DVLA and troubles of re-registering my Cat-S car
Discussion
I recently experienced a car accident and filed a claim for the damages. My vehicle was classified as Cat-S, but I negotiated to keep it. I managed to repair it on the same day (it was fine and didn't really had any structural damage, so the mechanic just did a wheel inspection for free) and I immediately conducted a new MOT (as I was told it was needed after a Cat-S designation).
According to the government website, to keep a category C or S vehicle, I need to:
However, my insurance company told me over a phone call that they do not deal with the DVLA and only record the car as Cat-S in their internal database.
I have a few queries:
I could follow the law, disregard the insurance company’s advice, and directly send a V62 to the DVLA to obtain a new V5C. But I have the following apprehensions:
1. Am I legally allowed to use the car now? (while this process of re-registering is being done -- it can take weeks to get a reply from DVLA).
2. Is there a possibility that the DVLA might request proof of repair, before allowing me to use the car?
3. Is there a risk that the DVLA might invalidate my recent MOT? I'm worried they might demand yet another fresh MOT by the time they process my documents and invalidate the one I just completed (after receiving the Cat-S designation). In such a scenario, I could potentially be pulled over by the police and penalized for an invalidated MOT without my knowledge. Is this a plausible scenario?
4. Alternatively, I am considering informing the DVLA at a later stage when I decide to sell the car, or not at all (if I decide to scrap the car in a few years). Could this pose any realistic legal implications?
According to the government website, to keep a category C or S vehicle, I need to:
- send the complete log book to your insurance company
- apply for a free duplicate log book using form V62
However, my insurance company told me over a phone call that they do not deal with the DVLA and only record the car as Cat-S in their internal database.
I have a few queries:
I could follow the law, disregard the insurance company’s advice, and directly send a V62 to the DVLA to obtain a new V5C. But I have the following apprehensions:
1. Am I legally allowed to use the car now? (while this process of re-registering is being done -- it can take weeks to get a reply from DVLA).
2. Is there a possibility that the DVLA might request proof of repair, before allowing me to use the car?
3. Is there a risk that the DVLA might invalidate my recent MOT? I'm worried they might demand yet another fresh MOT by the time they process my documents and invalidate the one I just completed (after receiving the Cat-S designation). In such a scenario, I could potentially be pulled over by the police and penalized for an invalidated MOT without my knowledge. Is this a plausible scenario?
4. Alternatively, I am considering informing the DVLA at a later stage when I decide to sell the car, or not at all (if I decide to scrap the car in a few years). Could this pose any realistic legal implications?
My nephew claimed on his policy in May 2018 and they made his car a Cat S, but he kept it.
I'm sure he didn't have to get involved with the DVLA as Cat S cars can go back on the road. But his insurer wanted to see an MOT Certificate dated after the accident before they would continue to provide cover.
My car was hit in the rear last year and I claimed off the other insurer, who made it a Cat N.
When I told my insurer at renewal last month they also wanted to see a post-accident MOT Certificate.
I'm sure he didn't have to get involved with the DVLA as Cat S cars can go back on the road. But his insurer wanted to see an MOT Certificate dated after the accident before they would continue to provide cover.
My car was hit in the rear last year and I claimed off the other insurer, who made it a Cat N.
When I told my insurer at renewal last month they also wanted to see a post-accident MOT Certificate. Forums | General Gassing | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


