refund as you had (Hobson's) choice whether to travel (and spend 14 days in quarantine) or not travel. BA only advised you of the situation and your options, and I assume those who chose to remain on the flight were flown to their destination.
I'd expect a similar argument from the insurance company - and them pointing out that you've been offered a voucher for the cost of the flights, so there's no loss for you to claim (again, it was your choice to refuse the voucher).
I'd guess the voucher is going to be the best offer you'll get - if it's still on the table.
BTW, was the cruise also cancelled?
BA sent the voucher, I didn’t ask for it.However, BA probably argue that you've no right to a refund as you had (Hobson's) choice whether to travel (and spend 14 days in quarantine) or not travel. BA only advised you of the situation and your options, and I assume those who chose to remain on the flight were flown to their destination.
I'd expect a similar argument from the insurance company - and them pointing out that you've been offered a voucher for the cost of the flights, so there's no loss for you to claim (again, it was your choice to refuse the voucher).
I'd guess the voucher is going to be the best offer you'll get - if it's still on the table.
BTW, was the cruise also cancelled?
When we disembarked the aircraft the cruise was still due to go. It cancelled before the plane arrived in Buenos Aires though.
mmm-five said:
If the flight was cancelled, I could see the argument for a refund over a voucher.
However, BA probably argue that you've no right to a refund as you had (Hobson's) choice whether to travel (and spend 14 days in quarantine) or not travel. BA only advised you of the situation and your options, and I assume those who chose to remain on the flight were flown to their destination.
I'd expect a similar argument from the insurance company - and them pointing out that you've been offered a voucher for the cost of the flights, so there's no loss for you to claim (again, it was your choice to refuse the voucher).
I'd guess the voucher is going to be the best offer you'll get - if it's still on the table.
BTW, was the cruise also cancelled?
This all the way. BA has been very kind in offering a voucher. The flight was not cancelled, you chose not to fly (for valid reasons, but nothing to do with BA). Accept the voucher gratefully and use it next year.However, BA probably argue that you've no right to a refund as you had (Hobson's) choice whether to travel (and spend 14 days in quarantine) or not travel. BA only advised you of the situation and your options, and I assume those who chose to remain on the flight were flown to their destination.
I'd expect a similar argument from the insurance company - and them pointing out that you've been offered a voucher for the cost of the flights, so there's no loss for you to claim (again, it was your choice to refuse the voucher).
I'd guess the voucher is going to be the best offer you'll get - if it's still on the table.
BTW, was the cruise also cancelled?
martinbiz said:
This.
The 2 vouchers I have are valid for 2 years, are you really never going to fly with BA again?
The voucher says:-The 2 vouchers I have are valid for 2 years, are you really never going to fly with BA again?
This voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months from the date of the first flight in your original booking.
When you wish to make a booking in the future, please phone the British Airways contact centre. They can redeem the voucher against a future booking.
So I need to fly again before March 21 to use it, which is unlikely.
Forums | Speed, Plod & the Law | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


