What to do? Utterly depressing dilemma....
What to do? Utterly depressing dilemma....
Author
Discussion

PIGINAWIG

Original Poster:

2,339 posts

194 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
PH Massive.....

On Tuesday of this week, I took my Hilux to an Authorised Mitsubishi dealer and decided on part exchanging my Hilux for a brand new Evo X fq300 sst gsr.

Anyway, to cut a boring story short, we settled on a figure for my Hilux and struck a deal. The Evo X was in stock and was due to be collected today. My finance company has transferred funds and they have cleared into the dealership.

Then.....the salesman calls me at 2pm today to say that a technician has found an oil leak on the rear differential during the pre delivery inspection and that it's a fault from the factory and needs replacing in it's entirety.

They have asked what I want to do as the car will be 2 weeks until a new diff is fitted. I have already cancelled the direct debit at my bank for the old finance agreement on the Hilux and I have insured the new Evo etc...

Now the finance is obviously on the Evo as a new agreement and solely on that specific car, vin/index number etc..

I believe I can get the dealer to refund the finance company and I can re-instate my old direct debit on the Hilux without any issues.

I have since asked another Mitsubishi dealer regarding the time taken to replace a rear diff and parts availability. They said next day delivery and 2 hours fitting - so I'm more than confused and fackin frustrated at the minute. I'll drive to the dealer at 5pm this evening and see what the crack is.

Do I reject the car that I never took delivery of or wait until a new diff is fitted and then collect? Should they give me another similar car for the two weeks?

Sheeeesh, I was looking forward to a bit of performance this evening, driving a shiny new car away from the dealer and then this utter bo11ox occurs...

mad

Thoughts? (And if you think this thread is a: 'worst - I've got a new Evo X ever' then bugger off, cos I have not got it yet!teacher)

davidjpowell

18,690 posts

213 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
What to do....

mmm. Mr Dealer, it's too late I'm committed. Will you please find me a decent car to runabout in while you sort mine.


Corsair7

20,911 posts

276 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
PIGINAWIG said:
PH Massive.....

On Tuesday of this week, I took my Hilux to an Authorised Mitsubishi dealer and decided on part exchanging my Hilux for a brand new Evo X fq300 sst gsr.

Anyway, to cut a boring story short, we settled on a figure for my Hilux and struck a deal. The Evo X was in stock and was due to be collected today. My finance company has transferred funds and they have cleared into the dealership.

Then.....the salesman calls me at 2pm today to say that a technician has found an oil leak on the rear differential during the pre delivery inspection and that it's a fault from the factory and needs replacing in it's entirety.

They have asked what I want to do as the car will be 2 weeks until a new diff is fitted. I have already cancelled the direct debit at my bank for the old finance agreement on the Hilux and I have insured the new Evo etc...

Now the finance is obviously on the Evo as a new agreement and solely on that specific car, vin/index number etc..

I believe I can get the dealer to refund the finance company and I can re-instate my old direct debit on the Hilux without any issues.

I have since asked another Mitsubishi dealer regarding the time taken to replace a rear diff and parts availability. They said next day delivery and 2 hours fitting - so I'm more than confused and fackin frustrated at the minute. I'll drive to the dealer at 5pm this evening and see what the crack is.

Do I reject the car that I never took delivery of or wait until a new diff is fitted and then collect? Should they give me another similar car for the two weeks?

Sheeeesh, I was looking forward to a bit of performance this evening, driving a shiny new car away from the dealer and then this utter bo11ox occurs...

mad

Thoughts? (And if you think this thread is a: 'worst - I've got a new Evo X ever' then bugger off, cos I have not got it yet!teacher)
If you find this an utterly depressing dilemma then I guess you have quite a boring life.

mnkiboy

4,409 posts

195 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
PIGINAWIG said:
I believe I can get the dealer to refund the finance company and I can re-instate my old direct debit on the Hilux without any issues.
If you can do this, then what's the problem?

Yes it's a shame you can't get the car today, but be thankful they are fixing a fault which could have caused you a much bigger problem in a couple of months time.

Haighermeister

34,775 posts

189 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
In this scenario, I would always supply the customer with a courtesy (Or salesmans Demo) car as a matter of course. You've committed, they've got the finance money you just need 'something' to drive.

