May holiday and a catalogue of problems
May holiday and a catalogue of problems
Author
Discussion

Getragdogleg

Original Poster:

10,215 posts

212 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
We booked a long weekend away from Cornwall to Edinburgh for a weekend in May.

Fly from Newquay with flybe....

They went pop. Received the refund from the credit card, so far so good.

I advised the company who we were STAYing with in the CITY that we were having trouble getting another flight on the days we had booked with flybe so could we defer the holiday until later in the year. They agreed.

Then corona virus happened.

Now I am unsure if we are going to be able to fly up at all this year, I am unsure if the city stay people will even be open.

My terms say no refunds.

Will we be losing our money or shall I just try a credit card refund on this too.

Bloody shame, I really want to go!

Edit to add, attempts to contact the company are unsuccessful, either phone or email.

Edited by Getragdogleg on Thursday 2nd April 14:14

andburg

8,734 posts

198 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
If you signed no refunds I'd say they're within their rights to keep the money.
Is it a chain you could move the booking to a different hotel?

They seem to be honoring the contract.

I know flights are much faster but you could consider driving or going on the train and extending the trip with a stop off in the lake district or something.

Getragdogleg

Original Poster:

10,215 posts

212 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
andburg said:
If you signed no refunds I'd say they're within their rights to keep the money.
Is it a chain you could move the booking to a different hotel?

They seem to be honoring the contract.

I know flights are much faster but you could consider driving or going on the train and extending the trip with a stop off in the lake district or something.
The point is that they now cannot keep their part of the contract, if you go to the website it's showing that our original dates are not available and they are all closed until further notice, so even if Flybe didn't go pop we wouldn't be able to stay as per our contract.

Our party is 6 people. One is 72 and infirm and one is 2 years old. Hence flying.

I'm not after "compensayshun innit" just concerned that I'm going to take a hit on this.

Would frustration of contract be applicable here ?

I would prefer to be going to Edinburgh as planned. If I can't because of virus/their policy that's not my fault and I'm not getting something I paid for.



andburg

8,734 posts

198 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
when you both agreed to postpone to a later date, was this date set? if so when for?


Pothole

34,367 posts

311 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
Getragdogleg said:
The point is that they now cannot keep their part of the contract, if you go to the website it's showing that our original dates are not available and they are all closed until further notice, so even if Flybe didn't go pop we wouldn't be able to stay as per our contract.

Our party is 6 people. One is 72 and infirm and one is 2 years old. Hence flying.

I'm not after "compensayshun innit" just concerned that I'm going to take a hit on this.

Would frustration of contract be applicable here ?

I would prefer to be going to Edinburgh as planned. If I can't because of virus/their policy that's not my fault and I'm not getting something I paid for.
Apart from human nature, what's stopping you from just waiting to see what might happen?

Getragdogleg

Original Poster:

10,215 posts

212 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
andburg said:
when you both agreed to postpone to a later date, was this date set? if so when for?
Date was not set but was going to be pretty much as soon as I could get flights but after the original dates unless we were really really lucky.

So, in May at some time pending a new airline taking up the slots from nqy. Of course that is also not happening due to the shut down.

Getragdogleg

Original Poster:

10,215 posts

212 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
Pothole said:
Apart from human nature, what's stopping you from just waiting to see what might happen?
I am seeing what might happen, but I'm getting myself informed so I am ready to go whichever way things lead me.

crofty1984

17,064 posts

233 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
Any chance of changing the date to, say Dec 31st then once this has cleared up moving it forward again? I did that with a flight for a colleague once. Two date changes were a lot less than the price of a non-refundable ticket.

Mandalore

5,457 posts

142 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
If the agreed onus is on you to confirm the date that you arrange the preplacement flight, then don't arrange one.





PositronicRay

28,980 posts

212 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
Getragdogleg said:
We booked a long weekend away from Cornwall to Edinburgh for a weekend in May.

Fly from Newquay with flybe....

They went pop. Received the refund from the credit card, so far so good.

I advised the company who we were STAYing with in the CITY that we were having trouble getting another flight on the days we had booked with flybe so could we defer the holiday until later in the year. They agreed.

Then corona virus happened.


Edited by Getragdogleg on Thursday 2nd April 14:14
I'm pretty sure C19 happened before flybe going bust.

anonymous-user

83 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
This may or may not be of assistance in some holiday cases -

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

Getragdogleg

Original Poster:

10,215 posts

212 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
PositronicRay said:
I'm pretty sure C19 happened before flybe going bust.
It was happening but not here, when flybe went pop we were still carrying on more or less as normal with no lock downs or vulnerable people being advised to stay inside.

The timing is poor for me on this, if I had hung on a day or so to let them know I may need to change the booking because I was unsure we could get to Edinburgh the Covid shut downs and closure of the place we are staying would have meant that I could have had a refund because they couldn't provide the rooms.

Now I am in a weird nether world of being unable to book flights or rebook the rooms because its all shut down for an unspecified time and not being able to get a refund even though its all due to things out of my control.

I'm not cocking anyone around, I just want to sort it out.

PositronicRay

28,980 posts

212 months

Thursday 2nd April 2020
quotequote all
Getragdogleg said:
It was happening but not here, when flybe went pop we were still carrying on more or less as normal with no lock downs or vulnerable people being advised to stay inside.

The timing is poor for me on this,
Okay.

alfabeat

1,478 posts

141 months

Friday 3rd April 2020
quotequote all
It's the same for thousands of people. With no clear end date to this, it's impossible to "sort things out". Just wait until the picture becomes clearer is my advice. No one knows what next week or next month will bring. It is impossible to plan anything - and that goes for the individuals and the businesses.