Car Selling Dilemma
Discussion
Before I start, I havent sold a car, which the buyer wants me to buy back, its the opposite.
My car was listed on Ebay, and the auction finished yesterday, for £1 over my reserve. I have sent the invoice to the winning bidder, stating for him to call me to arrange collection. Ive heard nothing.
I also googled his address, and found it was a used car sales place, so called the company asking to speak to him, 3 times I was fobbed off with the same excuse that hes busy and will call me back, and he hasnt done.
Now since then, I have had 3 phone calls from Autotrader with people wanting to view the car.
Now what should I do? Wait longer for the Ebay guy to call me, or call back the people from Autotrader to arrange a viewing?
My car was listed on Ebay, and the auction finished yesterday, for £1 over my reserve. I have sent the invoice to the winning bidder, stating for him to call me to arrange collection. Ive heard nothing.
I also googled his address, and found it was a used car sales place, so called the company asking to speak to him, 3 times I was fobbed off with the same excuse that hes busy and will call me back, and he hasnt done.
Now since then, I have had 3 phone calls from Autotrader with people wanting to view the car.
Now what should I do? Wait longer for the Ebay guy to call me, or call back the people from Autotrader to arrange a viewing?
Wait for the (10 day?) window to finish on eBay, whereby you can cancel the sale due to non payment. Register the non-payment with ebay to reclaim your final sale fee. If you cancel the deal prior to their payment time expiring, you will still have to pay the final sale fees.
Whatever you do, DONT pay anybody introduction fees for a sale - it probably isn't Autotrader contacting you with waiting buyers. The 'intro fee' is a scam.
Whatever you do, DONT pay anybody introduction fees for a sale - it probably isn't Autotrader contacting you with waiting buyers. The 'intro fee' is a scam.
^ Agreed. If he wants it, he should come and get it. Just because he has won an "ebay" auction, doesn't mean you will hold the car indefinitely until he can be bothered to get it. Tell his receptionist that if he doesn't contact you by the end of the day you are selling it to someone else.
Seems fair to me.
Seems fair to me.
Paul Drawmer said:
Wait for the (10 day?) window to finish on eBay, whereby you can cancel the sale due to non payment. Register the non-payment with ebay to reclaim your final sale fee. If you cancel the deal prior to their payment time expiring, you will still have to pay the final sale fees.
Whatever you do, DONT pay anybody introduction fees for a sale - it probably isn't Autotrader contacting you with waiting buyers. The 'intro fee' is a scam.
I'm inclined to agree with this. The final value fee (i think) is 10% of the final sale, up to a certain value (£40).. for usual ebay items anyway... vechile sales may be higher or different. The buyer may be busy, and knows he's got the "10 day?" window, so you may here from him soon. If the cap is £40, I know thats not a lot of money, but out of principle I wouldn't want to pay it. Whatever you do, DONT pay anybody introduction fees for a sale - it probably isn't Autotrader contacting you with waiting buyers. The 'intro fee' is a scam.
I would tell the people from autotrader that you are just having to clear up some issues with an ebay sale, which may mean the car is available for veiwing in a week or so... so you don't put them off completely.
ETA: You could even tell the interetsed buyers from autotrader the situation and let them know they can come and view the car anyway incase the guy doent go through with the ebay sale.. leave the ball in their court. This may put you in a situation where they turn up, with cash, and decide they want it.. which may be hard for you to turn down.
Edited by balders118 on Thursday 6th May 10:13
I stated in the auction that the car must be paid for and collected in cash by 7th May, which is tomorrow, however I have had no contact from the buyer, even after sending him an invoice, and leaving 3 messages to call me with his colleagues.
The annoying thing is that I have already been offered £400 more than the car went for on Ebay by someone from the ad in autotrader!
The annoying thing is that I have already been offered £400 more than the car went for on Ebay by someone from the ad in autotrader!
mpm1987 said:
I stated in the auction that the car must be paid for and collected in cash by 7th May, which is tomorrow, however I have had no contact from the buyer, even after sending him an invoice, and leaving 3 messages to call me with his colleagues.
The annoying thing is that I have already been offered £400 more than the car went for on Ebay by someone from the ad in autotrader!
In which case sell it to the person who's offered £400 more & move on, you've made a reasonable attempt to contact the highest bidder and he's failed to respond.The annoying thing is that I have already been offered £400 more than the car went for on Ebay by someone from the ad in autotrader!
Just sell it to the first person with the cash. Even though you have a legal obligation to sell to the ebay winner, in practice I find the worst that can happen is the guy gets a huff on and goes and buys something else.
You can even file to get your final value fee refunded if you go through the process correctly.
You can even file to get your final value fee refunded if you go through the process correctly.
Gassing Station | General Gassing [Archive] | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


