Can't decide what to do...
Can't decide what to do...
Author
Discussion

cnut

Original Poster:

170 posts

217 months

Wednesday 13th November 2013
quotequote all
Hi all,

I after some advice about what to do with my car.

I have an Audi A4 1.9TDI Sport which is currently on HP. I have less than a year left until it's paid (Aug 2014) and the balance currently outstanding is £1341.

I am really craving a petrol car again and I have been eyeing up some R32 Golfs. When I got the Audi I thought I would be using it more than what I have but last year I only did 8K in it so it almost seems pointless having it.

The R32s I have been looking at seem to be around the 6.5K mark. So my question is, do I approach a dealer now and part/ex my Audi against one? I expect I would get around 3K tops part/ex. What then happens to the outstanding balance on the HP?

Or do I wait until Aug next year when my car is fully paid off and then part/ex or privately sale it against an R32 Golf?

What's the most financially wise thing to do in this situation?!

Cheers

pacoryan

671 posts

261 months

Wednesday 13th November 2013
quotequote all
Sell the car privately and let the purchaser settle the HP, or pay it off yourself on a credit card so the car is clear of encumbrance and sell it privately.

I'm assuming you are happy to sell privately, if not BCA sure-sell might be worth a punt.

You will get hammered at p/ex.

rfoster

1,482 posts

284 months

Wednesday 13th November 2013
quotequote all
A dealer will usually settle your finance agreement for you as part of any part exchange deal - but frankly I'd want to see a copy of the transfer slip at the point of handover to ensure it had been done.