I sold my car and the guy won’t pick it up… what can I do?
Discussion
Hi all, I know this has been covered in many forms, but there are a few specifics which make this different and I’m keen to get some advice…
Three months ago I sold my Porsche via car and classic. I bought it in the 80’s for not much more than the cost of my weekly shop, things like that weren’t worth much then … anyway…it sold for almost 20k which was an amazing result for the condition. The buyer transferred the funds to the auction house and then it was time to arrange collection. The way car and classic work, the buyer comes to collect and once they’re happy that it is in front of them, we both press a link to confirm the transaction. Then the money is released from the auction house into my account, minus their percentage.
So a while goes by and I get one phone call from the buyer saying he will collect within 10 days. Then I hear nothing for a couple of weeks and he ignores my phone calls etc. Obviously at this stage I’m frustrated as he won the auction without viewing the car, paid for it, but I don’t see that money until he clicks the link to release it. And naturally, I sold the car because I needed the money!! So I call up C&C and explain that I’ve heard nothing etc. They get in touch with him after over a week of trying to get hold of him. He says he can’t collect until after Christmas. So I said, that’s fine, but I need the money released. So he clicks the link and the money is sent to my account. All is well I thought.
Over the last couple of weeks I tried calling him to arrange collection but he would ignore the calls. So once again I call car and classic and say that he’s ignoring my calls and emails and I need the car gone by the end of the month as it’s taking up a lot of space, along with the vast amount of parts it comes with. Then they call him and miraculously get hold of him first time… apparently he was pretty rude on the phone and totally disinterested. He said he was out of the country for the foreseeable future and does not know when he will get the car. Again, the chap at C&C said he was totally disinterested and was seemingly annoyed that his time was being wasted! Lord, imagine having enough money to spend 20k and not care. Anyway… they suggest I send him a final email saying that I need the car gone by the end of the month. So I did that…no response. Here are some other key details…
- the V5 is still in my name, as he never gave me his address and C&C can’t disclose it due to data protection etc. BUT I technically no longer own the car as the funds have gone through and the auction terms bind the sale etc. But it’s worth noting the V5 is still in my name.
- it has now been 2 months since the sale went through.
- he won’t respond to any correspondence, even when I offered to arrange transport on his behalf…nothing.
So what can I do? I don’t want to declare it abandoned, as it is technically on my private land and the owner has abandoned it for the time being at least. If the council or police get hold of it, eh I just don’t want that. I’ve taken care of it for 40 years…
I can’t offer to buy it back as I don’t have the money, it was sold to fund medical care.
I can store it, but I don’t want to…I need the space and frankly the guy has treated everyone with such a great deal of arrogance and rudeness, I don’t want to do him a favour when he won’t even talk to me!
So again, what can I do? I know I could charge storage, but I believe I would have to send him a letter from a solicitor to actually make this valid, ie, if you don’t collect the car by this date, you will be charged X amount a month until collection.
But any ideas would be appreciated, I wish I didn’t have to ever sell it. But life happens and now this!
Three months ago I sold my Porsche via car and classic. I bought it in the 80’s for not much more than the cost of my weekly shop, things like that weren’t worth much then … anyway…it sold for almost 20k which was an amazing result for the condition. The buyer transferred the funds to the auction house and then it was time to arrange collection. The way car and classic work, the buyer comes to collect and once they’re happy that it is in front of them, we both press a link to confirm the transaction. Then the money is released from the auction house into my account, minus their percentage.
So a while goes by and I get one phone call from the buyer saying he will collect within 10 days. Then I hear nothing for a couple of weeks and he ignores my phone calls etc. Obviously at this stage I’m frustrated as he won the auction without viewing the car, paid for it, but I don’t see that money until he clicks the link to release it. And naturally, I sold the car because I needed the money!! So I call up C&C and explain that I’ve heard nothing etc. They get in touch with him after over a week of trying to get hold of him. He says he can’t collect until after Christmas. So I said, that’s fine, but I need the money released. So he clicks the link and the money is sent to my account. All is well I thought.
Over the last couple of weeks I tried calling him to arrange collection but he would ignore the calls. So once again I call car and classic and say that he’s ignoring my calls and emails and I need the car gone by the end of the month as it’s taking up a lot of space, along with the vast amount of parts it comes with. Then they call him and miraculously get hold of him first time… apparently he was pretty rude on the phone and totally disinterested. He said he was out of the country for the foreseeable future and does not know when he will get the car. Again, the chap at C&C said he was totally disinterested and was seemingly annoyed that his time was being wasted! Lord, imagine having enough money to spend 20k and not care. Anyway… they suggest I send him a final email saying that I need the car gone by the end of the month. So I did that…no response. Here are some other key details…
- the V5 is still in my name, as he never gave me his address and C&C can’t disclose it due to data protection etc. BUT I technically no longer own the car as the funds have gone through and the auction terms bind the sale etc. But it’s worth noting the V5 is still in my name.
- it has now been 2 months since the sale went through.
- he won’t respond to any correspondence, even when I offered to arrange transport on his behalf…nothing.
So what can I do? I don’t want to declare it abandoned, as it is technically on my private land and the owner has abandoned it for the time being at least. If the council or police get hold of it, eh I just don’t want that. I’ve taken care of it for 40 years…
I can’t offer to buy it back as I don’t have the money, it was sold to fund medical care.
I can store it, but I don’t want to…I need the space and frankly the guy has treated everyone with such a great deal of arrogance and rudeness, I don’t want to do him a favour when he won’t even talk to me!
So again, what can I do? I know I could charge storage, but I believe I would have to send him a letter from a solicitor to actually make this valid, ie, if you don’t collect the car by this date, you will be charged X amount a month until collection.
