Bargaining with dealers
Discussion
For the first time Im going to be buying a used car from a dealer. Its up for £7995 and was at £8995 6 weeks ago when i first noticed it.
It does actually seem like a reasonable price but I suppose its expected that you do some bargaining.
would offering say 5% below the sticker price seem reasonable or should I go lower?
Its a Z3M roadster with 76000 on clock in very good condition and FSH
It does actually seem like a reasonable price but I suppose its expected that you do some bargaining.
would offering say 5% below the sticker price seem reasonable or should I go lower?
Its a Z3M roadster with 76000 on clock in very good condition and FSH
Ozzie Osmond said:
I'd offer £7,500 and see what happens if you take a fairly firm position.
For goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
Thanks was thinking about that - the car has been on sale about 3 months so they might budge a bitFor goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
thegers said:
Ozzie Osmond said:
I'd offer £7,500 and see what happens if you take a fairly firm position.
For goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
Thanks was thinking about that - the car has been on sale about 3 months so they might budge a bitFor goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
<waits for a dealer to explain>
Edited by eliot on Thursday 8th July 23:43
Start with a low (but fair offer) around 7k would be my first try, regardless of what they have left in it to move the car on they may be willing to move on price and break even. Also depending on the type of dealer i.e. chain or indi they may be happier to sell at a loss than carry it for too long.
Chris_w666 said:
Start with a low (but fair offer) around 7k would be my first try, regardless of what they have left in it to move the car on they may be willing to move on price and break even. Also depending on the type of dealer i.e. chain or indi they may be happier to sell at a loss than carry it for too long.
Its a small indieliot said:
thegers said:
Ozzie Osmond said:
I'd offer £7,500 and see what happens if you take a fairly firm position.
For goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
Thanks was thinking about that - the car has been on sale about 3 months so they might budge a bitFor goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
<waits for a dealer to explain>
Edited by eliot on Thursday 8th July 23:43
Chris_w666 said:
Start with a low (but fair offer) around 7k would be my first try, regardless of what they have left in it to move the car on they may be willing to move on price and break even. Also depending on the type of dealer i.e. chain or indi they may be happier to sell at a loss than carry it for too long.
+1 you can always increase your offer But rather than increase your offer as someone said go for value added ie if they come back with we could only go to £7500 ask , what will you chuck in if i do pay £7500??
dont be afraid to walk away or at least allow them to think you will walk away
I recently bought a second hand car from a main dealer.
Asking price £7992
I offered £7000, on the basis that I could buy one from an indi for £6500.
It was refused.
Went to an auction to buy the exact same model but and it went for £6700 + buyers fee of about £300 and needed bodywork repair.
So I booked myself a ticket to buy the one from the indi.
Next day the main dealer says "we'll sell it to you for £6500" I say thank you very much.
The price you offer should depend on what your fallback position is
Asking price £7992
I offered £7000, on the basis that I could buy one from an indi for £6500.
It was refused.
Went to an auction to buy the exact same model but and it went for £6700 + buyers fee of about £300 and needed bodywork repair.
So I booked myself a ticket to buy the one from the indi.
Next day the main dealer says "we'll sell it to you for £6500" I say thank you very much.
The price you offer should depend on what your fallback position is
Gassing Station | General Gassing [Archive] | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


