Car finance quandry
Car finance quandry
Author
Discussion

Babw

Original Poster:

1,060 posts

176 months

Friday 15th December 2017
quotequote all
I'm hoping someone on here can offer some advice on my situation.

Just over a year ago I helped purchase a car for my then girlfriend. We recently had an amicable break up but I want to keep the car. I paid the hefty deposit and suffered depreciation, she has paid the monthlies and neither of us feel we owe each other any cash.

Is there any way for me to take over the PCP from her? I can afford to pay the settlement figure and buy it outright but I could potentially be going through an important business takeover soon so would be wise to keep as much cash available as possible.

I would however be willing to pay the settlement figure if I could somehow release the cash by financing it afterwards?

The car is worth about 55k at the moment and settlement figure is 39k.

Nickbrapp

5,277 posts

160 months

Friday 15th December 2017
quotequote all
Get a loan?

Taaaaang

6,703 posts

216 months

Saturday 16th December 2017
quotequote all
Speak to the finance company?

Babw

Original Poster:

1,060 posts

176 months

Saturday 16th December 2017
quotequote all
Taaaaang said:
Speak to the finance company?
Just waiting for them to get back to me but I was hoping to have an alternative option if they couldn't help.


Defcon5

6,471 posts

221 months

Saturday 16th December 2017
quotequote all
Who is the finance agreement with, you or her? Who is the registered keeper?

You could just inform the finance co that the money is coming from a different account (yours) and leave everything the same until after your business takeover, then pay it off afterwards

Babw

Original Poster:

1,060 posts

176 months

Saturday 16th December 2017
quotequote all
The agreement and V5 is in her name. She was the main user but after the breakup she decided that she doesn't want it and I do want it so just need to transfer the ownership via a finance agreement to my name.

The finance company said it's unlikely that they can switch it to my name but just waiting for confirmation.

The other option would be part exchange it for a similar model but I know a few thousand would be lost in the process. Could try and sell it to a dealer but we don't want to keep any financial ties for any longer than absolutely necessary.