Speed enforcement changes afoot
Speed enforcement changes afoot
Author
Discussion

WMHV70

Original Poster:

13,253 posts

262 months

Wednesday 2nd June 2004
quotequote all
A little birdie tells me that a provincial NW Police force is announcing the results of a review into speed enforcement tomorrow.

I am led to believe that the limits at which enforcement takes place (ie tickets/NIP) are to be raised slightly.

Minor tansgressions will, it is rumoured, attract a "caution" for the first offence, the speed awareness course will be offered to more drivers going a bit quicker than at present, and prosecution will start at a higher threshold than the current 10%+2mph. Allegedly.

All this is, of course, only rumour and speculation, and has been passed to me 33rd hand or so. Therefore, it would be irresponsible of me to actually "quote" any actual quoted figures, until the press release has been released to the Press...

cptsideways

13,817 posts

274 months

Wednesday 2nd June 2004
quotequote all
aye, canny bit of information like

WMHV70

Original Poster:

13,253 posts

262 months

Wednesday 2nd June 2004
quotequote all
My "informant" tells me that he/she will provide the actual figures for your collected enjoyment after the release tomorrow. Allegedly.

jeffreyarcher

675 posts

270 months

Wednesday 2nd June 2004
quotequote all
WMHV70 said:
A little birdie tells me that a provincial NW Police force is announcing the results of a review into speed enforcement tomorrow.
I am led to believe that the limits at which enforcement takes place (ie tickets/NIP) are to be raised slightly.
<...> and prosecution will start at a higher threshold than the current 10%+2mph. Allegedly.

Assuming that we are talking £anca$hire, here, there is considerable evidence that they do not currently adhere to 10%+2mph antway.

WMHV70 said:
until the press release has been released to the Press.

It is, of course, open to any force to change their policies at any time, however, why do they need to release a press release about it?
This stinks of some forthcoming 'spin' (i.e. lies) on the issue.

WMHV70

Original Poster:

13,253 posts

262 months

Wednesday 2nd June 2004
quotequote all
JA, I haven't seen it, nobody saw me not seeing it, it was possibly just what I have perhaps been told...

I'll put the new figures up when I allegedly get them from my fellow caped crusader.

It's been suggested, tangentially of course, to me, that the levels have been raised because the public were unhappy with the levels enforcement was carried out at previously, and the Chief Constable wanted to respond to the public's concerns. So I'm told...

>> Edited by WMHV70 on Wednesday 2nd June 23:54

WildCat

8,369 posts

265 months

Thursday 3rd June 2004
quotequote all
WMHV70 said:
JA, I haven't seen it, nobody saw me not seeing it, it was possibly just what I have perhaps been told...

I'll put the new figures up when I allegedly get them from my fellow caped crusader.

It's been suggested, tangentially of course, to me, that the levels have been raised because the public were unhappy with the levels enforcement was carried out at previously, and the Chief Constable wanted to respond to the public's concerns. So I'm told...

>> Edited by WMHV70 on Wednesday 2nd June 23:54


I can certainly confirm that the folk of this NW province are more than a bit weary of the kind of enforcement which makes Dick look like a new born lap puppy dog! Every pub you visit around there (we have cousin based in the Hill country!) And we live in County next door - and Cumbrian prats can be moronic (check out their forum - tis a right larf! Their resident prat comes out with some mind-blowing gems! ) - but but still not as bad as Lancs. And lots of Cumbrian folk who have had tickets - received them in neighbouring LanCAsh£re!

If this is true - music to our ears. (We have been bombarding your Prats with weekly letters over this stupidity )

But we will only believe this when we see proof of the pudding. Prats are renowned for spin, ain't they!.


WMHV70

Original Poster:

13,253 posts

262 months

Thursday 3rd June 2004
quotequote all
WC - I am led to believe there will be a press release early this morning about this.

Feel free to e-mail me off thread if you want the details when they become available.

puggit

49,425 posts

270 months

Thursday 3rd June 2004
quotequote all
Lancashire is drowning in it's pot of gold? Too much paperwork, so the need to ease off?

Sorry WMHV70 - I'm awfully sceptical of your ringmasters

D-Angle

4,468 posts

264 months

Thursday 3rd June 2004
quotequote all
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/3771639.stm
BBC News Lancashire said:
Force changes its speeding policy


Drivers will be fined if they do 38 mph in a 30 mph zone
Lancashire Police has changed its policy on speeding motorists following criticism of the county's 300 roadside cameras.
From Thursday, people caught driving at speeds only slightly over the limit will be cautioned or sent on speed awareness courses.

But motorists who are well over the speed limit will still be fined.

In the past year, speed cameras caught almost 130,000 offenders in the county, raising £7m in fines.

The move is a major change in policy for Lancashire Police and follows a review commissioned by Chief Constable Paul Stephenson examining speed-related issues.

'No green light'

Drivers caught speeding in a 30mph zone will be cautioned if they reach 35mph, offered a speed awareness course at 36 and 37mph, and given a fixed penalty if they reach 38mph.

Previously, motorists received a fixed penalty if they went over 35mph.

Drivers will be allowed one caution in a three-year period for their first speeding offence.

They will then be offered a speed awareness course if they offend again.

Lancashire Police said the new policy was not a "green light" for people to drive more quickly in the county but was about dealing with people in a "flexible manner".

It said it would not reconsider any penalties previously imposed in relation to driving licence endorsements.
I think this is a start along the right track, if pressure continues we can hopefully start to see some real differences being made to this ludicrous "Robocop" mentality.

skittle

312 posts

283 months

Thursday 3rd June 2004
quotequote all
So because they raise the threshold at which cameras catch people we are supposed to be happy?