Andrew_M

1,111 posts

248 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
TBH, if it is an issue on a car like that it would rear it's head at some point. I would go ahead with the deal and get them to put you in a car for 2 weeks or pull the lot [as a means of encouragement]. Spending 2 weeks in a 1.3 Colt will certainly make the transition a more exciting one biggrin

LuS1fer

43,508 posts

274 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
Surely you can live with a courtesy car for 2 weeks, whatever it is, given the breach between a HiLux and an Evo, an i10 will do you surely... wink

PIGINAWIG

Original Poster:

2,339 posts

194 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
Corsair7 - many thanks for your invaluable input.

I'll go to the daealer this evening and speak with the salesmen and dealer principle. I'm happy to wait for the car to receive a new diff, but would prefer if they gave me a car for the duration.

Corsair7 - you really know me well. Now f.off

J4CKO

46,824 posts

229 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
Just tough it out, sometimes anticipation is all part of the experience, they could have just given it you with the oil leak.

As it is you get the car secure in the knowledge it is right and two weeks of free boyish excitement thrown in.

PIGINAWIG

Original Poster:

2,339 posts

194 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
Just spoke to the dealer and they've offered me a LexusSC430 convertible (looks on google!). I'll happily borrow their car and collect when mine is fixed. Thanks to all who replied. beer

T16OLE

2,965 posts

220 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
Get a courtesy car, and ask for a decent one.

Not too depressing of a dilemma I must add smile

Deerfoot

5,240 posts

213 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
I`d ask to physically see the leaking diff as well. I`m sure it`ll be fine but you never know what might have happened during the PDI.....

LuS1fer

43,508 posts

274 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
PIGINAWIG said:
Just spoke to the dealer and they've offered me a LexusSC430 convertible (looks on google!). I'll happily borrow their car and collect when mine is fixed. Thanks to all who replied. beer
After the wafty inflatable ride, the Evo is going to feel like a bed of nails in 2 weeks... wink

Lefty

21,303 posts

231 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
PIGINAWIG said:
Just spoke to the dealer and they've offered me a LexusSC430 convertible (looks on google!). I'll happily borrow their car and collect when mine is fixed. Thanks to all who replied. beer
I'd rather have the hilux! wink

Ah well, it'll make the Evo seem even better when you get it! hehe


hornetrider

63,161 posts

234 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
davidjpowell said:
What to do....

mmm. Mr Dealer, it's too late I'm committed. Will you please find me a decent car to runabout in while you sort mine.
This. Go ahead with the car, and get them to give you a courtesy car in the meantime.

PIGINAWIG

Original Poster:

2,339 posts

194 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
Will update later when I've been to the dealer - cheers shoot

5potTurbo

13,679 posts

197 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
LuS1fer said:
PIGINAWIG said:
Just spoke to the dealer and they've offered me a LexusSC430 convertible (looks on google!). I'll happily borrow their car and collect when mine is fixed. Thanks to all who replied. beer
After the wafty inflatable ride, the Evo is going to feel like a bed of nails in 2 weeks... wink
hehe

PaulFontaine

629 posts

183 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
I think it was great that they inspected and caught it I would just have them fix it and in about 10 days they should have it "sorted". They always give a longer period of time to be safe. To me the hassle of used price negotiation, new car pricing and finance paperwork and time registration and insurance etc is worth the wait. I would have them throw in a first service for free for the hassle and cost. That way everyone wins.

PIGINAWIG

Original Poster:

2,339 posts

194 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
PaulFontaine said:
I think it was great that they inspected and caught it I would just have them fix it and in about 10 days they should have it "sorted". They always give a longer period of time to be safe. To me the hassle of used price negotiation, new car pricing and finance paperwork and time registration and insurance etc is worth the wait. I would have them throw in a first service for free for the hassle and cost. That way everyone wins.
Cheers - it's got 3yrs/30,000 miles free servicing anyway!!

....perhaps I should ask for a lifetime warranty!

Chicane-UK

3,861 posts

214 months

Thursday 7th July 2011
quotequote all
I dont understand the problem.. and as has been said, if this is the biggest dilemma in your life you've got it made!

Why would you reject the car? Let them fix it, and get them to give you a hire car for the two weeks your new one is being sorted.. job done?