Pre-registered new car issue
Pre-registered new car issue
Author
Discussion

curiousgeorge

Original Poster:

9 posts

244 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
My girlfriend went to a main dealer to look at a new car a couple of weekends ago, and after a test drive in their demo decided she wanted one.

They had what they told us was a brand new un-registered example with delivery miles only on it on their forecourt, which she agreed to buy. A deposit was given over the phone the next day and a few days later we returned so she could sign the order form.

We were then told that they had registered it to drive it to their stand on a local agricultural show but promised us DVLA would de-register it and so it would be her name as the first and only owner.

A week has passed. I have just spoken to the garage to enquire when we can collect it, and have been told that DVLA have refused the de-registration paperwork, so although it is a brand new car with only delivery miles on it (plus no more than 10 to get it to the show and back), the V5 will show the first owner as the garage, and my girlfriend will be the second owner.

Understandably, she has gone mental when imparted with this news.

The garage have offered the 1st service free (£180), some accessories totally approx £100, two tickets to the MotorShow, a meal for the two of us to the value of £70-80 and a letter explaining their cock-up for any potential buyer to see. We’re not interested in the MotorShow tickets particularly.

So, on a brand new £29,000 sports car, what’s the general opinion on the level of compensation offered in respect to any potential loss in value due to it essentially now being an ex-demo car.

I personally don’t think it will make any difference at all and she should shout at them a bit but take the offer. She is currently still incandescent with rage and all for cancelling the car.

CG

Parrot of Doom

23,075 posts

264 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Just order a new one if its a big deal.

pdV6

16,442 posts

291 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Parrot of Doom said:
Just order a new one if its a big deal.

curiousgeorge

Original Poster:

9 posts

244 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
A new one would entail waiting until the end of September at the earliest. This one she can drive away Saturday morning.

But that's not the issue at hand.

splatspeed

7,491 posts

281 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
thats their first offer hold out for more and threaten breach of contract

w1how

1,507 posts

245 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
I would say that compensation is dependant on make/model but I would expect a price reduction of at least £1000 for their error.If you keep the car for years it wont make any difference to its secondhand value but if your girlfriend decides after a couple of months that the car is not for her and wants to change,the next owner would be the cars third owner in as many months and may deter some people from buying it.

pdV6

16,442 posts

291 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
I don't think value will be particularly badly affected - surely the future value will be mostly based on condition & mileage?

Alternatively, offer to pay a 2nd hand price rather than new...

Edited by pdV6 on Monday 10th July 12:30

cooperman

4,428 posts

280 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
The BIG questions is why they registered. Any reputable dealer would use either a trailer/flatbed truck or trade plates to take the car to a show. There is no reason for it to have been registered. Of course the DVLA won't de-register it - it's been on the road and has been taxed. Thus it's a second-hand car in strictly legal terms, albeit a low mileage one.
I have a friend who bought a car in similar circumstances. It had 1.6 miles on the clock, but had been registered. About 8 months later it was involved in a rear end shunt and the insurance company's approved repairer reported that it had been involved in an accident earlier, but had not been repaired properly and was, technically, not roadworthy when involved in the second accident. A full technical report was provided by the repairer.
There was a furore, as the vehicle was supplied as a new vehicle by a main dealer who tried to blame the manufacturer. I got involved and wrote the letter my friend sent pointing out that with 1.6 miles on the clock the speedo had clearly been 'adjusted', as the post PDI road test and movement around the forecourt would have added more than 1.6 miles. We pointed out that we were about to make formal complaints to the Motor Agents Ass'n, the Trading Standards Office and the Safety Council in addition to considering legal procedures for fraud. A brand new car appeared very quickly with a loan car provided in the meantime, all at no further charge. A lesson in how (dis)honest main dealers can be!

splatspeed

7,491 posts

281 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
did the charge you a registration fee????

Balmoral Green

42,561 posts

278 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Parrot of Doom said:
Just order a new one if its a big deal.
And its not a big deal anyway.

SJobson

13,872 posts

294 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
pdV6 said:
Alternatively, offer to pay a 2nd hand price rather than new...
Seems the obvious answer - a pre-registered Ford Fiesta is usually thousands cheaper than a brand new one, after all.

Stubby Pete

2,488 posts

276 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Sounds like they its one of those "pre-registered" cars that are purely to get the sales figures up. I'd put money on it being first registered late in the month, possibly around April.

Bottom line is the car is now second hand. Either negotiate a deal that you are happy with, or order a new one.

Polarbert

17,936 posts

261 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
What is the car out of interest?

I would definately try to swindle some more free stuff. But I would definately accept the car. All this owners thing is rubbish. If someone can see that a car has been registered by a garage then I don't see what the problem is.

smilerbaker

4,071 posts

245 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
walk away the dealers are trying to shaft you, so who knows what else they have done.

deva link

26,934 posts

275 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Are there any other pre-registered /ex-demo versions of the same car that could be used for price comparisons?

OTOH, if the car's one that's in demand, and it's on a fair lead-time, then the dealer might not be bothered as they'll be able to sell it anyway (although we're only a few wks away from the next registration change to 56, so that won't help its value if they can't shift it).

Vesuvius 996

35,829 posts

301 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Offer to pay the price of an ex demo. If not, walk.

Very dodgy.

Kinky

39,944 posts

299 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
I'd walk.

it sounds to me like the dealer is not telling the full truth/story. And if this is the case here, what else are they not telling?

It's a buyers market out there - with plenty of cars around to be seriously haggled for.

Yes - she could drive away this saturday in the new car - but the novelty will have worn off in 3 months time. Either re-order a [truly] new car for Sept. or go elsewhere.

K

R300 CYA

241 posts

258 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Undoubtly the car will have been pre registered to hit an RVA target probably on the last day of a month, this is common practice however they should not have told you it would be de-registered because that simply does not happen. What saving are you getting on the car? Bearing in mind the dealer will have recieved extra support from the manufacturer to register it as pre-reg the saving should be fairly substantial compared to the price of a brand new vehicle.

curiousgeorge

Original Poster:

9 posts

244 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
They are claiming there was some kind of administrative cock-up and it wasn't to bulk up thier targets, but I guess they would say that. I personally have bought new cars from this dealer before and they've always been good to deal with.

List is £29,200 - I negotiated that down to £28,000 + some goodies prior to this. Pretty sure g/f is going to can the order anyway but would it *really* make a difference to future value? I'm not so sure it would.

Limited searching has not yet revealed a similar spec car available now; plenty of last years model though, but less power/spec/quality.

Vesuvius 996

35,829 posts

301 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
They lied.

Walk.

End of.