But any ideas would be appreciated, I wish I didn’t have to ever sell it. But life happens and now this!
Scrump said:
You have not yet received any money and the car is still in your possession and registered to you.
You talk about it being abandoned by the owner etc. , as I see it you are still the owner so bear that in mind in whatever you choose to do with it.
But OP says he has now received the funds. That is a bit of a head scratcher I must say. Seems fishy but hard to see how it could be fraud if the cash has changed hands...You talk about it being abandoned by the owner etc. , as I see it you are still the owner so bear that in mind in whatever you choose to do with it.
Scrump said:
You have not yet received any money and the car is still in your possession and registered to you.
You talk about it being abandoned by the owner etc. , as I see it you are still the owner so bear that in mind in whatever you choose to do with it.
OP says "So he clicks the link and the money is sent to my account. All is well I thought."You talk about it being abandoned by the owner etc. , as I see it you are still the owner so bear that in mind in whatever you choose to do with it.
I read that as the money has been actually received ?
As such c and c have also discharged their obligations presumably and hence won’t now get involved.
If you have tried the email route before I would try again but be firm / much firmer this time but polite nevertheless.
Give a date when you need the car gone by and note the V5 remains in your name.
Clearly the money means less to him than perhaps it should but that’s not your concern.
Also give a date for a physical reply.
Then depending on whether a reply received etc prepare to send a final email with what your plans for the car actually are.
As such c and c have also discharged their obligations presumably and hence won’t now get involved.
If you have tried the email route before I would try again but be firm / much firmer this time but polite nevertheless.
Give a date when you need the car gone by and note the V5 remains in your name.
Clearly the money means less to him than perhaps it should but that’s not your concern.
Also give a date for a physical reply.
Then depending on whether a reply received etc prepare to send a final email with what your plans for the car actually are.
alscar said:
I read that as the money has been actually received ?
As such c and c have also discharged their obligations presumably and hence won’t now get involved.
If you have tried the email route before I would try again but be firm / much firmer this time but polite nevertheless.
Give a date when you need the car gone by and note the V5 remains in your name.
Clearly the money means less to him than perhaps it should but that’s not your concern.
Also give a date for a physical reply.
Then depending on whether a reply received etc prepare to send a final email with what your plans for the car actually are.
Just to confirm to anyone unsure. Money is received! I suppose though the only issue is, if he doesn’t reply to a firmer email with dates etc…what can I do with the car? As mentioned, I don’t want to hand it over to the council or police. And if I am to start charging storage for it, I assume I need a solicitor to get involved to actually make that actionable? As such c and c have also discharged their obligations presumably and hence won’t now get involved.
If you have tried the email route before I would try again but be firm / much firmer this time but polite nevertheless.
Give a date when you need the car gone by and note the V5 remains in your name.
Clearly the money means less to him than perhaps it should but that’s not your concern.
Also give a date for a physical reply.
Then depending on whether a reply received etc prepare to send a final email with what your plans for the car actually are.
cchudson said:
Just to confirm to anyone unsure. Money is received! I suppose though the only issue is, if he doesn’t reply to a firmer email with dates etc…what can I do with the car? As mentioned, I don’t want to hand it over to the council or police. And if I am to start charging storage for it, I assume I need a solicitor to get involved to actually make that actionable?
Hopefully he will respond to your polite but firm email - however if he doesn’t ?I think your second email shouldn’t necessarily be too aggressive but just point out that at that stage you don’t want to inform the Police but given you have now been paid for it but the legal paperwork is still in your name and the lack of storage space you are running out of options on his behalf.
Incidentally what about Insurance - I assume you cancelled yours ?
cchudson said:
Another note, if I am to start charging rent. I suppose there is an amount that it cannot exceed? Otherwise I could say rent is 20k a month!
What would a local to you proper storage site charge per month ?Then maybe charge 50% ?
Possibly a bit academic though if money isn’t important to him.
You have nothing to lose from the sending of your first email though.
What happens if the car deteriorates under your care? you obviously don't want to spend anything on it, but then buyer turns up in a few months and disputes the condition. Is the transaction genuinely complete or can he ask for a refund later on?
I would give a deadline or car will be moved to a storage facility, can I have your details for that please?
I would give a deadline or car will be moved to a storage facility, can I have your details for that please?
Well....this guys got it al wrong! Imagine buying a Porsche, sending the money and then not wanting to get your new toy.
He is either spending his missus money before a messy divorce and not wanting the asset, or genuinely could be a medical thing going on with the poor chap. Have you tried looking him up on Facebook? Maybe reach out to a contact ask what's going on?
He is either spending his missus money before a messy divorce and not wanting the asset, or genuinely could be a medical thing going on with the poor chap. Have you tried looking him up on Facebook? Maybe reach out to a contact ask what's going on?
johnoz said:
Sell it for a second time, you may get more for it !
Then if that all goes through refund the original buyer, or just keep it till he remakes contact.
This is exactly what I did a few years ago when a buyer left a substantial 4 figure deposit and then refused to speak to me. Gave up and sold it again after 4 months of excuses from his ‘business partner’. 9 years later I still have his money, he never did get back in touch but is still trading as a car dealer. Then if that all goes through refund the original buyer, or just keep it till he remakes contact.
Nowt as queer as folk, as they say in God’s own country.
Put the money in a high interest savings account. Send emails, texts, carrier pigeons and tell the bloke you're going to return the money and sell it elsewhere as it's gone on too long.
Then sell it elsewhere. If he turns up, money is ready to hand over and you'll have made a few quid. If he doesn't collect at all....then win for you.
Then sell it elsewhere. If he turns up, money is ready to hand over and you'll have made a few quid. If he doesn't collect at all....then win for you.
Forums | General Gassing | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff




