At what point in Morgage process can I finance a car?
At what point in Morgage process can I finance a car?
Author
Discussion

JQ

Original Poster:

6,812 posts

209 months

Friday 17th August 2018
quotequote all
Got a full mortgage offer through today for a new house purchase which is subject to survey, happening next week. The loan is comfortably within affordability ratios and there’ll be no issue with the survey.

However, the application was made on the basis that we don’t have any outstanding finance on anything, which currently we don’t Sod’s law and there’s a good car lease deal appeared that i’d like to investigate, possibly take out. Would taking finance (PCH) out next week on a £36,000 car cause any issues with the mortgage?

RobXjcoupe

3,390 posts

121 months

Friday 17th August 2018
quotequote all
Probably if you have a maxed out a mortgage

JQ

Original Poster:

6,812 posts

209 months

Friday 17th August 2018
quotequote all
RobXjcoupe said:
Probably if you have a maxed out a mortgage
Why?

guitarcarfanatic

1,990 posts

165 months

Friday 17th August 2018
quotequote all
Because the affordability scale they used is based on what you put on the form. Another few hundred a month out = they lend you less.

Safer way is to wait for the mortgage to complete and then do it - unlikely to be audited post offer but would be gutting if you were.

Sarnie

8,372 posts

239 months

Friday 17th August 2018
quotequote all
JQ said:
Why?
Because your circumstances will have changed........you said you had no commitments......now you will, once you take out the finance............the lender will want to reassess the application.......it might still fit............or it might not.......

James_B

12,642 posts

287 months

Friday 17th August 2018
quotequote all
JQ said:
Got a full mortgage offer through today for a new house purchase which is subject to survey, happening next week. The loan is comfortably within affordability ratios and there’ll be no issue with the survey.

However, the application was made on the basis that we don’t have any outstanding finance on anything, which currently we don’t Sod’s law and there’s a good car lease deal appeared that i’d like to investigate, possibly take out. Would taking finance (PCH) out next week on a £36,000 car cause any issues with the mortgage?
Yes, it absolutely could. Why would they ask about your debt if it did not matter?

Don’t take any loans out until you have completed.

vindaloo79

1,240 posts

110 months

Saturday 18th August 2018
quotequote all
JQ said:
Would taking finance (PCH) out next week on a £36,000 car cause any issues with the mortgage?
When i had a lease on a £28k car it showed as a £7.25k debt on my credit file.

I'm in a similar position now and deciding to hold out on the completion date before would jump into a new credit agreement.

JulianPH

10,084 posts

144 months

Saturday 18th August 2018
quotequote all
Sarnie said:
JQ said:
Why?
Because your circumstances will have changed........you said you had no commitments......now you will, once you take out the finance............the lender will want to reassess the application.......it might still fit............or it might not.......
Listen to Sarnie, he knows this inside out.

JQ

Original Poster:

6,812 posts

209 months

Saturday 18th August 2018
quotequote all
Cheers for the comments.

My main concern was timing but as the vendor announced last night that they’re going on holiday for 2 weeks and won’t let the valuer inspect unaccompanied nothing will be happening any time soon. I’ll let the bank know about the car and let them re-do their calculations, as said affordability won’t be an issue and 2 weeks should be enough time to sort.

Deesee

8,509 posts

113 months

Saturday 18th August 2018
quotequote all
Wait until your in

Then wait until you start seeing what needs to be done

Then re assess when the other half weighs up a redec and new kitchen

Then see what works for you on the car side

Good luck on the move

Killer2005

20,599 posts

258 months

Monday 20th August 2018
quotequote all
JQ said:
Cheers for the comments.

My main concern was timing but as the vendor announced last night that they’re going on holiday for 2 weeks and won’t let the valuer inspect unaccompanied nothing will be happening any time soon. I’ll let the bank know about the car and let them re-do their calculations, as said affordability won’t be an issue and 2 weeks should be enough time to sort.
I'd wait until after you were in. If it does affect affordability significantly and you decide not to go ahead with it it could cause delays.

LittleBigPlanet

1,209 posts

171 months

Monday 20th August 2018
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Wait until your in

Then wait until you start seeing what needs to be done

Then re assess when the other half weighs up a redec and new kitchen

Then see what works for you on the car side

Good luck on the move
This.

There is a good deal now but there might be an even better deal in a few month's time.

In any case, wait. You'll thank yourself that you did. New homes throw up all sorts of bills (source: moved in Dec 2017).

Craikeybaby

12,124 posts

255 months

Tuesday 21st August 2018
quotequote all
Or get the car before your other half spends the money for it...

JQ

Original Poster:

6,812 posts

209 months

Tuesday 21st August 2018
quotequote all
Craikeybaby said:
Or get the car before your other half spends the money for it...
Don't worry, there's a £75,000 budget for work to the house, which should keep us both busy for a while. Anyway, told the bank about the car and all was good, had no impact on the mortgage offer, went to see the car and Mrs JQ hated it, so that's the end of that. Although I do agree with her - a 2 Series Tourer ain't going to win any design awards.

Looking at secondhand cars again now unless another stonking lease deal comes up - MINI JCW, Fiesta ST Mountune and GT86 all look appealing.

Shaoxter

4,608 posts

154 months

Tuesday 21st August 2018
quotequote all
Let me get this straight, you were going to risk your mortgage offer for a 2 Series Active Tourer? And £36k??? rofl

JQ

Original Poster:

6,812 posts

209 months

Tuesday 21st August 2018
quotequote all
Shaoxter said:
Let me get this straight, you were going to risk your mortgage offer for a 2 Series Active Tourer? And £36k??? rofl
Mortgage was never at risk as affordability was never an issue, timing was.

But yes a 2 series is pretty embarrassing, it's one fugly car. However £225pcm for an 18 month lease on a plug-in hybrid which would get charged at work (zero fuel costs) would be quite nice for little while. Plus I don't really care what other people think, otherwise I'd be chucking £700pcm into a company car like all my colleagues. In all honesty I'd have got the car if the wife hadn't put her foot down, my current Volvo is returning 16mpg and I quite liked the idea of an electric car - 4wd, 225bhp and 6.7 to 60 with no tax or fuel costs. If I'd hated it, it would have been gone in 18 months anyway.