Chassis no: SCX 797
Engine no: SX 398C
Body no: 6609
Registration: 6621 DF
Facing increasing competition from faster rivals and with development of its ageing six-cylinder engine nearing its end, Rolls-Royce turned to V8 power as the 1960s approached. The V8 was, of course, the predominant power unit in Rolls-Royce's most important export market - the USA - so it was only natural that the Crewe firm would study the best American designs - principally those of Chrysler and Cadillac - for inspiration.
Introduced in the autumn of 1959, the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II and Bentley S2 appeared externally unchanged from their 'Cloud and S-Type predecessors, though the duo's performance was considerably enhanced by the new 6,230cc aluminium-alloy V8 engine.
Although wider and shorter than the 'six' it replaced, the new power unit fitted relatively easily within the engine bay, relocation of the steering box from inside to outside of the chassis frame being the most obvious alteration to the previous arrangements. Externally the new models appeared virtually unchanged, while beneath the skin Rolls-Royce's own four-speed automatic transmission was now the only one on offer and power steering was standardized.
Launched in 1962, the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III and its Bentley S3 equivalent employed the 6.2-liter V8 engine introduced on the 'Cloud II/S2 - though with larger carburettors, new distributor and raised compression ratio - and came with a four-speed GM-derived automatic transmission as standard equipment.
Most obvious among many changes from the preceding models was the adoption of four-headlamp lighting, the absence of sidelights from the wing tops, and a slightly lower radiator shell. Inside there was improved accommodation with separate front seats and increased room for rear passengers. Notable as the last mainstream Rolls-Royce to employ a separate chassis, the Silver Cloud III proved immensely successful both at home and abroad, remaining in production until the autumn of 1965.
This magnificent example is one of the most spectacular Cloud III’s that we have handled, having only one owner from and covered a scant 28,000 miles. The car is pure and untouched, never needing paint, trim or wood work this is an original car in excellent condition.
The paintwork is finished in Astral Blue over Shell Grey with a faint light blue coachline, the interior is beautifully covered in light blue Connolly Vaumol leather and carpet.
Mechanically she is sound having always been maintained, it is a true delight to drive on the road, you get a real essence of how it would feel driving away from Crewe in 1963.
This Cloud comes with a plethora of documents including a specially ordered road map from the AA giving directions to the Crewe factory, the original RR guarantee, Silver Cloud brochure, various invoices and Mot’s.
This original Silver Cloud III truly is a piece of history, she is sitting in our showroom and ready for viewing.
A gallery of large high-resolution pictures may be viewed on our website.
Office 01375 379719
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST
View this vehicle on our website
Reference #8911762 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- Size6,200 cc
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Body typeSaloon
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
PistonHeads members who have owned this car or the same model
- Used Rolls Royce in Bedford (1)
- Used Rolls Royce in Braintree (1)
- Used Rolls Royce in Chelmsford (3)
- Used Rolls Royce in Epping (1)
- Used Rolls Royce in Grays (55)
- Used Rolls Royce in Hatfield (1)
- Used Rolls Royce in Norwich (2)
- Used Rolls Royce in Romford (3)
- Used Rolls Royce in Westcliff-on-Sea (1)
- Used cars in Bristol (1442)
- Used cars in Bury (1205)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1556)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1486)
- Used cars in Derby (1244)
- Used cars in Edinburgh (1141)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1316)
- Used cars in Leeds (1758)
- Used cars in Leicester (1276)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1473)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1651)
- Used cars in East Midlands (9974)
- Used cars in East of England (14541)
- Used cars in London (4998)
- Used cars in North East (4673)
- Used cars in North West (12786)
- Used cars in Scotland (6421)
- Used cars in South East (15745)
- Used cars in South West (8254)
- Used cars in Wales (5006)
- Used cars in West Midlands (7862)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (11465)
No recent searches