This moving of goalposts to appease public opinion is a cynical manipulation of policing, or not, on our roads.



busa_rush

6,930 posts

273 months

Thursday 3rd June 2004
quotequote all
Doesn't change anything, just minor manipulation in order to get some publicity. Just shows that it's still there to collect the cash !

gRsf12

224 posts

262 months

Thursday 3rd June 2004
quotequote all
Isn't Lancashire some sort of duchy for the Queen? Would she, therefore, be taking home some of the profits from her busy little servants?

WMHV70

Original Poster:

13,253 posts

262 months

Thursday 3rd June 2004
quotequote all
From the release, the actual detection speeds aren't being changed, but the way of dealing with "offenders" (I use the word "offenders" advisedly, and for ease of posting) will change.

In short, caught once at 35mph in 30mph limit, caution. Caught again in three year period at 35mph in 30mph limit, option of speed awareness course. Caught third time in three years, prosecution.

The news release is here: www.lancashire.police.uk/news.html#3June

and here it is in full for those that can't be bothered to click the link:

Police reveal speeding caution policy
FOLLOWING a review, Lancashire Constabulary has revealed details of its new speed enforcement policy.

The review, which was commissioned by the Chief Constable Paul Stephenson, examined all aspects of speed related issues, including the work of the Lancashire Road Safety Partnership. This has resulted in the introduction of a cautioning policy as well as enhancing the speed awareness option.

Mr Stephenson told the Police Authority that he had decided on the review after listening to a variety of views from the motoring public and members of local communities. He explained: "It is quite obvious that people are anxious we continue to target speeding motorists who are a danger to road safety, but at the same time we recognised a need to look again at the way we dealt with lower level offenders."

From today drivers caught speeding in a 30 mph area will be cautioned at 35 mph, offered a speed awareness course at 36 and 37, and given a fixed penalty at 38. Similarly in a 40 mph area drivers will be cautioned at 46 and 47 and offered speed awareness at 48 and 49. Above that will result in a fixed penalty.

In a 50 mph area drivers will be cautioned at 57 and 58, offered speed awareness at 59 and 60 and a fixed penalty at 61. The Constabulary will continue its intelligence led approach to ensure that camera sites with a higher number of casualties are prioritised.

Drivers will be eligible for up to one caution in a three-year period for their first offence of speeding. Following the receipt of a caution they will move to the offer of a speed awareness course if it falls within the guidelines. It is to be emphasised that this is not a green light to drive more quickly in Lancashire. It is about dealing with people in a flexible and proportionate manner.

Lancashire Constabulary will not reconsider any penalties previously imposed in relation to driving licence endorsements but will allow all motorists in the county to undertake all options under the new proposal.

The Constabulary's newly appointed mobile enforcement technicians will be used on roads where analysis shows there are significant casualties.

Superintendent Clive Tattum, who headed the review, said: "It is important to remember that the safety cameras are working here in Lancashire. We are now well on target to achieve casualty reduction levels set for 2010 by next year which will be a remarkable achievement. These reductions would not have been possible without the cameras and the impact they have made on driver behaviour. The cameras reinforce our message that speeding remains unacceptable here in the county.

"But at the same time we do recognise that speed enforcement, particularly at the lower end of the speeding scale, does have an impact on motorists many of whom might have driven for years without penalty. That is why we decided to introduce a cautioning policy and enhance the speed awareness training.

"The vast majority of motorists in Lancashire drive in a safe and responsible manner. This has assisted us in reducing average driving speeds and road casualties. The new policy will be closely analysed over the initial three months period and if this responsible approach continues we will consider further expansion of the cautioning scheme and of our speed awareness course."

Dr Stephen Morton, Consultant in Public Health and Director of Public Health Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Primary Care Trust, said: "The use of safety cameras is a proven measure to improve road safety. They can reduce accident risks at sites with a bad accident record and can contribute to overall speed awareness across the county of Lancashire.

"However, it is important to maintain public understanding of, and confidence in, the way in which safety cameras are used. That is why it is timely to review the operational policy and refine their use, based on the most recent data on accidents and traffic speeds. I strongly support this review and the commitment to jointly monitor and refine the policy over subsequent years."

Terry Carter, Section Manager for Traffic and Safety for Lancashire County Council, said: Lancashire Constabulary and Lancashire County Council work closely together within the Road Safety Partnership and share the aim of meeting the Government's targets for road safety reduction. Significant progress has already been made with the co-operation of road users and the time was right for a review of the speed enforcement policy.

"The County Council has worked closely with the police in the review and entirely support the new arrangements, which are being introduced. We all anticipate that this will maintain the co-operation and commitment of all road users to casualty reduction."

John Davies, Project Manager for the Lancashire Road Safety Partnership, added: "The partnership has worked closely with the police throughout the review process and fully support the new speed enforcement policy which is being introduced. The partnership's aim is to reduce road casualties and the new arrangements, whilst maintaining this focus, will be more educational in their approach. This can only be beneficial in improving safety on our roads."

hornet

6,333 posts

272 months

Friday 4th June 2004
quotequote all
WMHV70 said:
From the release...

Superintendent Clive Tattum, who headed the review, said: "It is important to remember that the safety cameras are working here in Lancashire. We are now well on target to achieve casualty reduction levels set for 2010 by next year which will be a remarkable achievement."


That, surely, is complete and utter bollocks? I thought Lancs deaths were up? Are they just doing the usual trick of hiding the increased 'K' within the decreased 'SI'?

Also, "mobile enforcement technician"