Travel Insurance Terms and Conditions - Aaaarrrggghhhh
Discussion
I have an annual travel insurance policy with First Direct (underwritten by Aviva) that I have had in place for many years.
I've just phoned them to get clarity on the Covid-19 impact for a UK holiday - specifically the following:
Q: Am I covered if I have to cancel my UK-based trip due to the UK Government or local lockdown restrictions?
A: Yes, providing you have at least two consecutive nights’ pre-booked accommodation and there was no UK Government or local lockdown restrictions in place or had been announced at the time of taking out the cover or booking the trip, whichever is later.
My question was - If I book a holiday now, whilst we are in lockdown, and the lockdown restrictions are subsequently lifted (as we all expect they will be), but then another lockdown in imposed in several months time which impacts my holiday dates - will I be covered?
The answer I got was a flat NO. In order to be covered, I have to wait until the current lockdown is lifted before booking my holiday.
Is there any more risk to the insurance company if I book a holiday now vs. if I book the same holiday at the end of march? Given the way this pandemic has gone so far, the timing and mechanics of the lifting / easing of a lockdown have absolutely zero impact on the chances / timing / severity of the next lockdown.
I've just phoned them to get clarity on the Covid-19 impact for a UK holiday - specifically the following:
Q: Am I covered if I have to cancel my UK-based trip due to the UK Government or local lockdown restrictions?
A: Yes, providing you have at least two consecutive nights’ pre-booked accommodation and there was no UK Government or local lockdown restrictions in place or had been announced at the time of taking out the cover or booking the trip, whichever is later.
My question was - If I book a holiday now, whilst we are in lockdown, and the lockdown restrictions are subsequently lifted (as we all expect they will be), but then another lockdown in imposed in several months time which impacts my holiday dates - will I be covered?
The answer I got was a flat NO. In order to be covered, I have to wait until the current lockdown is lifted before booking my holiday.
Is there any more risk to the insurance company if I book a holiday now vs. if I book the same holiday at the end of march? Given the way this pandemic has gone so far, the timing and mechanics of the lifting / easing of a lockdown have absolutely zero impact on the chances / timing / severity of the next lockdown.
Should not really be an issue because if you are prevented from travelling because of Government edict then your booking is "frustrated" in which case you are entitled to a refund.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cma-to-...
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cma-to-...
omniflow said:
Is there any more risk to the insurance company if I book a holiday now vs. if I book the same holiday at the end of march? Given the way this pandemic has gone so far, the timing and mechanics of the lifting / easing of a lockdown have absolutely zero impact on the chances / timing / severity of the next lockdown.
I would say yes. I think, in general, the chances of staying in an existing lockdown which gets extended are higher than the chances of going into a new one having come out of a lockdown. That's just my guess, but as that's what all of us are doing, and no one actually knows, their stance makes perfect sense to me.
C350Akra said:
Why would you have travel insurance for travel within your own country? 
Most policies I have had cover international travel only?
UK Travel normally included, as it says, "providing you have at least two consecutive nights’ pre-booked accommodation". I've never had one without UK cover.
Most policies I have had cover international travel only?
TwigtheWonderkid said:
omniflow said:
Is there any more risk to the insurance company if I book a holiday now vs. if I book the same holiday at the end of march? Given the way this pandemic has gone so far, the timing and mechanics of the lifting / easing of a lockdown have absolutely zero impact on the chances / timing / severity of the next lockdown.
I would say yes. I think, in general, the chances of staying in an existing lockdown which gets extended are higher than the chances of going into a new one having come out of a lockdown. That's just my guess, but as that's what all of us are doing, and no one actually knows, their stance makes perfect sense to me.
I have zero issues with not being covered if the current lockdown is extended until July (the proposed date of my holiday). I think this is an extremely unlikely scenario anyway.
What I have an issue with is IF the current lockdown is lifted on say 8th March - great - but then something else happens, such as ANOTHER new variant and a NEW lockdown is imposed on, for example, 25th June lasting 6 weeks and covering the dates of my holiday. If I booked said holiday on 5th Feb, then I am not covered, but if I booked said holiday on 9th March then I am covered.
omniflow said:
Is there any more risk to the insurance company if I book a holiday now vs. if I book the same holiday at the end of march? Given the way this pandemic has gone so far, the timing and mechanics of the lifting / easing of a lockdown have absolutely zero impact on the chances / timing / severity of the next lockdown.
Irrelevant. Their policy, their rules.omniflow said:
TwigtheWonderkid said:
omniflow said:
Is there any more risk to the insurance company if I book a holiday now vs. if I book the same holiday at the end of march? Given the way this pandemic has gone so far, the timing and mechanics of the lifting / easing of a lockdown have absolutely zero impact on the chances / timing / severity of the next lockdown.
I would say yes. I think, in general, the chances of staying in an existing lockdown which gets extended are higher than the chances of going into a new one having come out of a lockdown. That's just my guess, but as that's what all of us are doing, and no one actually knows, their stance makes perfect sense to me.
I have zero issues with not being covered if the current lockdown is extended until July (the proposed date of my holiday). I think this is an extremely unlikely scenario anyway.
What I have an issue with is IF the current lockdown is lifted on say 8th March - great - but then something else happens, such as ANOTHER new variant and a NEW lockdown is imposed on, for example, 25th June lasting 6 weeks and covering the dates of my holiday. If I booked said holiday on 5th Feb, then I am not covered, but if I booked said holiday on 9th March then I am covered.
If you choose not to travel when you could then you are not - but then that would be the same with insurance.
The only issue would be if the hotel or holiday provider went bust. If its a tour operator then you should be covered under their bond/insurance, if its just a hotel then probably not.
Edited by Wombat3 on Wednesday 3rd February 13:14
CanAm said:
C350Akra said:
Why would you have travel insurance for travel within your own country? 
Most policies I have had cover international travel only?
UK Travel normally included, as it says, "providing you have at least two consecutive nights’ pre-booked accommodation". I've never had one without UK cover.
Most policies I have had cover international travel only?
omniflow said:
TwigtheWonderkid said:
omniflow said:
Is there any more risk to the insurance company if I book a holiday now vs. if I book the same holiday at the end of march? Given the way this pandemic has gone so far, the timing and mechanics of the lifting / easing of a lockdown have absolutely zero impact on the chances / timing / severity of the next lockdown.
I would say yes. I think, in general, the chances of staying in an existing lockdown which gets extended are higher than the chances of going into a new one having come out of a lockdown. That's just my guess, but as that's what all of us are doing, and no one actually knows, their stance makes perfect sense to me.
I have zero issues with not being covered if the current lockdown is extended until July (the proposed date of my holiday). I think this is an extremely unlikely scenario anyway.
What I have an issue with is IF the current lockdown is lifted on say 8th March - great - but then something else happens, such as ANOTHER new variant and a NEW lockdown is imposed on, for example, 25th June lasting 6 weeks and covering the dates of my holiday. If I booked said holiday on 5th Feb, then I am not covered, but if I booked said holiday on 9th March then I am covered.
Forums | Speed, Plod & the Law | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


