House sale and fixed term mortgage
House sale and fixed term mortgage
Author
Discussion

mcbook

Original Poster:

1,442 posts

204 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
Looks like I'm going to sell my house this year. Probably some time in Q3. I'll be moving to rented accommodation in the short term (self-build happening in 2021) so won't be porting the mortgage to another property.

My current 2 year mortgage deal expires at the end of June and I'm planning to let it default to the standard variable rate. That will mean I'll have an increased mortgage payment for a few months but no early repayment charge to deal with. Current standard variable rate is 4.19%, so will be quite a jump.

Alternatively, I remortgage with another lender (will need a deal with no ERC) for a short period of time and then pay it off when the house is sold.

Any ideas about the best approach here? Or something creative that I haven't thought of.

Edited by mcbook on Wednesday 29th January 14:43

NickCQ

5,392 posts

125 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
It depends on how big the mortgage is, but for something normal sized I suspect the upfront cost and hassle of remortgaging is going to be greater than the increased interest cost for a few months. Think upfront fees, solicitors, brokers etc.

If you aren't self-building until next year, would it make sense to keep hold of the place, remortgage to BTL, get a tenant in to generate some yield and sell when you are ready to start on the next project?

mackay45

832 posts

200 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
See if your existing provider has any fee free tracker mortgages with no ERCs?

That's what I did in your situation (via a mortgage adviser) earlier this month. I'd anticipated having to stump up for a few months of much higher mortgage payments but my monthly mine is only increasing by around 5% (rather than c.30% if it had reverted to the standard variable rate).

mcbook

Original Poster:

1,442 posts

204 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
NickCQ said:
It depends on how big the mortgage is, but for something normal sized I suspect the upfront cost and hassle of remortgaging is going to be greater than the increased interest cost for a few months. Think upfront fees, solicitors, brokers etc.

If you aren't self-building until next year, would it make sense to keep hold of the place, remortgage to BTL, get a tenant in to generate some yield and sell when you are ready to start on the next project?
Interesting thought but I need to release the equity to pay for the plot.

mcbook

Original Poster:

1,442 posts

204 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
mackay45 said:
See if your existing provider has any fee free tracker mortgages with no ERCs?

That's what I did in your situation (via a mortgage adviser) earlier this month. I'd anticipated having to stump up for a few months of much higher mortgage payments but my monthly mine is only increasing by around 5% (rather than c.30% if it had reverted to the standard variable rate).
Good shout. Will look into this.

Sarnie

8,368 posts

238 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
Speak to a broker........this is quite a specific requirement......lots of good brokers out there!

NickCQ

5,392 posts

125 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
Sarnie said:
Speak to a broker........this is quite a specific requirement......lots of good brokers out there!
& Sarnie is one of them biggrin

mcbook

Original Poster:

1,442 posts

204 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
Upon checking, my current lender does a no-fee tracker at 2.89% with no ERC. Seems like it fits the bill.

Having said that, might have a chat to a broker too. There is also the self-build funding to discuss...

Sarnie

8,368 posts

238 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
mcbook said:
Upon checking, my current lender does a no-fee tracker at 2.89% with no ERC. Seems like it fits the bill.

Having said that, might have a chat to a broker too. There is also the self-build funding to discuss...
You mentioned raising funds out of the current property................they will decline you when you tell them that it's to buy a plot of land and you will be moving out of their security address..............

mcbook

Original Poster:

1,442 posts

204 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
Sarnie said:
You mentioned raising funds out of the current property................they will decline you when you tell them that it's to buy a plot of land and you will be moving out of their security address..............
I'm selling my current house to access the money to buy the plot, not borrowing against it.

The new mortgage will be of the self-build variety.

Sarnie

8,368 posts

238 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
mcbook said:
I'm selling my current house to access the money to buy the plot, not borrowing against it.

The new mortgage will be of the self-build variety.
No problem, it was the way I read that you "needed to release the equity" thumbup

ozzuk

1,456 posts

156 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
I've just done this - all online with nationwide, no fees and switched to a variable - took me about 10 minutes! I'm selling up and already in touch with Sarnie for the new mortgage so can highly recommend him...