FOR SALE: MGB GT 1969 BRITISH RACING GREEN 1.8 OD
This is a professionally-maintained, UK-registered RHD chrome-bumper car with matching numbers, which was originally restored in 2006 including a new MG heritage shell. It has excellent panel fit, the engine pulls beautifully with overdrive which allows the car to cruse at 70 mph without any trouble. She even has a period radio fitted - which still works!
I have owned this highly original MGB since 2014 when I bought it from one of Scotland's leading classic car dealers. I have receipts for almost £12,000 that I have spent in the past five years getting the engine rebuilt (unleaded) and the bodywork properly sorted and repainted by one of the MG Owners' Club's recommended workshops.
The earliest confirmed record I have of the mileage is on an official MOT certificate dated January 2006, which recorded the mileage as 33944. The mileage when I bought her was 36019 and on the new MOT certificate is 40,460. I cannot vouch for the mileage prior to 2006.
Don't expect a pristine 'concours' standard of finish, but she is still a real head-turner. She is easy to drive, responsive and great fun. Combine this with cheap, readily available spares from the MG Owners' Club and elsewhere and you have a very practical real-world classic car that could be used everyday.
Although she no longer requires an MOT, I've always had the car MOT'd to maintain a record of the mileage and as an extra reassurance that there's no trouble brewing. So she is MOT'd until May 2020. The same mechanic at the same garage has MOT'd her every year I've owned her, and every time she has sailed through with no advisories. She was professionally serviced by the same mechanic in April having covered just 414 since her last service and MOT.
I'm a realist and know that you seldom get back everything you've invested in a classic car, despite what you might read. Which is why my MGB GT is for sale at less than I paid for her in 2014, totally disregarding the value of the work I've had done in the meantime.
The bad bits? The tachometer has a dodgy connection so it's sometimes a bit unreliable, there is minor damage to the offside jacking point and sill (see photo) which I caused by not inserting the jack properly and the wire wheels are a pain to keep clean! But that's it.
I'm happy to answer any questions so please ask. Any inspection and test drive (subject to proof of insurance) very welcome.
- LayoutFront Engined
- Size1,800 cc
- AspirationNormally Aspirated
- Top speed-
- Driven WheelsRear Wheel Drive
- Economy0 mpg
- Body typeCoupe
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners 5
PistonHeads members who have owned this car or the same model
Time to sell your car?
Wanting to sell your car? PistonHeads can help you get the best price and that quick sale. Try one of our selling tools today.
Contact Private Seller
Private Seller, Kinross, United Kingdom
- Used MG in Arbroath (1)
- Used MG in Brechin (8)
- Used MG in Helensburgh (1)
- Used MG in Musselburgh (1)
- Used cars in Bristol (1191)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1207)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1201)
- Used cars in Derby (1166)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1150)
- Used cars in Leeds (1554)
- Used cars in Leicester (1171)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1196)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1433)
- Used cars in Reading (1188)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1019)
- Used cars in East Midlands (8753)
- Used cars in East of England (10770)
- Used cars in London (3712)
- Used cars in North East (4652)
- Used cars in North West (9809)
- Used cars in Scotland (5337)
- Used cars in South East (12952)
- Used cars in South West (6985)
- Used cars in Wales (4459)
- Used cars in West Midlands (8129)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (9674)
No recent searches